Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear Question

Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
I will be doing a Reverse Sear Ribeye this evening.  I am remembering that after my last one, the temp never did rise up to 600 after about 15 mins and after removing the plate setter and they steaks, even with the vents wide open.  The highest that it would go to was about 475 to 500..  Outside temperature was relatively warm.  Am I being too impatient, should I just wait it out?  Or am I don't something wrong here?  Should I leave the top open.  I did have lots of fuel, so that wasn't the issue.
Thanks
Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• Kjunbob
    Also, any wood suggestions?
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Did you leave the top on?  Completely remove the DFMT with going to anything over 400º (some say 300º).  

For ribeye steaks - no wood is my preference.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• I’ve had this problem in the past and was shocked at how quickly the egg temp went up if I did a reverse sear after clearing all the ash out of the egg, including removing the internals and getting all the ash from around the firebox. 

If all else fails point a hair dryer or leaf blower at the bottom vent. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    When’s the last time you cleaned out your egg? Ash can affect your air flow
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • you can still sear it at 500*.  

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Also , for high temps use all fresh lump. Used lump, needless to say has lost some of its potential energy and you my not be able to get as hot as you need. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  •  Ive had that problem and found the solution to be, before lighting your grill clean all the ash out of the bottom grate.  If I have old lump left over from the last cook so I move it around so all the ashes fall below the grate, without doing this it does not seem to get enough air flow to get hi temps.  Also make sure you have a bunch of lump in there!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Kjunbob
    Thanks for the suggestions.. I always clean out the firebox... But this time I will use the Ash removal tool to clean it out before cranking it up.. also, I will remove the DFMT and add a little fresh lump-- Good ideas
    Thanks
  • No need to get it up to 600, 450+ just throw it on the coals
    Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    What are you using for a fire grate? The OEMs can clog with the little bits of lump and restrict airflow. If that's what you have, get or make a wiggle rod, stick it int the lower vent and poke it up thru the holes in the great to clear any obstructions. A bent coat hanger isn't very substantial, but it'll do in a pinch.

Wiggle Rods
    http://www.thirdeyeq.com/products---pricing.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut