Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

looking for new chicken recipes/ideas

Options
I've owned an egg for over 10 years.  my go-to chicken recipes are spatchcocked with various rubs (normally dizzy pig raging river), grilled breasts with evoo & caveder's greek seasoning, and wings of various rubs/sauces.  does anyone have a good Caribbean style chicken recipe?  any other suggestions?  btw, thanks for any suggestions given!

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited February 2018
    Options
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Here's an easy recipe that has become a staple at my house:

Chicken Delights

12 Chicken thighs, skinned, boned
    1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
    2 pickled jalapenos, cut into 12 thin slivers or sliced dill pickle
    12 slices thinly sliced smoked bacon
    1 cup barbecue sauce

Yields 12 servings

Rinse chicken and pat dry. Coat chicken with salad dressing mix. Make 1 slit with sharp knife in each thigh; insert 1 jalapeno sliver into each slit. Wrap each thigh with 1 slice of bacon; secure with wooden pick. Arrange in nonreactive dish. Pour barbeque sauce over chicken, turning to coat. Marinate, covered, in refrigerator for 1 hour or longer, turning occasionally. Arrange chicken on grill rack in covered grill. Grill over medium-hot coals until bacon is crisp. Smoke with lid down until chicken is cooked through, turning occasionally. May glaze with additional barbeque sauce if desired. 

Sometimes I'll substitute thinly sliced dill pickle for the jalapeno called for in the recipe. I also go easy on the sauce for marinade to avoid burning while it cooks. 

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/the-ultimate-barbecued-chicken-recipe-1916919.amp

Here is a BBQ chicken leg quarter recipe my family loves. 

As for caribbean, I usually go with some DP pineapplehead and Jamaican firewalk mixed. 

Also, @DoubleEgger had a cook the other day with some stuff from these guys. I haven’t gotten my order yet but I got some great stuff from their website. (No affiliation) 
    http://store.stjohnspice.com/categories.php?category=Hot-Sauces%2C-Savory-Sauces-%26-Marinades

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I’ve used a buttermilk brine a lot lately. If it’s good enough for top shelf fried chicken it’s good enough for grilled. Use just enough buttermilk to cover chicken in a plastic bag. I always add a hot sauce (Texas Pete for me) granulated garlic, black pepper and kosher salt. As little or as much as you like other than the salt. I spend a fair amount of time wiping the brine offwith paper towels. Rub if you want, lately I haven’t been and I’ve just used a nice bbq sauce near the end. I’m bummed that we are out of buttermilk so I’m going to go another direction today. Maybe Korean, maybe southern style bbq. 

Do not buy enhanced chicken. Or any protein. Messes with everything. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Jerk chicken, from Jamaica, Mon. Easiest way is to buy a jar of Walkerswood Jerk seasoning (actually a paste). It's hot though. Contains Scotch Bonnets. Grace is good too. The WW Mild is VERY mild. Smear it on the chicken (wear gloves!), put the chicken in a zip bag and into the fridge for a couple of hours. 400° direct.

Serve with rice and peas. Tons of recipes out there... jamaican rice and peas

Enjoy!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Forgot this one... Thighs marinated in Goya Mojo Criollo for 4-24 hours. Raised direct 400° with cherry wood for smoke. Delicious! The Goya stuff has a ton of salt in it though, so I found a recipe for the marinade with far less...

Both taste great!

Juice of three good sized lemons (about 2/3 cup)

Top off cup with OJ (about 1/3 cup)

OR - use 1 cup Naranja Agria (sour orange) instead if you can find it

10-12 garlic cloves (one head)

3/4 tsp salt (recipe said 1 tsp, I used ¾. Might try less next time.

1 tsp pepper

1 tsp oregano

¼ cup olive oil

Directions

Add all ingredients to blender and blend for 30 seconds.

Goya marinade...

My homebrew marinade...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    Killer looking chicken, @Carolina Q 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options

Here's one of our faves!  We use BSCB's but I'm sure you could use the whole bird or other favorite parts...

=-=-=-=-=-

Frank's Red Hot Shredded Chicken with
    Alabama White Sauce

Cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts in Dutch oven with Frank's red hot buffalo for about 4.5 hrs @ 275°

Serve on a bun with Alabama White Sauce squirted on top of the meat

INGREDIENTS:
    3 lbs raw boneless skinless chicken breasts

12 oz bottle of Buffalo wing sauce
    1 oz packet of dry Ranch mix
    2 tablespoons butter

DIRECTIONS:
    Place the chicken breasts in dutch oven.

Pour the bottle of wing sauce over the top of the chicken.

Sprinkle the packet of ranch mix over the top of the wing sauce.

DO NOT place the lid on your dutch oven!!

Cook 275F  for 4-5 hours until meat shreds easily.
    Remove meat and shred it using two forks.

Return shredded meat to the sauce and add the butter.

Stir to combine.

Continue to cook on low for another hour so the meat can soak up the sauce.

Alabama White Sauce Recipe
    Makes1.5 cups of sauce, enough for 2 large chickens or 3 Cornish game hens, which serves 4 to 6 people

Ingredients
    3/4 cup mayonnaise
    1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup apple juice
    1 tablespoon powdered garlic
    1 tablespoon prepared horseradish from a jar (either in vinegar or creamy)
    1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon mustard powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon finely ground cayenne pepper

Method
    Whisk together all the ingredients in a large bowl

Refrigerate in a jar for at least 2 hours, if possible, to allow the flavors to meld.

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    This is my favorite chicken on the egg recipe, there are a few other threads about it on here as well:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182561/gai-yang-thai-style-grilled-chicken#latest

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    I second "the chicken" good stuff and that sauce is on point 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• RockyTopDW
    Options
    thanks! these all look great.  now off to the grocery store...
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Plenty of great options above. We are fans of dark chicken. Nothing easier than BS thighs finished with a great Carolina mustard bbq sauce. My favorite is “rub some butt” brand  I’m a true chicken fiend.   good luck

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I know you are looking for chicken on the egg recipes, but if you care to try something different but inside just keep on reading.

It's a recipe called French Chicken in a pot from America's Test Kitchen back in Jan 2008. I'm in the process of fixing it for our supper tonight. In brief it's a classic French technique where the chicken turns out super juicy, flavorful and tender. It also renders a delicious jus which I serve over mashed potatoes.

I'm not asking anyone to beg me for the recipe link, but if anybody wants it give me some time to pull it up.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    RRP said:
    ...but if anybody wants it give me some time to pull it up.
    I'd like to see it. Always looking for new chicken recipes! Thanks, @RRP.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    ...but if anybody wants it give me some time to pull it up.
    I'd like to see it. Always looking for new chicken recipes! Thanks, @RRP.
    Will do, Michael! 
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    RRP said:
    I know you are looking for chicken on the egg recipes, but if you care to try something different but inside just keep on reading.

It's a recipe called French Chicken in a pot from America's Test Kitchen back in Jan 2008. I'm in the process of fixing it for our supper tonight. In brief it's a classic French technique where the chicken turns out super juicy, flavorful and tender. It also renders a delicious jus which I serve over mashed potatoes.

I'm not asking anyone to beg me for the recipe link, but if anybody wants it give me some time to pull it up.
    Ron, hope you don't mind, my wife has their complete cook book and uses it all the time.
  • F3DAWG
    F3DAWG Posts: 98
    Options
    This is a killer jerk rub. Posted by @Jameson19

Summerville, SC
  • RRP
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Thanks Woodchuck! The only thing I do differently is I add 1 cup of boiling Swanson (box) chicken broth before going in the oven, and cut the time to 90 minutes in the oven (from my experience). I also converted the cooking time to using a pressure cooker, but I prefer the Dutch oven on the stove and then into the oven.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Here is a great crowd pleaser recipe:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfY0lrdXar8  It is Jacques Pepin and the deboned stuffed chix.  First time thru it will take a while but if you want to present something most have never had give it a go.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Love that Pepin video! No matter how many times I've seen it, it's always a treat. One of these days, maybe I'll actually try it!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Factual pictures: 5 pound bird going in:

and then all that remained after supper!