Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Rib Eye Cap Pinwheel

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
My local butcher Sages Meat Market is now carrying some SRF cuts.

This was a Pinwheel steak made from the Rib Eye Cap.

Just S & P and cooked directly on the grill grates.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Great deal with your butcher and even better cook right there.  Congrats.  I'm sure it was a true banquet.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Beautiful cook. My favorite part of the ribeye.

Side question: What do they do with the other part of the ribeye? Dos it have a name? Never seen ribeye for sale without the cap.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    dmchicago said:

Side question: What do they do with the other part of the ribeye? Dos it have a name? Never seen ribeye for sale without the cap.
    Thanks, next time I will try a reverse sear.
    I checked the SRF site and they sell the ribeye caps by themselves. I asked my butcher the same question.
    He can special order ribeyes as well but does not stock them yet. The price for the SRF pinwheel was $59.99 per lb.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    dmchicago said:

SRF offers the eye as "ribeye filets".

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef/steaks/american-kobe-ribeye.html
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Great looking steak! 

dmchicago said:

@dmchicago
    I think they use the remaining center portion for Ribeye filets.

(edit)
    As usual, I am bested by @Eggcelsior.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SRF_Sean
    SRF_Sean Posts: 15
    Options
    dmchicago said:

SRF offers the eye as "ribeye filets".

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef/steaks/american-kobe-ribeye.html
    Spot on, guys. That's exactly what we do with the leftover ribeye when we remove the cap. The industry name used is usually "eye of ribeye" when the cap is absent, if you ever run across it.
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    My favorite part of a cow! Costco carries these for 14.99#. Delicious stuff.