Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Carnita question:

Could I use a Mojo rub i.e. Eggcelsior recipe without using a dutch oven with similar results.  I want to cook 3 butts for pork carnitas and would like to just use the rub and smoke them like I would normally do for a typical smoked pork butt.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited April 2018
    A thought:
    Pork, Butt, Carnitas, Beli

For aficionados of pork, carnitas(Little Pieces of Browned Pork) are an all-time favorite in Mexico. For some reason the carnitas in the state of Michioacan have always been considered the best...couldn't be any easier!!!! Here is the recipe!!!!!

INGREDIENTS:
    3 lbs Pork Shoulder, Skin & Bone Removed
    2 tsp Salt, or to taste

PROCEDURE:

1. Cut the meat, with the fat, into strips about 2 by 3/4 inches. Barely cover the meat with water in a heavy wide pan. Add the salt and bring to a boil, uncovered. Lower the heat and let the meat continue cooking briskly until all the liquid has evaporated- by this time it should be cooked through but not falling apart.

2. Lower the heat a little and continue cooking the meat until all the fat has rendered out of it. Keep turning the meat until is lightly browned all over- total cooking time is about 1 hour 10 minutes.

3. Serve immediately for best flavor & texture.

4. Carnitas can be eaten as a main course or as a hearty botana accompanied by guacamole or preferably a fresh green sauce or Salsa Mexicana Cruda

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Meat

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Beli, 2009/01/06**********************
    Pork, Butt, Carnitas, Caramelized

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 lbs Pork Shoulder; Boneless -- *
    2 Tbs Brown Sugar -- Packed
    1 Tbs Tequila
    1 Tbs Molasses
    1/2 tsp Salt
    1/4 tsp Pepper
    2 each Clove Garlic -- Finely Chopped
    1/3 cup Water
    1 each Green Onion w/top -- Sliced

PROCEDURE:

1. Place pork cubes in single layer in 10-inch skillet. Top with remaining ingredients except green onion. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until the water has evaporated and the pork is slightly caramelized, about 35 minutes. Sprinkle with green onion and serve with wooden picks.

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Meat

Tips
    * Pork should be cut up into 1-inch cubes.

Source
    Source: South of The Border, 2011/07/03

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You could, but the smoke tends to wash out some of the flavors of the rub. At least have a pan below to catch the juices. The way I do it comes out shredded/chunks v. cutting into pieces and then frying layer.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    ^ your answer.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga