Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork tenderloin

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
just thinking of trying a stuffed pork tenderloin on the egg. anyone got a great recipe?

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    tender1.jpg
    <p />mike k,[p]You can't stuff a pork tenderloin since they are only 1-2" in diameter(see picture of two with Char-Crust). What you are referring to is the pork loin. It is 5-9 lbs and is 4-6" in diameter. Mt Toad has a recipe and you will find several others under the recipe menus.[p]Tim

• BBbrew
    BBbrew Posts: 33
    Options
    mike k,[p]I think my wife is watching the Cooking Channel on T.V. to much because last week end she came home from the grocery store with a bunch of fresh fennel. She said, "Emeril and the Malto guy say this is really good stuff………". So I decided to make a stuffed pork roast using fennel as an ingredient. This is what I came up with:[p]1/2 cup diced celery
    1/2 cup diced onion
    1/2 cup diced fresh fennel
    2 links hot Italian sausage
    2 cups plain bread cubes (bagged stuffing mix)
    1 egg
    Chicken broth
    1/2 ts dried sage
    1/2 ts dried savory
    salt and pepper to taste[p]Remove sausage from casing, break into little pieces, and lightly brown in a skillet. When the sausage is almost cooked through, add celery, onion, and fennel. Keep cooking until the vegies are tender, but not soggy. Remove from heat and place mixture in a mixing bowl. Allow to cool then add bread cubes, egg, and seasonings. Add chicken broth, if needed, a little at a time until you have a nice moist stuffing mix. [p]Filet out the pork roast (or tenderloin) using a spiral cut and lay it flat on a cutting board. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a little cayenne if you like (I think I even used a little lemon pepper on mine). Spread the stuffing mix evenly over the pork about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Roll the whole thing up like a jellyroll and tie it in three of four places with cotton twine so it all stays together. [p]I cooked it in the BGE (indirect) at 300 degrees for about 1.5 hours until the Polder read 170. Remove from the egg, cool for a while, and then slice into 1-inch thick slices to serve. We served it with a basic pork gravy made from the drippings. My wife added a tiny amount of vinegar and Creole mustard to the gravy to give it a slight tartness. It was awesome. I don't know what it is about fennel and pork, but when you combine the two ingredients, the flavor is unbelievable. (We are now planning on growing some fennel in the garden this year.)[p]Anyway, that is pretty much it. I basically used the same stuffing that I would use for turkey and added fennel. I didn't really follow a recipe, so you can adjust the above ingredients anyway that you see fit. The important thing is to get the fennel in there.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    mike k, there is a picture perfect one down below a few posts under the "Trying a Photo" by Chuck. I think a easily followed discription from Chuck in the threads. Nice roast.
    C~W[p]

• Tim M,
    Not to disagree with you Tim, but you can stuff a tenderloin.. You make a slit in the end and work your knife back and forth being careful not to get to close to the egde.. Then you can take your steel you keep your knives sharp with, and work it through and kinda wiggle it around till you have a hole all the way through to the other end.. Then use the handle of a wooden spoon to
    push the stuffing in...[p]Dylan

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme,[p]They can be butterflied, pounded, stuffed, and then tied as well. One thing to remember is that a steel is just like a file, it removes metal. To see what I'm talking about, take a paper towel and wipe down the steel. Just make sure you wash that sharpening steel with some steel wool and rinse real well first. You just don't want to eat metal filings. A thin fillet knife inserted into the end of the tenderloin will make it a little easier.[p]Zip
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    BBbrew,[p]That sounds awesome. Though I don't claim any great amount of experience with mixing the flavors you've described, I cook a stuffing for turkey which starts out in a fashion similar to the way you're describing your stuffing. One minor thing I do differently is to include the fresh sage into the frying pan along with some butter, sausage, celery, onion, etc. Don't know how much difference to your recipe adding the sage at the beginning would make, but you might want to try it simply for the awesome smell that will fill your kitchen upon the addition of the sage. It's always enough to get my mouth watering.[p]Thanks again for the recipe,[p]Cornfed
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Zip, good tips from both of ya..!! I'm gonna go wash that steel right now..I never thought of that. Bish bash C~W!!
    Char-Woody

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme,[p]I guess if they can stuff a shrimp - someone can stuff a pork tenderloin. :-)[p]
    Tim M
    runbge1.gif

• Zip,
    Thanks for the warning Zip.. I never would have even thought of that...[p]
    Dylan

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme, hey friend, why could you not take a half inch diameter copper tubing..put a T handle on one end and caps on all three ends...Use that instead of the steel?
    Should be washable and easy to clean. ??? Jus wundrin!!
    C~W[p]

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Cornfed, Yer a little young to be offerin' 'sage advise' ain't ya?
    Qfan
    -Sage mixed into potato pancakes was one of the events that awakened my sense of smell and was my dad's specialty when I was growin' up (which I'm still workin on!)

• BBbrew
    BBbrew Posts: 33
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Ummm. Yes, sage is very good. I grow a little sage in a planter, but dont use much of it. Mostly a couple times a year in stuffings. [p]But, try the fennel if you get a chance. Use the fresh stuff (it look like a cross between celery on the bottom and dill weed on top), not the seeds that you put in sausage.[p]Sage, fennel, and (now that I think of it) bay leaves. Probably 3 of the most misunderstood seasonings used in cooking.
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]Very nice. I'm actually working right now and popping back and forth to email/web forums every 45 minutes or so for breaks. Thanks for the chuckle during this "pop."[p]Cornfed
  • Char-Woody,
    Yeah that would work C~W.. And I could build a space ship to go to the hardware store and pick up the tubing first.
    :-) Just kidding with you.. You are way to ambitious for me. Thanks...[p]
    Dylan

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme, be more fun on a old Harley or Indian :-)[p]C~W