Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fishing for Golfers

Options
SSQUAL612
SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
A couple of my old Navy Buddies came up last weekend to Chill N Grill.  It had been a while since firing up the egg so we were enjoying ourselves and some Bourbon.   Well when you put 3 Bubbleheads together and add alcohol something is bound to happen.  

No one was driving and it had been 34+ years since I had seen one of the guys so we cut loose with the brown water when I had an idea...lets drill a hole through a golf ball and tie it to one of my rods and mess with some golfers.  I'm on a Par 5 about 60 yards from the green so we cast out in the middle of the fairway and waited...they would roll up and ask the other players who's ball is that?   I'd wait till they were leaning out to pick it up we would start reeling...reactions were hilarious.   

The best was this older asian man who drove up and got out to look at the ball and then went to the back of his cart to get a club, but before he came back around the cart I had reeled it in without him noticing and he was just dumbfounded as to where his ball went...he walked around to the other side of his cart then got in and drove around in a circle like a one legged duck for a minute before driving off without a clue.   

There was a Dad enjoying a round with his daughter and they were walking so she approached the ball and when she was about a yard away I jerked it real quick and startled her... she jumped back and Dad saw what was going on and just busted out loud laughing and waving.  SWMBO heard us roaring laughing and had to come see what we were up to and just left shaking her head.  I have to get some video of the reactions...they are priceless.

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I hope we don't have allot of kids trolling this forum...but as kids we did similar using a woman's purse that we would toss into the road and wait for cars to stop.lol
    Would be allot more fun today under the influence of Bourbon.
    I bet you guys had a blast!
    Funny post.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options

Beautiful! That is some very funny stuff and has a bit of thought in it.

I used to be a PGA professional at a local course and will pass this along to a few people who live on the course.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    We used to sit in the woods at the end of the ~driving range on a long Par 4.  we would wait for them to park pick a club and then shoot the ball with a pellet gun.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    As a retired bubblehead I heartily approve this behavior. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    That’s a great story. Made my day. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Submarines once... Great adaptation.  Congrats.  Not surprising it would take a few days to surface and get to the forum.  Well played.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Fan freaking tastic

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That's hilarious, would love to see video clips of that. Post on Youtube and make a small fortune.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I hope we don't have allot of kids trolling this forum...but as kids we did similar using a woman's purse that we would toss into the road and wait for cars to stop.lol
    Would be allot more fun today under the influence of Bourbon.
    I bet you guys had a blast!
    Funny post.
    We did this purse trick too.  It was hilarious.  I have no idea where I learned it.

2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    As a kid we just used to lay in the culverts and shoot bottle rockets at cars
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    epic.  Reminds me of me.
    Options
    Having a paper route as a kid I had tons of rubber bands. A friend and I tied a long string of them together and spray painted it black. Put a tennis ball in a white sock and tied to one end. Tied the other end to a tree beside our road. Stretched it across the street at night and hid behind a hedge. Douse the sock with lighter fluid, watch for an approaching car, light it and let it fly just in front of the windshield. 

Used to get some great reactions. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    A related gag....precursor to a laser pointer

Take a big fish hook and embed it in a pink pearl eraser. Make sure the point is completely buried and there is no chance of it poking out. Cast it out in the street and do some cat fishing. The rubber eraser bounces around while you reel it in and it's irresistible to cats. We spent many a summer afternoon laughing our butts off as the neighborhood felines tried to catch the eraser.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I lived on the third floor of the dorms my freshman year of college.  The whole back side of the building was glass windows.  We would put a fake $20 instead of a golf ball and watch people chase the $20 until they heard us busting up from above.  Always got funny looks and the occasional finger.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited March 2018
    Options
    My wife had some friends on Caye Caulker, a small island off the coast of Belize - small enough that there aren't any vehicles.  The roads are just sandy dirt, and the island is at least  half tourists.

So for cocktail hour, we would sit up on the balcony of their house, which was maybe 20 feet from the road.  They had a large rubber snake on some fishing line hidden in the bushes across the road.  It's near dusk, so it's a little hard to see anything clearly, and we would pull the snake out as tourists would walk by.  The reactions were hilarious (and as soon as they saw us laughing up in the balcony they would figure it out).  The fishing line was on a loop so it was easy to pull the snake back to the bush, wash, rinse, repeat.

Good times.
    NOLA
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    It was a lot of fun and I'm sure we'll do it again the next time I break out the Bourbon and my cohorts are present.  I have to setup the tripod and have someone manning the camera so we can capture the reactions.  There were only 2 people that were somewhat miffed so it shows the majority have a good sense of humor and the others need some attitude adjustment.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    We used some super strong glue and stuck a quarter to the sidewalk once. Many lolz were had. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I work in a wood shop and I like to sneak around and hot glue the other guys pencils to their benches.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Hilarious!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Some folks never grow up.

Thankfully
    Cooking on the coast
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    We were delinquents as well.

We found some black rope.
    We waited till dark. 

Tied each end to metal trash cans...this was in the 60's before rubber was invented.

Placed each trash can between two parked cars on a 1-way street.

The car would hit the rope and the cans would slam into the side of the car.

We'd be hiding on the roof of a warehouse...they never saw us.

Man did we learn some bad words then.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX