Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome question

Options
Nathanogle51
Nathanogle51 Posts: 52
edited January 2018 in Off Topic
I'm leaking smoke around the gasket. My dome also has a bit of an underbite where the lid isn't quite flush with the bottom; This egg has about 60-70 cooks on it. 

Do I need new felt? Do I need to realign the dome? Is it a combination of both or is it no harm no foul and that is somewhat normal (I've heard a lot of people say the underbite isn't so awful, in general)? 

The last butt I cooked burned through my fuel much, much faster than normal, but it was cold and I cooked at a little bit higher temp. 

Thanks in advance!
Dec. 2016: Large BGE
Covington, GA via Rocky Top, TN

Comments

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I've seen worse smoke leakage. The felt looks pretty good to me .Try loosening your bands and aligning your dome.  The under bite shouldn't be a problem but the dome may need to be seated again.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Honestly, I'm not sure why you posted in the OT section for this.
  • Nathanogle51
    Options
    Honestly, I'm not sure why you posted in the OT section for this.
    Good point. I changed the thread title, but can't change the forum... Anyway, I appreciate your reply, that makes sense. 

I haven't really had any issues with temp control, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something terribly wrong and affirm that it is closer to normal wear and tear. I did the dollar bill test and I still get a lot of resistance; the smoke leak worried me, though.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Realign and do the dollar test 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Nathanogle51
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Realign and do the dollar test 
    Is it necessary? That's what I'm trying to determine. I still get a lot of resistance with a dollar bill. I don't want to mess with the alignment if it's not really a problem, but rather just normal wear and tear - I might make it worse if I start screwing with it! Haha
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited January 2018
    Options
    My recommendation is to contact BGE and get the new redesigned dome band. If you have registered your egg - this is a warranty item.

Problem 100% fixed.

**Edit, just took another look @ your pictures, (2nd picture) the bands are not aligned correct - maybe they slipped I dunno, but they should be evenly parallel to each other.

I'd still warranty the band and get the new style. I did, no more problems. Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Nathanogle51
    Options
    SoCalTim said: 
    My recommendation is to contact BGE and get the new redesigned dome band. If you have registered your egg - this is a warranty item.

Problem 100% fixed.

Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely check into that and realign everything - will have to wait as I have a 5 lb. (wild hog - interested to see how it turns out) Butt and 3lb Chuck on right now.
  • mgoblue0484
    mgoblue0484 Posts: 148
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I agree with @SoCalTim. I got the new band assembly as well. Easy set-up and didn't have to readjust after installation. It was perfect. No more issues. The old band design is horrible. Should have done it a long a long time ago.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    ** Also, the bolts that connect the dome need to be tightened to the point where they are literally bent. The bolt(s) in your last picture are not tightened enough, that's why the band slipped.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Nathanogle51
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    ** Also, the bolts that connect the dome need to be tightened to the point where they are literally bent. The bolt(s) in your last picture are not tightened enough, that's why the band slipped.
    Nice catch. It was assembled at my local Ace Hardware and delivered over a year ago. I never noticed bc I really had no clue... 

I'm definitely going to get the new band assembly before I make any adjustments; it'll still cook well until then.

Thanks to everyone for their input!
  • mgoblue0484
    Options
    Just make sure that top bolt is tight. You don't want your dome to drop out band assembly. Until you get the new band, loosen the bottom band and re-align, getting it even all around. Get the bottom band close to the edge of the egg. Good Luck

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va