Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CGS HELP!!!!! What does it all mean

Options

Howdy All from sunny England,

Relatively new EggHead

I need help deciphering the minefiled that are the CGS offerings for increased capacity.  The names all sound like they belong in a hip hop outfit

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Hi Shanks, Call them directly, Tom is the coolest guy in the world. He'll spend all the time you need 940-387-0100 tell him your on this forum.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    By the way, welcome to the forum. There are several eggers here from across the pond. Post up some cooks when you get a chance. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    We were there just yesterday. Had a great visit with Tom. @tjv
    Give him a call!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    As mentioned above, @Eoin is quite active here from your side of the pond and there are a few others who are on the forum.  
    Another endorsement for a phone call-explain (in plain English... ;) ) what you want to achieve and you will get set right.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Or you can do like i did and add everything to your cart you might think you could possibly ever need.  You might as well pay for one shipment than 3 separate as you add stuff on.  

Welcome!  Welcome!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Hi there, I've not bought from CGS yet, just a bit put off by shipping and import costs. Will be interesting to see how you get on if you take the plunge!
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Maybe orchestrate a group buy!  There are a few of you on here!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Eoin
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Maybe orchestrate a group buy!  There are a few of you on here!
    I think @Stormbringer has some cgs stuff he brought back himself, nobody else so far that I know of.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Welcome from another UK Egger. I don't have any CGS kit, like @Eoin I was put off solely by the shipping costs and £/$ rate, the equipment is fine.

To answer your question @Shanks_Kop there are two basic options, PSWoo2 with extender and Adjustable Rig (AR). I had a very good (email) conversation with Terri at CGS, where I was thinking about going with the PSWoo2 and AR later if needed. This is an extract of the email:

The big difference between the Adjustable Rig and the PSWoo2 is that the levels are fixed on the PSWoo2 - bottom grid at felt line, top grid 3.5 inches above that.

The Adjustable Rig has 3 levels inside the rig at 1.5 inches, 3.0 inches and 4.5 inches (just above felt line) above the fire ring. The top of the rig is 6 inches above the fire ring and will hold the 18"  stock grid. The Extender for the rig is 1.5 inches above the top of the rig. The Rig Extender can hold a 13 inch x 17 inch oval grid OR the 16 inch sliding D-grid.

You mentioned buying the PSWoo2 setup now and possibly ordering the Adjustable Rig later. Just understand that once you have an Adjustable Rig, you most likely will never use the PSWoo2 setup again.

If you combine this explanation with the pictures and videos on their website, you should have all the information you need. If not, give CGS a call or send them an email.

There is a growing groundbase of Eggers in the UK and indeed Europe that could use kit like this. BBQ and Smoke in Scotland import kit from other USA manufacturers, I let them know about @tjv and CGS some time ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Eoin
    Options
    @Stormbringer, what do you think the market is here? I was wondering about importing a few sets of CGS kit to make the shipping worthwhile.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    Just go ahead and buy one of everything.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    I went and looked. I have the old medium Egg. I'm not upgrading in order to add a Woo. Any upgrade will be to a large.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    CGS Means Compensation Goes South
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Shanks_Kop
    Shanks_Kop Posts: 3
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I have more BBQ's than sense (Webers kettles and smokers, hibachi's foukou and a few other bits and bobs)

It looks like some of my actual post got chopped ...

Current set up: Large BGE with platesetter with standard and Cast Iron Grates.

Motivation: The main driver is increased (maximum) capacity when the need arises.

What I tend to cook: predominantly Chicken ( Wings, drums, thighs)/ Beef (Whole Briskets and roasts)/Lamb ( shoulders, legs). I want to be able to do multiple briskets or lamb shoulders if the need arrises .

I've got a one time opportunity saving on shipping costs to the UK, so would like to put one order in and get all that is required.  All help is greatly apprecaited.

I'm lookig to go all out and leaning towards the Large Adjustable Rig R & B Oval Combo 

A few questions

• If i orderthe above anything additional recommend, for what i tend to cook?
    • Watching the Chicken video at the start there seems a gap for another grate to be added ( second to last level), is it possible to have three levels for smaller items ( say jointed wings)?
    • if so which style of grate do you recommend ( oval or D) and which of the rods?

Any other considerations?  Just after other opinions more than anything

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I think 3 levels is tricky, unless you get the extender that sits on top of the AR. 

I have the AR R&B combo and love it. Very versatile setup and you can adapt it to all kinds of egging scenarios. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

This is the three levels @caliking mentions.  to go indirect with this I use a spider with a small stone. I’m still learning all the ways to use the AR. But I really like the flexibility, and the ease of changing and rearranging it. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Wheely
    Wheely Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi Shanks Kop

I took the plunge about a year ago and ordered quite a few items from CGS. Yes the shipping costs were quite high so I made sure that I ordered everything that I needed for my family of eggs.

The items below are what I use the most on my XL and cover nearly all of my cooking needs.

XL adjustable rig with all the add on's
    XL KAB
    XL Wok
    XL and MM in the UK, M in France
  • Shanks_Kop
    Options
    blind99 said:

This is the three levels @caliking mentions.  to go indirect with this I use a spider with a small stone. I’m still learning all the ways to use the AR. But I really like the flexibility, and the ease of changing and rearranging it. 
    Is it possible to use the BGE platesetter, with this set up, instead of purchasing spider and stone?
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    To cook on three levels of the adjustable rig a spider and a thirteen inch stone with the extender is needed unless Tom has redisigned the rig since I bought mine. If you notice @blind99 is cooking pork belly and it is only a couple of inches thick. It is possible to cook on two levels without spider and small stone, but you will need an indirect piece for the bottom level and the extender. I haven't used my platesetter in 7 years.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE