Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you folks do a ham on the BGE?

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
Probably a very simple question but I’m doing a store bought ham tomorrow for Easter and I’ve never done a ham on the Egg. As it’s already cured etc I assume I’m just using the egg like an oven and heating it through but I thought I would ask if any of you have any secrets to doing a nice ham. 

Was planning to go indirect at 275-300 and glaze with maple syrup/mustard but I’m open to any suggestions. 

Thanks in advance. 
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Well, sir - this recipe will knock your socks off! Just be prepared to be asked to do it again time and time again into the future!
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=1407
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    About 275-300 indirect with the wood of your choice.  I like sugar maple.  Score the ham deep for smoke penetration. Cook till it is around 130ish.   Just remember all your doing is reheating and adding your own smoke profile.  Thank @mickey later.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY

Let me start that for the first 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). 

Several years ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only.  Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: lots of Sugar Maple wood. Cooked at 300 till 135. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect.

New item: just did spiral ham and turned out fine. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Mickey said:

NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY

Let me start that for the first 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). 

Several years ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only.  Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: lots of Sugar Maple wood. Cooked at 300 till 135. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect.

Sounds good, Mick, but I had a chuckle thinking this idea of a mere stripped down ham coming from a car salesman who over the years probably tried to up-sell many add ons and bells and whistles!

Just razzing you, buddy! Happy Easter to you and yours!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    RRP said:
    Mickey said:

NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY

Sounds good, Mick, but I had a chuckle thinking this idea of a mere stripped down ham coming from a car salesman who over the years probably tried to up-sell many add ons and bells and whistles!

Just razzing you, buddy! Happy Easter to you and yours!!!
    My wife made me do it that way. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I know I’m too fussy but why is every ham in the store now spiral cut???  We don’t have great access to any specialty meat shops around here. Spiral was all the Mrs could find. 

I just like to cut meat myself, how I like to cut it and I find the spiral ones dry out more. There. Rant over for now (further rant likely when I cut the damn thing). 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hahaha, I agree, and avoid the spiral cut.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."