Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick Redi Chek issues

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
I’ve got a 5.5# brisket point cookin today on the egg. 250° all day. Maverick Redi Chek has been running along with it, using 1 probe.  I thought there may be a chance it would take six or seven hours but it’s been on there since 8am this morning and has been hovering around 185 for a couple hours. So I foiled it, cranked the heat up a little to 300°, reprobed it and it came up to 200° internal in about 5-7minutes. When I stuck the probe back in I noticed it still felt pretty solid. The Redi Chek was reading 200-205° Which seemed a little off. I popped in my Thermapen and boom I was getting 157-171° throughout the meat. Anyone else had experience with Mavericks being so off? I’ve been through a few sets of probes and usually they are 100° or more off or just stop working when they fail but being about 40° off is a new one. As soon as the tax returns come in I’m getting a Thermoworks remote thermometer set.

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I don't use it as much since I got a Smobot, but my Maverick has been very reliable. Having said that, if I was in the market for a new one I would get the Smoke.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Powak
    Options
    I don't use it as much since I got a Smobot, but my Maverick has been very reliable. Having said that, if I was in the market for a new one I would get the Smoke.
    What’s the Smoke?
  • Powak
    Options
    I’m getting 185 with my Thermapen and here’s what the Redi Check’s reading.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I went through the same thing a few years ago with my Maverick in a brisket cook

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Powak
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    I went through the same thing a few years ago with my Maverick in a brisket cook

Yup there it is. What’s the deal? Bad probes or unit itself? I’m using two barely used probes right now. I’m on my 3rd set. These ones have curved tail where the cable comes out of. The originals were straightnand maybe a hair shorter.
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    In my case, I had multiple probes curved and the straight hybrid probes and all measured about the same but off from 3 other devices I had (Thermapen, Stoker, Taylor).  I sent the unit to Maverick for a fix, they sent it back with a note saying it was fine and gave me a couple more probes.  Had the same issue again so I “retired” the unit, sent my probes to my BIL who has the same unit that works fine, and bought the Thermoworks Smoke which I’m happy with.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Powak
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    In my case, I had multiple probes curved and the straight hybrid probes and all measured about the same but off from 3 other devices I had (Thermapen, Stoker, Taylor).  I sent the unit to Maverick for a fix, they sent it back with a note saying it was fine and gave me a couple more probes.  Had the same issue again so I “retired” the unit, sent my probes to my BIL who has the same unit that works fine, and bought the Thermoworks Smoke which I’m happy with.
    That’s the way im gonna go. Is the smoke wireless as well?
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Had my maverick about a year, had trouble once. Took the batteries out and then put back and never another problem. 

A probe  test will answer your question. In the mean time a toothpick never fails
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Powak said:
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Yes, it is.  https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

Cost more than Maverick but I’ve had better luck with Thermoworks products.  That said, lots of folks have had great luck with Maverick.  Unfortunately I’m not one of them.

Bay Area, CA
  • Powak
    Options
    Just checked it again. Mavericks a solid 35° off. Time for a Smoke.
  • Powak
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Powak said:
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Yes, it is.  https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

Cost more than Maverick but I’ve had better luck with Thermoworks products.  That said, lots of folks have had great luck with Maverick.  Unfortunately I’m not one of them.
    Right on. Thanks for the info. Well I think I’ve put $99 into my maverick with all the probe replacements. I’d rather spend $99 once for a good product. My Thermapen mk4 has been killer.