Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long can I expect a small or mimimax to burn

I a deciding if I want to get a small or a mimimax.  I am leaning towards a minimax but if I were to try to do ribs or pulled pork how long could I expect the charcoal to last if I burn at 180 degrees?

Comments

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    I have a small - no problem doing 8-10 hours at 250.  Be warned though, getting a rack of ribs onto a mm may be challenging.  
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Why 180 degrees or was that a typo?  
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • 180 might be a difficult one to maintain over a long period of time. So little lump burning can cause the embers to not propagate throughout the firebox. I've had super low temps try to snuff out, even with a fan controller.
    Gittin' there...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,171
    I echo @TN_Egger and the run time on a SBGE.  Mine really doesn't like to get below around 240*F but I don't do many L&S cooks on it.  There are several thread topics (see the search function) about the SBGE and MM.  Since I don't have the MM all I will offer is that the SBGE holds more lump.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Why the small or Minimax? They’re not really anymore portable than a larger egg. I wouldn’t go smaller than the medium if you’re looking for a smaller cooker.

now to answer your real question, Ive gone 12-13 hours on the small. Never done a low and slow on my mini max, but because it’s smaller, I would assume even less. 
  • I can’t speak for the small but I’ve easily done 16hrs on my MM. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    edited February 2018
    I can’t speak for the small but I’ve easily done 16hrs on my MM. 
    Nice! I need to try again.  I have issues running longer than 8 at 250 in my MM.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • I have been able to go for 14-16 hours on occasion.  I love the little guy, I haven’t used my XL nearly as much as I should since I got the MM.  I should though... does that make me a bad person???
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Why the small or Minimax? They’re not really anymore portable than a larger egg. I wouldn’t go smaller than the medium if you’re looking for a smaller cooker.

now to answer your real question, Ive gone 12-13 hours on the small. Never done a low and slow on my mini max, but because it’s smaller, I would assume even less. 
    This is for a RV and nothing bigger than a small will fit and I not yet 100% certain that a small will fit
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I’ve run many 8-9hr turbo butts at 350 and a few 12-13 at 250 on my small.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • I'm a car hauler and I travel with my mini in the truck. It serves me just fine. You will be surprised at what that little thing can do.

And less weight too. It can serve you and the Wife perfectly IMHO.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,126
    I’d look into an Akorn Jr. Lightweight and does a good job. 
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    I'm a car hauler and I travel with my mini in the truck. It serves me just fine. You will be surprised at what that little thing can do.

I completely agree. also Saturday my rib cook was 10 hours on the MM and at hour 10 it was still holding temp. I certainly consider it portable and it compliments my medium very well.
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • tml1230 said:
    I'm a car hauler and I travel with my mini in the truck. It serves me just fine. You will be surprised at what that little thing can do.

I completely agree. also Saturday my rib cook was 10 hours on the MM and at hour 10 it was still holding temp. I certainly consider it portable and it compliments my medium very well.
    I have the mini egg not the MM.
  • tml1230 said:

10hrs. For rib cook? Would you like to elaborate?

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    edited February 2018
    I have reliably gone 11 hours at 250 degrees on my small. The 12th and 13th hours are iffy, and I have had to reload when cooking a pork butt.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Since the ceramic is not combustible, I would say neither the small or minimax will burn at all.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I’d look into an Akorn Jr. Lightweight and does a good job. 
    I have a small and an akorn jr. I agree about looking at the akorn for its portability. 

Little Rock, AR

• SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    I have cooked several 9.5 lb butts on the MM...with no problems. I usually reload lump about 3/4 of way. Really easy to do....no problem at all. I would say I have gotten a sold 10 + hrs at 240 degrees, and probably could have gone longer.