Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KAB (Kick Ash Basket)

Options
I'm curious for anyone who owns one, what the benefit of buying the SS model might be over another.  On BGS there is a model for 119.00 (Stainless) and a 80.00 model (which doesn't state the material details).  I've been wanting to pull the trigger on one for cleaning ease, I've heard better air-flow which I can believe as there aren't holes that can get plugged, I just wanted some input on people who might have one or the other (or both) and if the extra 40 is worth it.

Thanks!

BGE XL, Kick Ash Basket (NEW!!), Smokeware SS Cap, Flameboss 300 for S&L, BGE Lump & Fogo Lump Lover, Husker, Big Green Egging and Golf Fanatic.  Egging is an addictive hobby.

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I think they moved all production to all stainless steel all the time.  I have an original which isn't SS and is still going strong.  You'll be able to pass the SS one down to future generations.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    I have 2 of the original ones that are good old American steel, with no issues.  I imagine the stainless ones would be nice but the regular one has suited me just fine.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    I have a regular one and had no issues and it is holding up fine. It is worth it for the cleanout and reloading..  my large will always have one in it. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I have both. I’ll post a pic later but a noticeable difference (one has some rust other looks brand new). 

My stainless is sitting in my large with some hot Rockwood in it right now. Having seen both I wouldn’t buy a regular one. I just got cheap on round 1.  

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I have an early on original in my large and small eggs. I love them and use both of those eggs a lot. I have yet to see any rust issues. I suppose if I was half the age I am now I might pop for a stainless steel one, but my gut tells me my body will rust out before my steel baskets will!  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    RRP said:
    I have an early on original in my large and small eggs. I love them and use both of those eggs a lot. I have yet to see any rust issues. I suppose if I was half the age I am now I might pop for a stainless steel one, but my gut tells me my body will rust out before my steel baskets will!  =)
    Ron as you have used these for several years do you recommend buying one?  I am assuming you will say yes, so... Do you highly recommend?  Or is it just an OK accessory?  Always been on the fence as to whether i need one,  Thanks

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• RRP
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    RRP said:
    Ron as you have used these for several years do you recommend buying one?  I am assuming you will say yes, so... Do you highly recommend?  Or is it just an OK accessory?  Always been on the fence as to whether i need one,  Thanks
    Yes I do recommend them and I have  no vested interest whether you buy or do not buy!
    Over the years there have been arguments about using a standard grate underneath the KAB or not and I have always said I do not use one under. Also there have been threads about shaking the KAB after every use or not...I happen to believe and practice the shake before each cook. BTW I keep a 10 gal metal garbage can near my units for those cold ashes.
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    RRP said:
    EGGjlmh said:
    RRP said:
    Yes I do recommend them and I have  no vested interest whether you buy or do not buy!
    Over the years there have been arguments about using a standard grate underneath the KAB or not and I have always said I do not use one under. Also there have been threads about shaking the KAB after every use or not...I happen to believe and practice the shake before each cook. BTW I keep a 10 gal metal garbage can near my units for those cold ashes.
    Thanks for the info, I think it will be on my wish list

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I have nothing worthwhile to say about the KAB, since I don't have one, but I noticed your avatar, and your post count.  Welcome to the forum and GO BIG RED!  Are you in Nebraska, or just a fan?  

If you are in Omaha, you should brave the weather with @BOWHUNR and me at the SCA steak competition held at Helping U BBQ this weekend.  Bring a coat! 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    I bought one for my mbge at an egg fest a few months ago, think paid 50$ for it.
     It took a little bit to get used to using , faster temp due to better airflow and a little less lump in the basket, but clean out in a breeze with my shop vac.
  • derka123
    derka123 Posts: 102
    Options
    RRP said:
    EGGjlmh said:
    RRP said:

Ron, a lot of times I don't shake the ash before my next cook, I honestly can't tell a difference. What is the benefit of shaking the basket every time?

Also, a question for you all, why would the stainless outlive the carbon steel baskets? Only failure point I can think of would be rust, which would probably be minimal if you keep the basket in a closed egg.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I'd say stainless is you're cooking on it, otherwise my KAB will probably outlast me and I have the original version.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • RRP
    Options
    derka123 said:
    RRP said:
    EGGjlmh said:
    RRP said:

Ron, a lot of times I don't shake the ash before my next cook, I honestly can't tell a difference. What is the benefit of shaking the basket every time?

Also, a question for you all, why would the stainless outlive the carbon steel baskets? Only failure point I can think of would be rust, which would probably be minimal if you keep the basket in a closed egg.
    Since you asked - I have always stirred my left over lump to get back to what I feel is dust free lump which (to me) will light quicker. I now find shaking the KAB easier. Over the years there have been many personal preferences like this as well as covering your PS with foil or not. I just feel there are these preferences and if I or you want to do them then so be it! 
  • derka123
    derka123 Posts: 102
    Options
    RRP said:
    derka123 said:
    RRP said:
    EGGjlmh said:
    RRP said:

Since you asked - I have always stirred my left over lump to get back to what I feel is dust free lump which (to me) will light quicker. I now find shaking the KAB easier. Over the years there have been many personal preferences like this as well as covering your PS with foil or not. I just feel there are these preferences and if I or you want to do them then so be it! 

Gotcha, thanks for the input.
  • Gburner
    Gburner Posts: 13
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    I have nothing worthwhile to say about the KAB, since I don't have one, but I noticed your avatar, and your post count.  Welcome to the forum and GO BIG RED!  Are you in Nebraska, or just a fan?  

If you are in Omaha, you should brave the weather with @BOWHUNR and me at the SCA steak competition held at Helping U BBQ this weekend.  Bring a coat! 
    Born and bred Nebraska.  Live in Bennington just outside Omaha. Is that the BBQ store on 156th and Dodge?  

Also so thanks to everyone for KAB insight. 
    BGE XL, Kick Ash Basket (NEW!!), Smokeware SS Cap, Flameboss 300 for S&L, BGE Lump & Fogo Lump Lover, Husker, Big Green Egging and Golf Fanatic.  Egging is an addictive hobby.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    watch for an eggfest chad will be at, check his social media if you can, he normally has pretty good deals at the actual fests

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Yep, HUB is the one on 156th and Dodge.  They have an open house from 1100-3:00 I think.   Free samples of steak!  Plus, there's a wing and Bloody Mary competition as well.  You might have to ski in, but it should be a good time.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    I dig mine (pre SS). As RRP said, it's quick to clear ash from leftover lump and i've had no airflow issues. I noticed slight rust this fall however, which I attribute to humid summers. Egg gets used a few times a week. Going to pressure wash it this spring and see how it looks compared to new.