Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye Roast question

Options
CT Grillguy
CT Grillguy Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a 5+ lb. Standing Ribeye Roast with bones in. Any suggestions on how best to cook it? I was going to sear, then continue to roast direct at around 350. Will probably season with Cowlick. First time I've attempted this type of a roast.

Comments

• locolongball
    locolongball Posts: 414
    Options
    Just wondering how it broke?
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    CTgrillguy,[p]That's a lo 'n' slo piece of meat. We sear on all sides and cook at about 250º 30 minutes a pound till internam meat temp is 135º - 140º medimum rare. My wife doesn't usually like prime rib but devours this because a lot of the fat rends out and the meat is still very moist. Good luck.
  • CT Grillguy
    Options
    Sundown,
    Do you do the entire cook direct or do the low-n-slow portion indirect?

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    CTgrillguy,[p]You can do it on the Egg just as you would do it in the oven only it turns out better. You might take a look at the links on the Naked Whiz's website - I'm pretty sure there are some recipes for a roast, or at least links to WessB's site where there's a recipe.
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    CTgrillguy,
    There's a link below to an earlier thread on one of the ways to do it.

[ul][li]Standing Rib Roast Direct[/ul]
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    CT Grillguy,[p]Indirect or on a raised grid to hold it off the heat. Keep your eye on the internal temps!
  • CTgrillguy,
    In the past 2 weeks I've cooked two whole ribeyes about $100 each (15 lbs).
    the first one was seared, then indirect in a vrack at 300-ish until internal was med-rare. i thought the red meat was chewy.
    yesterday, i seared one and then cooked it really slow for 6 more hours until it hit 140. pit was rarely above 200 and once internal was 134-136, i almost shut down the pit with a target temp of 150.
    after a total of 7 hours on the pit and still massively red inside (even though the probe showed it had touched 140) I had achieved that super tender prime rib that i wanted.
    HOLDING it for a long time in the 130s is the key, IMHO.
    jaymer...

• Rh
    Rh Posts: 5
    Options
    CTgrillguy,
    There is a salt crusted standing rib roast receipt around here somewhere that is really great and more easy to do than it looks if you follow directions. It should be easy to find, if not e-mail me and I'll give you my notes from the receipt.