Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for crispy skin on a spatchcocked chicken

Options
I've done a number of spatchcocked chickens and they've all been delicious. My bride has suggested that I up my game and somehow get the skin crispy. I start with a 5# whole fryer. My usual procedure is to pat the bird dry after splitting it, apply salt and a spice rub, and let it sit uncovered in the fridge for 3-4 hours. I get my fire going well, and roast indirect over a plate setter at 325* for about 90 minutes. The chicken is always very tender and juicy, but the skin ranges from rubbery to leathery. When I roast indirect on my Weber kettle, I can get the skin as crisp as potato chips. Does the egg just retain too much moisture to pull this off? I wonder if I should up my cooking temp?

Suggestions welcome.
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Temp.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Raised direct at 400 degrees takes about an hour. Try it that way and compare. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Get the bird higher in the dome and raise the temp to 400-425

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Hntrss
    Hntrss Posts: 16
    Options
    My last one was high in the dome, 375.  Straight from the package, Dizzy Dust and right onto the grill.  The skin was amazingly crispy.  Usually I leave them in the fridge overnight, but this was last minute.  Costco chicken too, in case that matters.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    A much drier environment in a kettle and way more airflow. In addition to the higher temps. simply sprinkle on a little corn starch after you season the bird. A little goes a long way. It's magic.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    +1 on corn starch.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options

A light dusting is sufficient. On sale at Ace now.

I've run into the same problem and know I should try direct but the bird with the rubber skin is so tasty done indirect. You go first.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I just read an article in Cook's Illustrated about getting a roast cheekun on the table on a weeknight in the quickest time possible, they laid the bird into a hot cast iron skillet then into a cold oven, and set the broiler to High; they were getting crispy but very uneven skin.
    Their solution, and something to try on the Egg too, is to prick the skin ALL over first.  They theorized that juices came to the surface of the meat, and if the skin trapped it there, it vaporized, forming bubbles under the skin, and the raised skin would burn.  They claimed that they got uniform crispy skin after pricking the bird everywhere; which allowed both excess fat, and steam to escape allowing the skin to brown evenly.  Something I'm going to try next time.   

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Air dry the chicken for at least 12 hours in the fridge. Get it out of the package, spatched, salted and let it sit on a wire rack over a pan. It will dry out a little and will help tremendously with the skin.

Additionally, make sure you pull the skin away from the meat and open up pockets in low areas where the grease can drain out.  

This is the key to crispy skin!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Arkysmokin
    Options
    Personally, I run direct and start with skin down until its good and brown and then flip.

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Another vote for overnight in the fridge as your opening attempt.  If that doesn't get it done, then overnight in the fridge with an application of corn starch before hitting the BGE.  Good luck-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Botch said:

Their solution, and something to try on the Egg too, is to prick the skin ALL over first.  They theorized that juices came to the surface of the meat, and if the skin trapped it there, it vaporized, forming bubbles under the skin, and the raised skin would burn.  They claimed that they got uniform crispy skin after pricking the bird everywhere; which allowed both excess fat, and steam to escape allowing the skin to brown evenly.  Something I'm going to try next time.   
    This is what we did in Myron's cook class, cooking competition drum sticks. Myron has a tool for this that we used and it puts lots of small holes in the skin. The goal was not "crispy" skin per se, but "bite through" skin. 

It works. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • OshawaDave
    Options
    Personally, I run direct and start with skin down until its good and brown and then flip.

X2

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"