Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak still a little over done but getting there

Options
take 2 and still a little to well for me but I’m getting there I lowered the temp to 550 and did 2 min flip 2 min flip 2 min while vents were closed. Plated and cover let rest for 5 min. 
Long Island NY    
1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18

Comments

• 22FireBall22
    Options
    Looks real good to me. I haven't tried steak yet. Are you closing the dome between flips and then also closing the vents for the last 2 min?
    Rules for Living on the Suwannee River
    Rule # 1 - Don't sweat the small stuff!
    Rule # 2 - Everything is small stuff!
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I'm still getting it dialed in too. I've been doing steaks on my Weber for 35 years and have that down to a science. The BGE has a whole different dynamic. We'll get there with practice. Thankfully, practice tastes good.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Generally since my wife likes hers well and I am medium I use the plate setter and just pull hers over to one of the 3 plate setter openings, much hotter there and can get both done the same time without having to change stuff out. Yours look great. I just go by feel for the finish. 
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    Looks real good to me. I haven't tried steak yet. Are you closing the dome between flips and then also closing the vents for the last 2 min?
    brought egg up to 550 about 1 hour total time from lighting to putting steak on. Steak was out of fridge for 30-45 minutes spyder with CI grate down low 2 minutes dome closed, open dome flip close dome 2 min, open dome flip close dome close all vents 2 min, open dome put on plate cover in foil, open vents put on asparagus 5 min or so uncover plate drain the juice from plat add the asparagus and eat (of course picture of food first)

Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    im going to ask my butcher for a thicker cut 1.5"-2" (yesterday were 1.25) and Ill drop time to 1min 45 sec a side bring temp back up to 700. Although I realize as im typing this that there were 3 steps i left out of above;
    1. I rub steaks with salt pepper, garlic powder 2 hours 
    2. I brush the CI grates with grapeseed oil just before putting steaks on (I always brush CI grate with grape seed oil when storing not sure if this is necessary, I know I do it to all my CI pans inside so why not to my CI grate outside)
    3. I put 3 patts of butter onto each steak immediately after I put on the grill the first time and then again after flipping the first time.

I think i just realized what one of the problems could be, Putting the butter on would cause flare up and even though I set the dome temp at 550 (down from 800 my last cook) when the butter melts Im sure its causing a flare up that would be equal to cooking at a higher temp for 30-45 seconds. I always walk away when i close dome and prep the veg and do the dishes so im not watching the temp or hearing the flare. I know when I return after the 2:00 min alarm the dome temp still reads 550, and just to clarify I set a 1:45 alarm so as to be at the grill in exactly 2:00 minutes
    Long Island NY    
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Those look highly edible.  You'll get to where you want to be, don't worry.

If I can offer a suggestion,  Only change 1variable at a time.  You're talking about playing with 3 different variables simultaneously.  Steak thickness, time and temp.  You'll gain better understanding of if you monitor each variable individually.  Just my 0.02.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • mlc2013
    Options
    thanks for the heads up johnnyp  That makes sense
    Long Island NY    
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yep, I’d eat that horrendous mistake right up. Mmmmm. Looks plenty juicy still. It’s only a matter of a few degrees internal. The thicker the protein the wider the margin imo. Plus you get to make a bigger pig of yourself. Win win. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    550 used to work for me with the castiron grid, too much hotter and it way over charred. is that the bge ci, i used the other side for steaks and the flat side for burgers. thermapen is the tool for steaks, i found overtime i like ribeyes just a few degrees higher than strips and a degree or two higher and its over cooked
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Options
    Always better to go under than risk over has helped me get them the way me and my wife like them. I would most def still eat and enjoy that. The char is tasty.
  • mlc2013
    Options
    Yep, I’d eat that horrendous mistake right up. Mmmmm. Looks plenty juicy still. It’s only a matter of a few degrees internal. The thicker the protein the wider the margin imo. Plus you get to make a bigger pig of yourself. Win win. 
    i love winning

Long Island NY    
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The steaks look good- great color on them. I overcooked my first few as well. I followed the advice on the forum and got a good instant read thermometer.

"Cook to temperature (internal meat temp) not time". 

I think it really is true. You can't come up with any kind of egg temperature and time formula that will be repeatable because there are too many variables. Thickness of meat, density, starting temp, flare ups, etc. 

Check out the Thermoworks Thermapen or Thermopop, and also the Lavatools Javelin. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• mlc2013
    Options
    fishlessman i didnt use thermapen i just went by eye and yes BGE CI this side up

Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    SmokeyPitt i have a tehrmpen dont know why i didnt use
    i will next go around
    Long Island NY    
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    fishlessman i didnt use thermapen i just went by eye and yes BGE CI this side up

I’m a cook by feel guy for steaks unless I have company and then I crutch myself with the thermo pen. Once you get the feel it’s pretty simple. Either way it’s fun eating your way to,perfection. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Way to keep closing in on the exclusive target.  I am a big fan of reverse sear with a caveman finish.  Use the thermopen to hit your finish temp.  There are many ways to get there but when you hit the temp you have arrived.  FWIW- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Still looks VERY edible...... =)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS