Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Can I brag, and advertise something at the same time?

Options
Utopia fiber has finally come to my neighborhood after years of delays (http://www.utopianet.org/gigpricing/).  I had it installed on Tuesday, and it has been fabulous.  1 Gbps connection for $65/month is pretty fine by me:

If you live in northern Utah, and are in the area supported by Utopia fiber, or even Google fiber (Salt Lake and Provo I believe https://fiber.google.com/about/), you need to dump your Centurylink or Comcast for this.  For now I have Comcast still running as a backup link on my dual wan router (the automatic failover works great).  I may dump it in the near future, need to see how reliable my fiber link is though.

There, I bragged a little, and hopefully the advertisement helps someone in Utah that reads this to know its time to switch your Internet provider.

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I'd be curious to see what your ping time is when connected to a server on the east coast.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Give me an ip and I’ll ping it for you
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    east coast servers net me only 100mbps up/down with about 60ms ping times.  Not too surprised there.  That only tests how fast the internet as a whole is, not really how fast my circuit is.  Since my ISP has agreements to keep netflix gear onsite, this connection makes netflix start instantly when you click it.  Its nuts really.  I almost feel like I should be splitting this with a neighbor somehow lol.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I almost feel like I should be splitting this with a neighbor somehow lol.
    Ya, or the neighborhood, depending.

I wanted fiber to my house just on the principle of it. I couldn't get it because the providers weren't here so I settled for a deal with the devil aka comcast.

For $65/month, though, I'd take Utopia, Google, or basically anyone but comcast without a second thought.
    Mountain View, CA
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    dmourati said:
    I almost feel like I should be splitting this with a neighbor somehow lol.
    Ya, or the neighborhood, depending.

I wanted fiber to my house just on the principle of it. I couldn't get it because the providers weren't here so I settled for a deal with the devil aka comcast.

For $65/month, though, I'd take Utopia, Google, or basically anyone but comcast without a second thought.
    I here you there.  I slept with the devil for 20 years now, through all of the mergers up until what is now Comcast.  I will be honest, Comcast was never really that bad, I had issues here and there, but they have always improved.  They are even offering their gig service here now, but I decided to go this way because it was way cheaper, and the latency on the circuit is just so much better than I ever saw with comcast.  Hang in there, fiber will come, I think everywhere will eventually have it.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I installed a 70’ tower to get a signal from my local startup internet company. 2.9 mbps down, but wife is watching Netflix right now. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• cookingdude555
    Options
    70 foot, why so short?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I've been Comcast 100% for several years now. When I say 100% I mean TV, phone and Internet. Is it pricey?...maybe, but having only one cable buried deep in the ground gives me comfort! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm jealous. I have 100mbps down/10mbps up. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Con-cast is my only option, which is the #1 reason I dumped cable. I kept internet and pay for 150mb down, yet rarely get over 50. Con-cast, at your service!
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I spend $50/month for 16 mb internet.  And another $115 for cable.  It’s more than my monthly Electric and Gas bill!
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    70 foot, why so short?
    Only needed 40’ to get over the trees. Figure i have a century of growing room to move the receiver up if I even need to. The 70’ tower was 100 bucks on craigslist. Its a rohn something, we cemented in a base in a cubic yard and have it guyed off at 30’ and 65’. 

The tower relays the signal to my house as well as my dads place, he is next door. Tower is up in the field between our houses. Its about 400’ from my place and 550’ or so from his. Had to cut a few limbs down to get line of sight for his. 

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Plus, 70’ is plenty high when you are using a homemade gin pole and a rope to the truck bumper to haul sections up! 

• cookingdude555
    Options
    That’s pretty cool miles. 
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    DMW said:
    I'm jealous. I have 100mbps down/10mbps up. 

Lol, I just checked and I am at 1.8mbps down and .6mbps up and pay $70/month. My parents just went to satellite internet because the dial up only in the area was to hard to handle
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    I installed a 70’ tower to get a signal from my local startup internet company. 2.9 mbps down, but wife is watching Netflix right now. 

We have a ~70' tower as well in our yard, we are heavily treed though, our max is also around 2.9 mbps. Netflix works 80% of the time, IF I make sure all the kids are off there phones or lap tops.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    meh... 49.95 for 1gb/1gb for the last 3 years!

• cookingdude555
    Options
    looking good yogi!