Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome fail

Options
Good evening all,
I just installed a smoke ware chimney cap and my dome is teetering on falling when fully opened, concerned about dome fall and crack.
Will someone please chime in. 
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    You need to tighten the band bolts simple fix, if you don't tighten them the dome at some point will fall off and most likely break.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Don’t worry if you bend the bolts when tightening. They are supposed to bend. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Falling out and hitting the ground or are you worried about the dome falling shut?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Falling out and hitting the ground or are you worried about the dome falling shut?
    Good question. 
  • cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    Dome is falling shut tightening everything now, you sure it's not springs?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Is the egg level? 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Could be the springs, did you remove them?

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    Options
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but I am interested in both the problem and the answers. I also have a LBGE. My bands need to be adjusted because I have some overbite, but the springs were replaced and the dome opens up to stand about 15-20 degrees from perpendicular. When I start to close it I get about half way down, and at that point the dome would fall if I let go of the handle. This seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

I have several questions--

1) Is the above scenario normal?

2) I just recently saw a photo of an open dome on a presumably new large egg. It seemed to be both perpendicular and sitting behind and slightly below the top edge of the bottom of the egg. The angle of the photo wasn't very good but it didn't look to be the kind of set up that I have on my egg...or even the kind of set up that is being sold as the "new" style. The springs were off to the side and there was some sort of armature at about 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. ( I wish I could find the photo again) Does anyone recognize this type of hinge set up and know where to  research it?

Thanks for any help.
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    I doubt the added weight from the smokeware cap or its sealing tape is the issue.  Id look at the springs/bands.

/what do I know, apparently the Egg I bought was old and inferior
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    DWFII said:
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but I am interested in both the problem and the answers. I also have a LBGE. My bands need to be adjusted because I have some overbite, but the springs were replaced and the dome opens up to stand about 15-20 degrees from perpendicular. When I start to close it I get about half way down, and at that point the dome would fall if I let go of the handle. This seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

I have several questions--

1) Is the above scenario normal?

2) I just recently saw a photo of an open dome on a presumably new large egg. It seemed to be both perpendicular and sitting behind and slightly below the top edge of the bottom of the egg. The angle of the photo wasn't very good but it didn't look to be the kind of set up that I have on my egg...or even the kind of set up that is being sold as the "new" style. The springs were off to the side and there was some sort of armature at about 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. ( I wish I could find the photo again) Does anyone recognize this type of hinge set up and know where to  research it?

Thanks for any help.
    BGE recently updated the bands on the Large BGE to look/function similar the XL BGE. It does have side hinge springs now. Some people like it allot. Some don't like it because it does not open as much when fully opened.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mgoblue0484
    Options
    Big fan of the new hinge.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• DWFII
    Options
    If anyone has a photo of that hinge, in operation--dome open, IOW--I'd be grateful to see it.
    Instagram
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    DWFII said:
    If anyone has a photo of that hinge, in operation--dome open, IOW--I'd be grateful to see it.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1204503/new-band-design-for-the-large-bge/p4
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DWFII
    Options
    Yeah I think that's the one. Thanks for the link.

The photos on page four look like what I saw But on some of the photos on page 5(?) and 6, I see some sort of apparatus on the back side that looks like it attaches to the nest...or something. What is that?

Also some are unhappy with the new bands and say that the old side tables won't fit...what's up with all of that?
    Instagram
  • Photo Egg
    edited January 2018
    Options
    DWFII said:

The photos on page four look like what I saw But on some of the photos on page 5(?) and 6, I see some sort of apparatus on the back side that looks like it attaches to the nest...or something. What is that?

Also some are unhappy with the new bands and say that the old side tables won't fit...what's up with all of that?
    What you see attached towards the back might be the "Handler".
    It stabilizes the nest and adds a handle to more safely pull/move your Egg.
    Yes, that's what it is. I have one on my XL. It does work well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    I tightened every nut and bolt on my large and it seems to have fixed the problem for now. The egg is level and I tightened all nuts and bolts a month or so ago, maybe just a routine thing lock washers may help?
    Has anyone replaced springs before?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    edited January 2018
    Options
    unlike Kamado Joe's new hinge system, AFAIK one is expected to hold on to the BGE dome on its way down, I wouldn't rely on the tightened nuts/bolts to 'cushion' the drop.  If you over tighten you risk breaking the bolt or stripping the nut head. My two cents.

Edit: My apology, reread your OP, it was falling shut even in fully open position, not that you were letting go on its way down.
    canuckland
  • DWFII
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    DWFII said:

Is it true? the old side shelves won't fit the new band?
    Instagram
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    DWFII said:
    Photo Egg said:
    DWFII said:

Is it true? the old side shelves won't fit the new band?
    I can't answer the shelf question on new bands question.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DWFII
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I can't answer the shelf question on new bands question.
    Thank you anyway...just for taking the time.

Maybe someone else?
    Instagram
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    @tarheelmatt may have a youtube on how to tighten the dome!  =)

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    @tarheelmatt may have a youtube on how to tighten the dome!  =)
    Ha!  Maybe I need to make a video of one.  

I'll shoot one at Butt Blast of Mike tightening the band bolts for me.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site