Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SMOBOT storage/case

Options
mEGG_My_Day
mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
edited February 2018 in EggHead Forum
I was looking for a good way to store my Smobot.  I thought I would share in case some of y'all are also looking for SMOBOT storage.

I found this case on Amazon that has a customizable foam insert. 

CamKix Water Resistant Case with Customizable Foam Cameras https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NPLK61E?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

It has a pocket that easily holds the temp probs and is water resistant.

I've cut it out to hold my battery and slots for probs and damper control, so I can use the Smobot while stil in the case. (I hope heat won't be a problem, but I doubt it will).

I wish I could have been more precise with the cutouts, but the foam is a pre-perforated grid.  You have to cut within those guidelines.
Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet

Comments

• jeponline
    Options
    Very cool. Definitely going to consider this. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • baychilla
    Options
    I was hoping this was going to be an inclement weather case for the smobot/battery.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited February 2018
    Options
    baychilla said:
    I was hoping this was going to be an inclement weather case for the smobot/battery.
    I wouldn't have any reservations about using this in a light  to medium rain. If it was a torrential downpour or snow, I'd just put a ziplock bag around it.

The outside case is fairly hard - it isn't a soft sided case.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • baychilla
    Options
    I have sideways rain and fog thick enough you can cut with a knife.  Water seems to get into anything left outside.  That being said my guru has survived a few overnights (though usually in a plastic bag).
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Boughted, thank you!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Perfect! It only cost $8.00 with my reward points. THANK YOU!
    Judy in San Diego
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    I store mine in a small Pelican case. When in use if I need to keep it out of the rain I just use the disposable plastic container that comes with my organic salad greens mix. No cost, waterproof, and I always have one on hand so why not repurpose it before it ends up in the recycling bin anyway.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    You can customize those type cases with a little heat. Doesn't take much to seal the foam.
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    Thanks for the post, just purchased one myself although for the Flameboss. 
    O-Town, FL

• Botch
    Options
    Elijah said:
    You can customize those type cases with a little heat. Doesn't take much to seal the foam.
    On EweTube I saw someone spray the foam, after "picking" to fit, with Plasti-Dip.  I tried that on the case I use for my Smoke/Thermapen, and it worked great.  Will be doing the same on a Pelican case for my camera equipment.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    Botch said:
    Elijah said:
    On EweTube I saw someone spray the foam, after "picking" to fit, with Plasti-Dip.  I tried that on the case I use for my Smoke/Thermapen, and it worked great.  Will be doing the same on a Pelican case for my camera equipment.  

I've got  a half dozen Pelican cases holding various gear and have never thought to seal the foam. What am I missing? What's the benefit of sealing the foam with either PlastiDip or heat?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    What's the benefit of sealing the foam with either PlastiDip or heat?
    It would just prevent "accidently" pulling out an extra row of foam cubes, if you're clumsy like me.  

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:
    Elijah said:

I've got  a half dozen Pelican cases holding various gear and have never thought to seal the foam. What am I missing? What's the benefit of sealing the foam with either PlastiDip or heat?
    I should  have clarified. Some people use a hot knife to create a more custom fit than the squares you pull out. I've never done it, but it does make a nicer looking finished product.

@HeavyG
  • pinballLooking
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I ordered one. I do have a hot knife so I will give that a try. It really repels water well I put the case under the kitchen sink water flow it did not get wet inside the case at all.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

My solution isn’t elegant but it is weatherproof and holds all my stuff.    Cords run out the pvc on either side.  Works great.  

This seems so familiar :pensive:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2018
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:
    Elijah said:

Perhaps for those that are completely OCD. Or just in case the foam breaks down or flakes over a course of time. I know some foam products do this especially once they're cut. But, that deterioration usually takes years if not even decades. :i_dunno:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Nice! I keep my BBQ Guru in an inexpensive hard shell pistol case that has an egg crate foam pattern.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.