Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving a large egg

Options
preparing to move my large egg to a new house. Tried to put the white spacers on and they won’t fit over both bolts. 

Any suggestions?  Should I just empty the guts and leave the lid on?

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Are you using a moving company? 

When I moved from Chicago to Austin, I let them handle it since it was insured if anything got f'd up. 

All went well.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Bowne1
    Bowne1 Posts: 20
    Options
    If you are moving yourself, here is what I have done with 3 eggs. First, take out the fire box and ring. Put each one separate in plastic bag and wrap them in cheap blankets and put tape around. Next, I fill the inside (stuff full) with old blankets and once it is full level with the felt line, I sandwich a blanket between the lid and base. From there I wrap the eggs with plastic shrink wrap where the lid will not open. I learned this from a moving company. Seems a little overkill, but have never had a problem. 
    Large, Med and a Yoder YS480 . 1 Beautiful Wife, 2 Dogs and always looking for a MM 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,824
    Options
    I  always take them apart. It's much lighter that way and you isolate each piece from breakage. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    take the guts out and tighten the bands before attempting to move.
    I've never understood the practice of stuffing hollow things with blankets to protect against breakage,  but then again there is a lot I don't understand...
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,359
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Take the guts out, loosen the bottom band and remove the dome and hinge assembly.

Easy Peasy 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SandyHookEgger
    Options
     put it in the back of a pickup truck. have wife hold it securely. 
  • larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    Options
    You forgot to threaten the wife with her life if the egg does a Humpty Dumpty !!!!! Lol
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,148
    Options
    We took the guts out and transported one in its side last month. Don’t know if I should have been, but I WAS nervous! 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    I'll be moving my LBGE this spring, thanks for the info!!!  
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    Once you take everything out, it is actually not very heavy.  I would avoid removing the dome.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have moved a large many times just pick it up guts and all (need two strong people) put in back of pickup truck or Ford Expedition secure with ratchet straps so it cant fall our and drive it to where you want it. If a mover is doing it and it's insured I would let them do it how ever they want because I wouldn't want them to say well we packed it as you requested and it broke. Hope this helps.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    Empty it and then get you a set of “pot lifters”.  Moving it around then becomes super easy with two people.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Action_Hank
    Options
    I removed the guts, slipped a piece of cardboard between the lid and base, and zip-tied it shut.  I must be a bit of a nancy, bc that motha was heavyyyy....  It might might have helped too if I had used gloves while moving.  The intake mouth is the only place for good grip, and that baby gets sharp when your sweatin'

Protip:  Do NOT lift egg at all by the lid, even if you think it's secure.
    "It's not the beard on the outside that counts, its the beard on the INSIDE."

LBGE   -   Lexington, KY