Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Warm soup made in the Vitamix on this cold evening.

Options
epcotisbest
epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
edited January 2018 in Off Topic
So I tried something a bit different this evening and thought I would share it here. Made some tomato-basil soup in the Vitamix. Cooked it right in the blender, and while I had my doubts, it worked just like they claim. This was very tasty. I just kinda made up the recipe and maybe put too many spices in it, but overall it was still good.
I used several roma tomatoes, a can of low-sodium chicken broth, about 1/4 red onion, a small stalk of celery, a half can tomato paste, a drizzle of olive oil, about a half teaspoon of minced garlic, red pepper, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes and a small amount of heavy whipping cream. It took about seven minutes on high in the Vitamix to get piping hot. I think next time I will use less broth and add some assorted precooked veggies at the end and just give them a little pulse in the blender to make this into a chunky soup instead of so thin and creamy, but still good on this cold day.

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Nice. We do this all the time to great effect. We often grill veggies before they go in. If you want some low-fat protein in your soups, add some 1% cottage cheese. Makes the soup creamy and delicious. 
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Nice. We do this all the time to great effect. We often grill veggies before they go in. If you want some low-fat protein in your soups, add some 1% cottage cheese. Makes the soup creamy and delicious. 
    Thank you for the tip. I would have never thought to add cottage cheese. Will try that next time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a great meal to whip up that quickly. Didn't know you could do this with a Vitamix (I live a sheltered life). How hot does the soup get? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    caliking said:
    That's a great meal to whip up that quickly. Didn't know you could do this with a Vitamix (I live a sheltered life). How hot does the soup get? 
    Surprisingly hot. It had steam coming from it. It was not boiling, but plenty hot.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I have a blendtec, been wanting to try the soup thing 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• epcotisbest
    Options
    I have a blendtec, been wanting to try the soup thing 
    Give it a try. It is very smooth, creamy and flavorful, plus no mystery ingredients. 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    One thing we found is there are certain ingredients you need to back off a little on when making soup in the Vitamix. Things like onions for instance, they mellow a lot more when cooked conventionally. 

We haven't done may soups yet but want to experiment more.

Putting some grilled veggies in looks like a great idea.
  • run53
    run53 Posts: 121
    edited January 2018
    Options
    That looks nice!!  I do a very similar tomatoe basil soup but I don't have a Vitamix ( I use a nutribullet). I roast all my veggies in the oven at 425 for about an hour (plum tomoates, onion, pepper, garlic, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes and drizzled with EVOO, balsamic. I think the roasting gives amazing flavor...(maybe I'll use my BGE next time for even more flavor). It's so simple, no chopping.....after roasting I just puree it all in the nutribullet until creamy smooth then add some chicken stock and simmer for an hour. My wifes favorite soup. 
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    One thing we found is there are certain ingredients you need to back off a little on when making soup in the Vitamix. Things like onions for instance, they mellow a lot more when cooked conventionally. 

We haven't done may soups yet but want to experiment more.

Putting some grilled veggies in looks like a great idea.
    Agreed. We almost always grill the veggies prior to adding to the blender. Roasted garlic and onions feature prominently. 

I should have have mentioned earlier, you can add Greek yoghurt as you would the previously-mentioned cottage cheese. The result is very similar given that the blender will pulverize either - creamy texture and flavour. Nuts can also be added to provide some body to the soup while also adding protein.