Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has Spring, TX Always Been This Dangerous?

Options

Comments

• BulletGrillHouse
    Options
    This story is not correct, she set up a friend, but I think Spirng Chicken got out at a good time.
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Sorry, just saw your note. It used to be a wonderful place to live 29 years ago. Spring is about 30 miles north of Houston. We could drive by cows and longhorns on our way to the grocery store. Loved it then but when it got too scary to get out of our house we knew it was time to move. Crime was all around us. Now we don't hear gun shots (except for hunters) and no police sirens. It is so peaceful here and that is just what we needed. Thanks for asking about us. Life is good in Covington, Louisiana :-)
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Sorry, just saw your note. It used to be a wonderful place to live 29 years ago. Spring is about 30 miles north of Houston. We could drive by cows and longhorns on our way to the grocery store. Loved it then but when it got too scary to get out of our house we knew it was time to move. Crime was all around us. Now we don't hear gun shots (except for hunters) and no police sirens. It is so peaceful here and that is just what we needed. Thanks for asking about us. Life is good in Covington, Louisiana :-)
    Thanks for the explanation, Judy. Several times over the last 16 years I have heard  questions about someone moving to the Houston area. I always replied that I know a guy in nearby Spring, TX who goes bear hunting or was that boar hunting with a switch instead of a gun or was that some other feral critter? He would merely wear a plastic coat made of black garage bags?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Image result for MIB physics book gif
    Options
    Susan Mize 17 is being accused of orchestrating a plot to carjack her friend in Texas
    Options
    My Sweetie "Spring Hen" just told me about this thread.  All I can say is that Spring was wonderful for the first 20 or so years.  Then crime began to increase all around us.  Then they were starting to invade our comfort zone.

Then it wasn't long before the criminals moved into our neighborhood. 

Then one day we had to call the Police to report the theft of some tools from our garage.  That's when we realized that it was time for us to leave.   

It wasn't so much the tools (one item was actually worthless) but the fact that we knew they would be back.  Fortunately, we had the ability to move away from there.  Most of our neighbors didn't have that luxury.  Many are fearful they will be next, and statistically speaking, they probably will be hit sooner or later.  Some are downright frightened.

From what we heard while living there, and now read in the on-line neighborhood chat room, most of the crime started out involving prostitutes and young people.  They continue to be a problem but now older, more experienced criminals are making things even worse. 

Of course their activities have continued to increase in frequency and in intensity.   At least one person was killed in the street just blocks from our house.

It's a shame that crime could get so bad that the only sensible way to protect ourselves and our property was to move.  We talked about it for years but never took the next step.   We hoped the Police could control it.  They can't control it, as evidenced by the increasing frequency and intensity of criminal acts.

So here we are in Covington Louisiana where we not only feel safe, we feel comfortable for the first time in years.

As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now you know the rest of the story."

Poulet de "Color Us Gone" Printemps
    formerly Spring "Fill In The Blank" Chicken
    Covington Louisiana USA

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    My Sweetie "Spring Hen" just told me about this thread.  All I can say is that Spring was wonderful for the first 20 or so years.  Then crime began to increase all around us.  Then they were starting to invade our comfort zone.

Then it wasn't long before the criminals moved into our neighborhood. 

Then one day we had to call the Police to report the theft of some tools from our garage.  That's when we realized that it was time for us to leave.   

It wasn't so much the tools (one item was actually worthless) but the fact that we knew they would be back.  Fortunately, we had the ability to move away from there.  Most of our neighbors didn't have that luxury.  Many are fearful they will be next, and statistically speaking, they probably will be hit sooner or later.  Some are downright frightened.

From what we heard while living there, and now read in the on-line neighborhood chat room, most of the crime started out involving prostitutes and young people.  They continue to be a problem but now older, more experienced criminals are making things even worse. 

Of course their activities have continued to increase in frequency and in intensity.   At least one person was killed in the street just blocks from our house.

It's a shame that crime could get so bad that the only sensible way to protect ourselves and our property was to move.  We talked about it for years but never took the next step.   We hoped the Police could control it.  They can't control it, as evidenced by the increasing frequency and intensity of criminal acts.

So here we are in Covington Louisiana where we not only feel safe, we feel comfortable for the first time in years.

As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now you know the rest of the story."

Poulet de "Color Us Gone" Printemps
    formerly Spring "Fill In The Blank" Chicken
    Covington Louisiana USA

Thanks for your explanation. We too left a nice home in Poria as crime kept inching toward us, That was some 38 years ago. I will NEVER agree that our move was a matter of white flight..but a matter that we were soon (at that time) turning 40  
    in a few more years and wanted to sink our final roots! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'm glad you feel safe where you live now.  (Says the gentleman from Flint, MI).
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Flint is ok, but, like Mexico, don't drink the water...
    Options
    Flint is ok, but, like Mexico, don't drink the water...
    http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2017/09/flint_once_again_in_top_10_mos.html

Ahem...OK?
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited March 2018
    Options
    And Spring, TX is a safe haven compared to Galveston.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas