Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ATL plate setter anyone got one they don’t use?

Options
Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
Anyone local got a large plate setter you don’t use? My neighbor has had his large 12 years and has never done an indirect cook so I’m trying to find him one. Will trade 3 bags of Ozark Oak. 

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I’ll buy you a new one for three bags of OO. 
  • Lit
    Options
    They are $75 now. I was gonna get him a thermapop and plate setter for his last birthday but I got him a thermapop and some growlers instead.
  • DoubleEgger
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Lit said:
    They are $75 now. I was gonna get him a thermapop and plate setter for his last birthday but I got him a thermapop and some growlers instead.
    I’ll give you $75 for three bags of OO so he/you can buy it and have the warranty. 
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    20lb bags of OO? 
    They only made 10lb bags. Looking to see if anyone has one they don’t use really. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Lit said:
    20lb bags of OO? 
    As far as I know OO only came in 10lb bags
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    20lb bags of OO? 
    They only made 10lb bags. Looking to see if anyone has one they don’t use really. 
    See my edited comment above 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I’m still in for three 10lb bags for $75 if you want. 
  • WeberWho
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Damn. I wish I never burned through 70 or so bags of it. I'd be sitting on a gold mine!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Lit
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Damn. I wish I never burned through 70 or so bags of it. I'd be sitting on a gold mine!
    My parents have a RV flat in Arkansas they used to go to twice a year. They would bring me 200 lbs twice a year and would never let me pay them. I was in the garage attic the other day think I’m down to 80 Lbs. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Supply and Demand. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Hmmmm, I'm down to 12 bags of OO in my stash reserve. I'm waiting for OO to show up on Antique Road Show so I'll what that portion of my 401K is worth!  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    RRP said:
    WeberWho said:
    Hmmmm, I'm down to 12 bags of OO in my stash reserve. I'm waiting for OO to show up on Antique Road Show so I'll what that portion of my 401K is worth!  =)
    About $300 
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Lit said:
    WeberWho said:
    My parents have a RV flat in Arkansas they used to go to twice a year. They would bring me 200 lbs twice a year and would never let me pay them. I was in the garage attic the other day think I’m down to 80 Lbs. 
    My buddy RAH on the original egghead forum made a couple runs from North Dakota down to the plant in Arkansas. I was able to snag a half pallet each time and a few loose bags when running low. I burned right through the bags without thinking twice. I never imagined the plant shutting down. RAH was one of the last groups who could buy pallets from Ozark Oak. They wouldn't accept any new customers for pallet purchases shortly after. They apparently couldn't keep up with the demand. Which I took as a good sign for business. I guess not so much. I would have bought as many pallets RAH was willing to haul back if I only would have known. I have not found lump as good as Ozark Oak since running out. Especially when it was only $6 for a 10lb bag. The good ole days. I'm jealous of your leftover stash you have hidden in the attic!

Minnesota
  • Lit
    Options
    @weberwho like you said it was $5 something a bag at the local grocery in Arkansas that stocked it. Can’t remember the name.
  • RRP
    Options
    I used to pick it up for $6 a bag at an IGA store in Mexico, MO. That was always a round trip and I would swing through the tiny town of Perry, MO home of Blue Hog products! A productive round trip for sure!

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Lit said:
    WeberWho said:
    My buddy RAH on the original egghead forum made a couple runs from North Dakota down to the plant in Arkansas. I was able to snag a half pallet each time and a few loose bags when running low. I burned right through the bags without thinking twice. I never imagined the plant shutting down. RAH was one of the last groups who could buy pallets from Ozark Oak. They wouldn't accept any new customers for pallet purchases shortly after. They apparently couldn't keep up with the demand. Which I took as a good sign for business. I guess not so much. I would have bought as many pallets RAH was willing to haul back if I only would have known. I have not found lump as good as Ozark Oak since running out. Especially when it was only $6 for a 10lb bag. The good ole days. I'm jealous of your leftover stash you have hidden in the attic!
    If I recall, they didn't shut down due to lack of business.
    NOLA
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    We got our last OO stash at the Salado Eggfest.   Henapple was the gentleman who brought it down.  It is safely stashed in the climate controlled storage shed with the saddle, musical instruments and leftover wood flooring.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I have a large and small plate-setter i don't use but unfortunately I'm a long ways from Atlanta.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Can you take OO with you?  

What’s the point of hoarding it, are there some cooks that are so special that you save it for those?  Unicorn chops?
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Legume said:

What’s the point of hoarding it, are there some cooks that are so special that you save it for those?  Unicorn chops?
    Good question. I’m too new to the BGE game to have used OO. I do save the Cowboy lump for when my in laws come over. Somewhat of the same concept, I think. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I have a large and small plate-setter i don't use but unfortunately I'm a long ways from Atlanta.
    Don’t move in on my deal. I’ve done my part.  ;)

• RRP
    Options
    Legume said:

I pretty much just replied in jest about hoarding it. I bought a bunch of it over the years whenever we would go back to MO to visit.

My 16 year old Medium which has been for baking exclusiely has never had meat cooked in it, no smoking wood and nothing but OO. OO has always very neutral and basically smokeless. That egg is just a light honey color - not black and shiney like a meat and wood smoking egg.

Now that I can buy Rockwood there isn't as much of a difference and when my OO is gone I'll only bake using Rockwood.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Gotta admit that I burned around 4-5 10 lb bags of OO (had access thru a local  supplier that also carried WGWW) around 5-6 years ago.  I preferred the WGWW as I thought it had even less of a smoke profile than the OO.  Of course all my evaluations could have been adult supervisory beverage skewed.  It is a quality product but hoarding/rationing it... to each their own.  Have a great Friday Eve.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

BUMMER! I just used up my last bag of OO from one of the runs @weberwho was talking about. Good thing rockwood is around as it's just as good, actually better since you can still purchase it. Enjoy!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• DoubleEgger
    Options

BUMMER! I just used up my last bag of OO from one of the runs @weberwho was talking about. Good thing rockwood is around as it's just as good, actually better since you can still purchase it. Enjoy!
    I just want a few bags so I can say I tried it. Maybe I’ll save a bag for a Throwdown winner prize.