Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron grates for an Xl

Options
I had cast iron grates for my weber gas grill. i really liked them but a person who works at my local dealer recommended if I get a cast iron grates that I should keep my original grate because the cast iron cracks. Is this really a common problem? 

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I went through three of them the first two months. Cracks are quite common. Often still usable, but yes, there will be a crack or even a chunk missing before long.

Doesn't do anything worthwhile anyway. I had always wanted CI, but never had it so when I bought my egg, I sprung for one. Waste of money. You're much better off with a stock grid and a cast iron griddle or skillet for searing. Plus a CI grid for an XL will weigh a ton!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    When the original enameled grates on my Genesis 2000 got all chipped up I replaced them with the cast iron grates. They never cracked during the few years I used them but I could never keep them from rusting up. I replaced them with stainless steel grates.

Why do you want cast iron grates?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Abarnette
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    When the original enameled grates on my Genesis 2000 got all chipped up I replaced them with the cast iron grates. They never cracked during the few years I used them but I could never keep them from rusting up. I replaced them with stainless steel grates.

I guess in am reality my Weber grates were enameled which made them easy to clean. I guess I just liked the sear of the cast iron grates. But it sounds like based off some things I have googled true cast iron isn't worth it. I did see where one guy bought the Weber cast iron sear grate and he liked that as a searing accessory. 
  • Abarnette
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Also when I bought the grill I made a list of accessories that I thought I might buy as I go. Now i am going through that list and seeing if I still want these things. 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Abarnette said:
    HeavyG said:

I guess in am reality my Weber grates were enameled which made them easy to clean. I guess I just liked the sear of the cast iron grates. But it sounds like based off some things I have googled true cast iron isn't worth it. I did see where one guy bought the Weber cast iron sear grate and he liked that as a searing accessory. 
    When you say searing grate are you referring to this black insert?

I've got that system on my Weber kettle and it does work well to sear. I've found tho that it is the same diameter as the fire ring of my KJ Jr so when I want to sear a steak or two I use it  on the Jr as it sits much closer to the fire on the Jr.

I've got one of these adjustable grates that I use on top of the firebox of my KBQ that are half the price of the Weber grate. Might be something to look at to just help put some sear marks on a steak.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01INBHTRE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You might also look at the GrillGrates. I don't have them and have never used them but it seems most people are quite pleased with the way they sear and can be flipped over to the smooth side for burgers:

https://www.grillgrate.com/shop-grillgrates/standard-grillgrates/kamado-grills/

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Abarnette
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Abarnette said:
    HeavyG said:

I've got that system on my Weber kettle and it does work well to sear. I've found tho that it is the same diameter as the fire ring of my KJ Jr so when I want to sear a steak or two I use it  on the Jr as it sits much closer to the fire on the Jr.

I've got one of these adjustable grates that I use on top of the firebox of my KBQ that are half the price of the Weber grate. Might be something to look at to just help put some sear marks on a steak.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01INBHTRE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You might also look at the GrillGrates. I don't have them and have never used them but it seems most people are quite pleased with the way they sear and can be flipped over to the smooth side for burgers:

Thanks for the thoughts and yes that insert was what I was thinking of
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Abarnette said:
    HeavyG said:

not to hijack the thread, but heavyG, do you use any other inserts in the gourmet cooking system? I've been thinking about buying it for my performer.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    MANGRATES
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Abarnette said:
    HeavyG said:

not to hijack the thread, but heavyG, do you use any other inserts in the gourmet cooking system? I've been thinking about buying it for my performer.

I have this^^.  It's a good system, but the seering grate is the only insert I use.  It also fits the spider (CGS) for the medium egg, fyi.

To the op - not sure I'd bother with CI grates, except for seering.  They are more work - marginally, and I don't think they bring anything to the table other that the seering.
    Phoenix 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Searing is better with a solid surface (i.e. skillet or griddle) anyway. Far better.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    for searing on the xl with cast iron, we recommend using the large cast iron grid with our, ceramic grill store, xl spider or xl woo.  Both spider and woo drop closer to the lump for higher temps.  the 18 CI grid is basically equal to the xl lump grate in size, so no wasted CI grilling.  Searing temps at grid center are achievable along the grid edge for consistent product. 

The BGE cast iron grids are half grids on the XL.  One XL CI half is about same price as on full round, large 18 CI.    t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I went through three of them the first two months. Cracks are quite common. Often still usable, but yes, there will be a crack or even a chunk missing before long.

Doesn't do anything worthwhile anyway. I had always wanted CI, but never had it so when I bought my egg, I sprung for one. Waste of money. You're much better off with a stock grid and a cast iron griddle or skillet for searing. Plus a CI grid for an XL will weigh a ton!
    The CI grates for the XL are 1/2 moon, so they don't weigh a ton.  I guess I use mine often enough that I don't worry about rust.  I have one that has 4 or 5 cracked grates - no problem.  I also have a 1/2 moon CI griddle that I use less frequently. I do use the original grate when doing pizza or L/S cooks. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Bad things happen to iron at 2000 degrees.
    I think it really boils down to misuse, and a crappy grid design by BGE.

There really is no need to put it directly above, pretty much in, the fire.  Standard grid level for kettles and eggs, is plenty hot.  Most times I like going raised direct to control the momentum/heat during the cook.  I have found, chicken, pork, sausages especially, benefit from this approach.  More tender, casing doesn't split from the heat.

A griddle is a waste of lump IMO, as you don't get the HCAs and PAHs dripping into the fire, and the juices puddle around it.

When used properly, CI evens out the uneven heat of the egg.

I've been happy using original CI for the grilling tasks.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Abarnette said:
    HeavyG said:

Only have the two inserts that came with it. Most of the time I just use the normal grid insert. I've only used the searing grid in the kettle a few times and a few times in the KJ Jr.

I have used just the open hole for use with one of my woks (not the Weber wok) and that works pretty well.

My 10+ year old kettle is not a Performer so I don't know what the grate that comes with that is like but that new grate is much sturdier than the original one my kettle came with and was worth getting just for that reason.

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    For searing on XL I use a 17 inch lodge skillet over the CGS smaller fire ring. I have the one with the solid sides but next time I would buy the open ring one.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    https://www.cast-iron-grate.com

to the OP - saw this on the baby back maniac youtube channel, he uses it in his summit which is a 24" grid just like the xl bge. probably your best option. sorry if someone else already posted this
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf