Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st time overnight Brisket Questions

Options
So I am about to attempt to do a 10 pound pre trimmed brisket for the 1st time. Going to do an overnight cook. Planning on eating around noon-1pm tomorrow. Should I start getting fire ready now and put the brisket on around 11pm after temp as stabilized around 250ish? I figure trimmer weight will be around 9lbs or so. I don’t mind being done a little early I just don’t want to be done late. Also any advice for how much lump to put in the egg and how to light it.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Fill the lump up to the fire ring. Light it in multiple spots. Give yourself an hour or so for the temp to settle in for an overnight cook
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    250 sounds good, yes start the fire, I light mine with 1 cube in the middle, lump up to the top of the fire ring rounded off
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Ok I am still a noob so dumb question. is the fire ring the ceramic piece I set the plate setter on? Or the bottom ceramic piece. And your saying fill it to the top of that?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Woodchunk
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Yes the fire ring sits on top of the fire box and the PS sits on the fire ring. If I do a long cook then I put enough lump in to get at least half way up the fire ring, sometimes almost to the bottom of the PS with wood chunks on the lump
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Gotcha. Thanks!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Next time start your fire a good two-three hours early to get the whole deal well stabilized (no vent movement for an hour) before loading the protein.  Too late to the party this time.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    So I  just filled the lump to almost the top of the fire ring and lit it in 2 places. I’m hoping to give it till around midnight to stabilize around 250. If I put meat on at midnight and it’s around 9lbs trimmed that should give me around 10-11 hours at 250. In my experience on the weber Smokey mountain that should be pretty good. Any reason to think this should be different?

• Woodchunk
    edited March 2018
    Options
    They all cook different, if this ones slow you can wrap or bump the temp or both When you get up in the am
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    So I  just filled the lump to almost the top of the fire ring and lit it in 2 places. I’m hoping to give it till around midnight to stabilize around 250. If I put meat on at midnight and it’s around 9lbs trimmed that should give me around 10-11 hours at 250. In my experience on the weber Smokey mountain that should be pretty good. Any reason to think this should be different?
    You can always bump the temp in the morning as it will probably be in the stall area, 160-170, and push it through. Finished brisket will hold in cooler for many hours. Biggest problem is trying to time with eating time. So much better to finish early and give it a nice rest.
    let us know how it goes.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Getting ready to put on in about 30min. Seasoned Texas way just S&P. Trimmed about 2.5 pounds off 

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    How's she coming along? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    talk about suspension

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Held around 260 mos of the night. Had to open bottom vent slightly to clear ash then put vents back. This is the 1st time I’ve opened the lid since I put it on.  

• mlc2013
    Options
    no drip pan, what is the IT?

Long Island NY    
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Meat probe is showing 194!!! 7 hours 40 min and it’s almost done! I guess in the cooler it goes for a few hours once it hits 200 or so and slides like buttah

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    No drip pan. But I did foil underneath until it shrunk down to be covered by the plate setter

• Gravytrain84
    Options
    Looking good! That was a quick cook!
  • mlc2013
    Options
    I am no expert cook, especially with brisket being I only have 1 under my belt. Im a beginner just like you, and the the only thing I see that people might point out, is that you put the brisket in backwards (at least that what it looks like to me). I was told to put the point facing the rear of the grill and the flat facing the front and from what I can tell from picture you have it the other way (again im no expert you might have it right and I just cant tell from photo). The reason they told me to do that was because the point is fatter and takes longer to get to temp then the flat and the back of the grill gets hotter then the front because of the airflow from the front vent and plus the fact when you open the grill the from calls quicker then the rear.
    Long Island NY    
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    So that was weird. I’ve always used the thermometer as a guide and moreso used feel to determine doneness. Well the probe reading 194 had me a little stumped because it didn’t feel that done so I checked with the probe in another spot close to where it was before and sure enough now the probe is reading 185 which feels about right. I guess my gut was right and I got a few more hours to go.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Crap. Ya I figured I did something wrong. I read that to and totally forgot given it was midnight when I put the dang thing on. O well guess I can flip it for these last 2-3 hours 

• mlc2013
    Options
    when I did mine the flat was 10 degrees different from the point, they told me to go off the thickest part and when that probed around 200 it was time to go by feel, the thinner part has a lot of fat in it and go get a higher IT and still be moist. Mine had about 5 degree different in the fatter part so i went until the lowest temp was around 200
    Long Island NY    
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Ya I have my alarm trigger set for 200. That’s always been the sweet spot for me. I’ll check back in after a couple hours. Now to just wait.

• mlc2013
    Options
    good luck ill look for the results tonight when im back online
    Long Island NY    
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Nice looking bark on that protein.  Patience is the watch-word as you wait for the "feel".  Enjoy the remainder of the cook and follow-on eats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Sweet lookin' meteorite right there.  Great eats await.  
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    WOW! That looks amazing!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Wow!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...