Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping Pulled Pork Warm and Juicy After Pulling?

Options
I have been acquired by some friends of mine to cook 2 boston butts for their 4th of July party after they found out that I now have an egg. I have never cooked for more then 6 people before so I am a little nervous. My biggest concern is going to be keeping the pork warm and delicious after it has been pulled. I am thinking it will need to stay warm without drying out for at least 1-2 hours. I am not sure if I will have access to a power outlet or not since they might be serving the food outside away from their house. Any advice or help will be appreciated.

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Why not just keep it wrapped and kept it an cooler til your ready to eat? I'm thinking that should give you at least a four hr window.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

Yep. Keep wrapped in cooler until ready to pull/eat.  Pull and cover in foil.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    As above, just pull when your ready to eat.
  • brock9281
    brock9281 Posts: 64
    Options
    If you decide to smoke day before and pull night before just place pulled meat into 1 gallon freezer zip-lock bags with all air squeezed out. When ready to eat just boil a large pot of water and place bag o' pork in boiling water
    Atlanta, GA
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Three Words : Foil, Towel, Cooler.

Cook it, wrap it, insulate it in a small cooler....it will be better and will be perfect 3-6 hours later.

It will impress the crowds when you show up with 2 bark-laden butts and start pulling them right there and can say, "Yeah. I smoked those."
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I gather Mike wants to keep it warm and juicy AFTER he pulls it. I mean, he HAS to take it out of that cooler and pull it sometime

I'm the last person to ask. I find that it starts drying up a millisecond after it is pulled. Maybe a crock pot with lid? Dunno.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Crockpot on warm with lid is perfect.  Or anything with a lid.  Let it cool down to 120-140 before pulling it to minimize moisture loss through steam.
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone! I will definitely do FTC until I am ready to pull then try @nolaegghead method for keeping it warm while it's being served. I plan on trying a slightly altered version of Adam Perry Lang's recipe for pull pork for the party. I've never cooked his recipe before so I'm doing a trial run with it this weekend to see if it's good or not. I'm sure I will start a new thread and post plenty of pics during the cooking process. :)
  • TheManOnTheBus
    Options
    Wondering if I close the vents if I can leave it in BGE for a few hours while oven cools down. Shouls take a few hours to get down to say 50C. Does that work? Or will it dry our?

Thanks!
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    You do not want to have meat on the egg while choking down a fire.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I collect juices in a pan during the cook. Then rehydrate with that and a coca cola after then pan has been pulled for about an hour.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I collect juices in a pan during the cook. Then rehydrate with that and a coca cola after then pan has been pulled for about an hour.
    I do the same with Dr Pepper...you do NOT taste the soda!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options