Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding another egg?

Options
I currently have a Lg Egg. I had hoped to add a small or mini / mm at some point, but found a medium for $250 in good shape. Is there enough difference between a lg and medium to justify owning both ? I originally wanted something small enough to take  camping/ tailgating  etc.   $250 seems like pretty good price tho. Any thoughts?
Grand Rapids , Mi
LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill

Comments

• RustyBeavers
    Options
    That does seem like a fair deal for a used medium. But I say hold out and get what you really want later down the road. 
    Dallas, TX

• steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    I have a MM and a large. Personally, I don’t think it’s that portable even though I’ve taken it to the beach, camping, etc. cooking space is not great for more than 4 people. I’d serve food in shifts. Kind of a pain. 
    That said, I love my MM but if I were to do it again I would probably get the medium and scrap the little bit of portability. 

• tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    I've had a medium and currently have a mini. I wish I still had the medium.
    I think the desire to have a potable egg that makes sense from a usability point of view is a pipe dream.
    I built a mini weber smoker and couldn't be happier with it. Cost me less than $50 and I take it everywhere. I can fit 4 racks of ribs on it and in don't have to worry about it breaking.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    I have a medium and XL. I had the medium first and I love it. It’s perfect for quicker weeknight cooks, andbit can handle just about anything you throw at it 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Ive had the medium, small and mini for years. Added the MM last year. None of them are portable. Even the mini is 35lbs. Weber jumbo joes are very portable and they have the same cooking space as a large. Ive since sold the small. 

The medium is is the best egg I’ve had. Its performance for getting hot fast is phenomenal. It has the same volume air intake and exhaust as the large and the xl, but is just a little bigger than the small on interior volume. This gives it what I believe the finest heat control at any desired heat level across any of the eggs. I use my medium first for every cook, sometimes even when a smaller egg could be used. I’d take it at $250. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited March 2018
    Options
    A second egg expands your cooking options. Go for it. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I would jump all over that medium. I bought a used one as a second egg and loved it. Got rid of it to buy another large. I missed the medium so much that I bought another one. It's the most frequently used egg that I have. Feeds our family of 5 with ease and works great for smaller smokes and sides.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • kingsmoke
    kingsmoke Posts: 151
    Options
    Thx for all the feedback. Just gotta convince "you know who" that I NEED IT
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    I have a circa 2009 medium. The only problem that I have is that since the newer mediums have a 15.75 inch grill rather than the 15 inch that the old ones have the Ceramic Grill Store only makes accessories for the newer mediums. I do have a Kick Ash Basket for it which is nice and the original platesetter and a Looftlighter.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    At $250 assuming you have checked it out well is a steal! OTOH of my eggs my two workhorses are my large and small. Furthermore since there are just the two of us then my small easily gets 2/3rds of all my cooks! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    I have an XL, medium, and MM.  Medium is my favorite egg.  For $250 and in good shape I would definitely jump on it.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Regardless of what you want,  250 for a medium is a steal. Buy it. Get whatever you want later. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Got my medium
    for $200. 

Wouldnt trade it for $699. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I got a MM, as an addition to my large. Depends how many you cook for.  I use my large 10x more than the  MM.  It's a good egg, but no egg is truly portable.  Especially a medium.  I recommend buying one for each spot you cook, leave it behind... Not sure that's an option if camping or traveling, but hey, I  don't know your situation!

I've brought my MM camping, truly fun to cook a pork butt  on the trip, but once  a year. It's heavy. That's part of why it works.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.