Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef ribs

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
I’m thinking about doing some beef ribs for the first time. Any good tips? Time and temps? Monitoring temp?

Comments

• rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    Dizzy pig cow lick, 250 for 5 hoursish, pretty tasty 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options

"Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • Powak
    Options
    rcone said:
    Dizzy pig cow lick, 250 for 5 hoursish, pretty tasty 
    DANG those look GOOD
  • Powak
    Options
    Are they done around the 200° mark like pork ribs and brisket?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Use the tooth-pick test for the win.  Never have temped any rib cook but based on info in other threads 200+/- sounds about right.  Enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    THIS is how I do them.    Now I want beef ribs . . . .  

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Assuming you are doing short ribs, note there are 2 kinds, plate and chuck. The plate are more tender, and don't take quite as much cooking. The plate variety have flatter bones than the chuck, which can be almost round. As in rcone's pix, when they draw back like that, they're done.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Did some beef plate ribs last September. Fun cook at about 6 hours. Looked like this. 
    My tips - make sure you put a drip pan under them, there will be a lot of drippings. Be aware of the membrane when you probe with toothpick for doneness. These still had the membrane I was fooled thinking they were not done. One of these was more than enough for a meal.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Beef ribs are hands down my favorite cook on my Egg. Smoke at 250 for about 5 hours until they probe like buttah and you’re good to go. They’re just like pork butt in that they’re almost impossible to screw up. You’ll wonder why you didn’t try them a long time ago. Don’t worry, you got this. 

LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Here is my cook from last summer.  Definitely give it a go.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1207000/first-crack-at-plate-ribs/p1
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL