Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok on the Egg

Options
I have a wok and spider arriving today for Egg-wokking. I have watched many videos on seasoning and they are all different. Any advice on seasoning the wok, maintaining correct temp with dome open, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    wash the wok with soap and water
    lightly oil,  
    flip upside down in egg, elevate wok if possible
    let it sit in egg for hour or so to season,  egg temp 300ish, dome closed

on using, most folks use the spider up, raises the wok to a good working height.  on the fire, all you need is a good steak fire, 

when finished, clean the wok, lightly oil and put it back in egg to season again as egg cools down. I spray with Pam, Don't spray in the egg, fire........

stay way from sharp tool when wokking, the Chinese ladle and spoons will scratch off the season in no time.  you'll need a good pair of gloves to handle the hot wok. 

try shrimp scampi, it's my favorite wok dish.  If you plan to wok a bunch, get the big size, hot dog boats.  they make great bowls for holding your wok stuff.  they are cheap, so easy clean up, just throw them away, 

two big mistakes made in wokking, first, wok ingredients not cut small and uniformly. second, to much food in a wok. two small cooks better than one big one.  wokking is a process, ingredients go in the wok in a specific order.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    Excellent! Thanks for the advice. I look forward to this aspect of egg cooking. 

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• tjv
    Options
    wokking is a fun, different cook in the egg.  can be a healthy cook too.

we appreciate you supporting our family operation.  enjoy

t
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Don’t season it in your oven like I did.  

Wow.  Lots of smoke. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I echo what @tjv said with a couple additions. I seasoned my wok as he suggested, but I used the oven for ease of set and forget. Don't know that there would be a difference in using the egg.

I put all of my ingredients in what (I think) are called ramekins and lay them out in order of the cook. They are smaller bowls and they work well, we had them so I use them...

Two of our favorites are orange chicken and beef/broccoli. 

I do find that my temperature will climb unless I partially close the bottom vent. I usually run with it 1/3 to 1/2 open once my fire is going.

Have fun!
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • SaltySam
    Options
    Mise en place is your friend.  Have everything prepped and next to the Egg.  In other words, don’t run in and out of the house to get more ingredients.  The cook will go much faster than you expect. 

Other tips:

- fresh ginger and soy sauce make a fantastic beef marinade

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• SaltySam
    Options
    Whoops.  Hit send too early.  
    - garlic burns in the hot oil quickly. Burnt garlic is bitter as hell
    - burnt onions, however taste magical.
    - look up the book “Breath of a Wok”.  Lots of great ideas, pictures and methods

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• tjv
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    Whoops.  Hit send too early.  
    - garlic burns in the hot oil quickly. Burnt garlic is bitter as hell
    - burnt onions, however taste magical.
    - look up the book “Breath of a Wok”.  Lots of great ideas, pictures and methods
    yep, the garlic is the tricky one to get........

these are the boats I was referring to....they are all over amazon......just add them to your next amazon order.....cheap.

• kweitz
    Options
    Thank you all for the input. I was waffling on woo vs spider. Spider appears to be the correct choice for the wok. 

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    if you get your egg up to about 600 dome temp, slip in the wok, then completely shut the lower vent, there will be no flair ups while cooking dome open for stirfrys etc. the fire under the wok will be alot hotter so work quickly. somehow i have a collection of chinese teacups, great for lining up spices and sauces to add to the wok as needed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't use a wok nearly often enough. When I do, I use a Weber chimney starter for  wok stove. Recently had to buy a new one - we had enough snow to bury this one and I ran over it with my snow blower. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I season mine following the Wok Shop’s directions but I use my gasser to keep the fumes outside: https://youtu.be/hNPe5-swL-k

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • kweitz
    Options
    @Carolina Q -That looks delicious! Do you find the the chimney gives you the heat you need? Or too much?

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I don't use a wok nearly often enough. When I do, I use a Weber chimney starter for  wok stove. Recently had to buy a new one - we had enough snow to bury this one and I ran over it with my snow blower. =)

Elegant and simple.....love it! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    What is the wok sitting on over the weber chimney
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    It's a cast iron wok. You can get them from The Wok Shop. https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/traditional-cast-iron-wok/
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    Appears to be a wok ring (looks a lot like this on: https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/wire-frame-wok-ring/) turned upside down.  
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Correct, it was a wok ring I picked up at a local Asian market. You need an air gap so the chimney draws well. I bought the ring for this purpose, having no idea if it would fit. Was perfect though. Unfortunately, the ring was also devoured by the snow monster and I haven't found another yet. I have a new chimney though. I'll find one - or use my old Mini Woo. It fits too as I recall.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Found a pic of the Mini Woo installed as a wok ring. I had to cut four notches in the top of the chimney. It fit very snugly so I didn't worry about it falling off and ruining dinner, yet it was just a friction fit and was easily removable when I needed the Woo.

I may just notch the new chimney...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Thanks for the info
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2018
    Options

these are the boats I was referring to....

Gotcha.....thought you were talking about this:  B)

BTW @tjv , if your charcoal doesn't ship today, it's because I was screwing around on here and google trying to find that pic.  hahahaha
  • tjv
    Options
    @stlcharcoal, man everything is on the web........lol
  • tjv
    Options

@Carolina Q, I'd keep that mini woo, probably one I made, an original.......it will have Sotheby's auction potential one day.......lol 
  • Carolina Q
    edited January 2018
    Options
    tjv said:

@Carolina Q, I'd keep that mini woo, probably one I made, an original.......it will have Sotheby's auction potential one day.......lol 
    @tjv Haha, so I'll split the profit with @FlaPoolman. He's the one who gave it to me. Much used and appreciated!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Ok, done. Now what to cook? I could put a wok on it of course, or my old Mini's 10" grid. Even my 8" CI searing grid (which almost never use-it's always rusty) will fit if I place it directly on the sheet metal edge. Or any of my cast iron skillets for that matter. No heat control, but for searing, who cares?!

As for seasoning a wok, here's how I did my last one...

Washed in hot, soapy water, dried, got my large egg really hot with most of the coals burning, set the wok (not oiled) directly on the hot coals to heat it up, removed the wok and (step away from the fire please!) applied a thin coating of peanut oil, inside and out. Back onto the coals and rocked it around bit by bit until it turned black everywhere (even the handles). Doesn't take long. More oil, another thin coat, do it again. Last, I chopped up some green onions and stir fried until they turned black, burned to a crisp. Works great! 

You'll need heat resistant gloves (welder's are good), a rag to apply the oil, long tongs might be helpful. Oh and a place to put a very hot wok when you have to set it down! Keep kids and pets far away from this project! That's about all I can think of.

Cast iron before seasoning

And after (first cook)

Hope this helps! Enjoy!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut