Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Decided to do a midnight pork butt

Options
At halftime of watching my Cavaliers making epic history I needed to distract myself, so I went to the market and got a 9lbs butt. Put on a load of Dizzy Dust and got the egg going while the score kept getting worse. Put it on right at midnight at 230 dome temp.

Woke up this morning and for the first few seconds thought the loss was just a bad dream. Fortunately after I realized it did indeed happen, I also remembered I had a butt going all night. Went out to check it at 7am and the dome temp was resting right at 220 with clean smoke still coming out of the daisy wheel.  Probed the butt and it's still in the 160 degree stall.  Hoping this is a winner, my team sure isn't!

Comments

• scootr2200
    Options
    Nice butt! 

I got my Egg going around midnight and put our 11.5 lb shoulder on at 3:30..  I'm sitting at 142* IT currently with a grate temp of 253*.

We shall eat well tonight!

Mickey
    Western NC Egger since January 2014

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    looks good.   No drip pan though?  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • CarolinaQ
    CarolinaQ Posts: 81
    Options
    Nice butt! 

I got my Egg going around midnight and put our 11.5 lb shoulder on at 3:30..  I'm sitting at 142* IT currently with a grate temp of 253*.

We shall eat well tonight!

Mickey
    Sounds like a great timeline. Hoping to be done by noon so I bumped it up to 275 dome temp. Lazy Saturdays are the best. 

GoooDawgs said:
    looks good.   No drip pan though?  
    I never have used one. Not sure the reason to. The egg keeps plenty of moisture and drippings in a hot pan seem to smoke the same as drippings on a hot platesetter. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Put spacers between the platesetter and the drip pan. Keeps it from burning/smoking. Aluminum foil balls work, or three rocks for that matter. No water needed in drip pan.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CarolinaQ
    Options
    Put spacers between the platesetter and the drip pan. Keeps it from burning/smoking. Aluminum foil balls work, or three rocks for that matter. No water needed in drip pan.
    Does that just prevent the grease from steaming, or do something else too? Is the flavor difference noticeable?
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    Your smoked butt looks much better than the ones I saw on tv last night. 
  • CarolinaQ
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    Your smoked butt looks much better than the ones I saw on tv last night. 
    Ha! That was one of the hardest games I've ever watched. I was actually supposed to be front row at it, but the group I watched the early games with all had other things to do at night and I didn't want to be there solo, and have same tix for Sunday so of course assumed I'd see Virginia playing then. Instead I'll be seeing the Retrievers vs. K State.  So painful. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Protein cook is coming along quite well.  

Regarding the benefits of an air-gapped drip pan here's one that hasn't been mentioned; the pan will keep the grease from finding its way to your lump load.  Trust me when I say that should you ever end up with your L&S fire finding its way to grease soaked lump, things can heat up in a hurry.
    I did have a foil lined air-gapped pan but managed to create a channel where a good bit of the renderings found their way to the lump.  After many hours of stability, once the fire got there I had to pull everything out (PSWOO to the rescue) throw in a bunch of ice cubes and get things back under control.  Better to be lucky than good!  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CarolinaQ
    edited March 2018
    Options
    13 hours in and it's at 195 internal. Going to give it a few more degrees then FTC it for an hour or two before pulling. Used a mix of hickory and apple for smoke, think the bark looks OK. Maybe will add a little sugar next time to the dizzy dust to get it a bit darker.