Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mediterranean Pork Tenderloin

Options
mr toad
mr toad Posts: 779
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Mediterranean Pork Tenderloin[p]
Butterfly the loin – careful not to cut through[p]Cover with grape leaves[p]Layer: one row of anchovies [p] one row of stuffed green olives and/or black olives[p] generous layer of sun dried tomatoes[p] even more generous layer of feta cheese[p] sprinkle with basil, a bit of onion, and garlic[p] [p]Roll or fold the loin – tie and dust with smoked spanish paprika [p] [p]smoke with grape wood – 350 indirect – until an internal temp. of 140[p]let stand 15 min – slice and serve[p]enjoy - mr toad[p]

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• mr toad
    Options
    "thanks" to kennyg for bringing the spanish paprika[p]mr toad
                        Smoke no Evil

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Mr. Toad,
    That sounds good except for the anchovies. Any suggestions for a substitution or just leave em out?

• mr toad
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]alyce is not an anchovy fan - but i could not come up with a substitute - leave them out i suppose or help me come up with a substitute[p]mr toad
                        Smoke no Evil

• dhuffjr
    Options
    Mr. Toad,
    I had a thought...and googled anchovie powder and found:[p]* Anchovy Powder : Good for Doen-jang Chigae, or other soup. Good source of Calcium. [p] < How to make : Remove heads and black guts from dried anchovies. Put them in a microwavable dish, and cook for 1 minuet or cook over a skillet without oil. Then grind them well. > [p]Now I know for sure I'll never eat them....."BLACK GUTS"!!!!!! acckkkkkkkkkkkk
    AT first I thought maybe a little of the flavor without actually eating them whole.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Mr. Toad, well it is still Thursday so I guess you are good to your word. This looks good. Wish I had been able to taste it. Thanks. :-)

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]Haven't you been watching the news? Great source of Omega 3, great brain food. LOL AZ
  • mr toad
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]i guess when the first cave man looked at the first cow and said, "look at those four dangle things - lets go pull on them and drink what every come out" you would have said, "not me pal" :)[p]seriously, there is an anchovy paste - casey, my cooking buddy suggested i use it next time - [p]mr toad

Smoke no Evil

• dhuffjr
    Options
    Mr. Toad,
    They would have had an example laying next to them to figure that one out :>)[p]But your right. I'm adventurous to a point with food. I have limits though.

• Babyray
    Babyray Posts: 250
    Options
    Mr. Toad,[p]Can't get grape leaves, grape wood, or spanish paprika in McComb, Ms... what can I use instead? Love anchovies..Sorry I missed the fest, but intend to go next year..Met you in 2002..Give our regards to the wife.[p]Ray Price

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Mr. Toad,
    That looks like a winner recipe! We like Mediterranean food so I'm gonna give this a try. The discussion about anchovies; I would recommend hummus as a substitute, the girls love hummus.
    DianaQ made stuffed grape leaves last week so we are very familiar with that item brined and with feta cheese, Wisconsin makes some of the best. I have smoked paprika just waiting to be used for somthing like this. I'm thinking of adding roasted red peppers to the stuffing, I like that smoky-sweet flavor.
    Thanks!
    Clay, all eggcited.

• mr toad
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]great ideas - keep us informed - i thought the tenderloin was good - but it needed a "bump" - maybe you have something here[p]mr toad

Smoke no Evil

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Babyray,
    Grape leaves are in big supermarkets or ethnic markets, usually in the pickle section, brined in glass jars. Rinse in cold water to remove excess salt, cut out the tuff stems if any.
    Substitute with steamed spinach, press out excess water into paper towels then sprinkle lightly with kosher flake salt and your good to go. www.penzeys.com sells smoked paprika,(excellent by the way) and apple or guava wood for smoking would work, me thinks.
    Clay

• TheHulk
    TheHulk Posts: 157
    Options
    Babyray,[p]I saw some grape leaves at Brookshire's in Ridgeland last week. I haven't seen any grape wood around here yet.[p]Andy
  • TheHulk
    TheHulk Posts: 157
    Options
    Mr. Toad,[p]I liked the tenderloin you cooked but don't remember tasting any anchovies. I just remember the olives and grape leaves. Is the paste a strong fishy taste? I have a feeling I would try the recipe leaving this ingrediant out all together.[p]Andy
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    EggcredibleHulk,
    See if you can find someone with grape vines. My grandpa has some.....time to call and check in on him. I actually call him every Friday. We can talk about something other than the weather and his horse today :>)

• mr toad
    Options
    Babyray,[p]missed you guys this year - tell all my cousins in mccomb, brookhaven and sumit i said hello[p]mr toad[p]have you cooked the jerk tenderloin

Smoke no Evil

• mr toad
    Options
    Babyray,[p]www.sookehills.com/[p]try the above to order a selections of smoking woods including grape[p]mr toad
                        Smoke no Evil