Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoky flavor

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What wood lumps would be best to cut down on the smokey flavor that we seem to have, the wife does not enjoy the smokey flavor but enjoys the way it cooks our meat. I am using the Green Egg Lumps

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Another newbi,
    There are several things you can try. First, make sure that you don't have any drippings from a previous cook on your lump that might be burning up. Second, make sure you let the fire get established and the temperature stabilized before you add your food. Lump smokes more as it is starting. And finally, you might try Cowboy lump, keeping the first two things in mind. Cowboy lump seems to have less smokiness to it than many other lumps. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    How long would you guest it would take to establish the fire and how would be the best way to get it

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Another Newbie,[p]I let my fire burn around 20-30 mins...that way it burns most any grease or juices from anther cook burn off.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Another newbi,
    If you want to learn an insane amount of information about BGE's and to look at charcoal reviews you must check out the Naked Whiz Website. This guy is the real deal he just chose to have a funny username.. similar to that of "The Naked Chef" as you see on TV. Trust me you WILL NOT be disappointed. The "Naked Whiz" must be modest not to refer you to his website. I have included it for you. Check it out then post a reply and tell me what you think about it. Good Luck![p]P.S. My wife is a very picky eater and she will now even eat Pork chops off the BGE... I never could master them on the Weber Gas grill they always came out tough and rubbery.

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/[/ul]
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    Another newbi,
    I'm relatively new with the Egg too, and my wife is the same way.
    The kids love the food, so that helps. But my wife is always turned off by any smoke.[p]Haven't figured out how to eliminate it. If there is ONE flavor that someone does not like, they will be very sensitive to that. in our case tasting smoke where others might not notice.

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I cooked a bone in turkey breast a few days ago and used Cowboy lump. The turkey breast had a nice light smoke taste to it. I didn't add any other wood for smoke. AZ

• Thank you all for all info and future info I will look at the Naked Whiz website and will read other info about cutting down the smoke flavor Thank You again

• Another Newbie,[p]The type of charcoal you are using probably has very little to do with what your wife finds objectionable.
    When you first light your fire you will be getting a thick white or yellow smoke. This smoke indicates incomplete combustion and the presence of some pretty nasty chemicals you do not want in or on your food. It is probably these chemicals your wife finds objectionable. If your wife tastes bitterness or says something about numbness in her tongue, that is the arsenic in the white smoke. Creosote is another substance you’ll find in the white smoke and is the thick stuff that collects on the daisy wheel and makes it sticky.
    At some point the smoke will thin and take on a blue tint. Along with the color change you will also notice that the smoke now smells good. This is when you can put meats in the egg. How long it takes to get to this point depends on a lot of things, but holds true to any charcoal you use.
    Eventually the smoke will thin to a point that it is almost unnoticeable. This fire is still fine for meats, but if you are baking breads, this is when you would put them in.[p]Good luck,
    Mike

• Pharmeggist,
    I didn't want it to stop.
    (You can add me to the quotes)
    Hadn't seen that part before--thanks!
    KK
    Another Newbi,
    Although the intro is a blast, the contents are truly unbelievable in their thoroughness and care. Keep the web address where you can get to it easily. We are all indebted to the Whiz. (After a while his name becomes a household word and you forget the questions it raised initially.)

• egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Another newbi,[p]Check out this thread on clean burning fires.[p]Ed
    [ul][li]clean fire[/ul]
  • billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    I use Cowboy lump just for that reason. It seemed like everything tasted like bacon when I use BGE lump. Now I add cherrywood, maple, hickory to give it just the flavor I want. Good luck.
  • Another newbi,[p]Quick and simple:
    Smell the smoke coming out of the top. If you don't want your food to taste like that, the fire isn't ready. If you do, start cooking.[p]Mike