Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hole for dome thermometer

Options
2»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,753
    Options
    My question was asked with sincerity, and you provided the clarification. 

As to “will it work?” Yes it will. If you get all the pieces , and install them correctly it most certainly will. The egg involves fuel, fire, airflow so it’s pretty straightforward. Your therm can easily be tested for accuracy in boiling water. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    edited January 2018
    Options
    caliking said:
    Can I (sincerely) ask what you are hoping to achieve? The Tel-tru therms are very durable and accurate. Easy to recalibrate if they are off. If you’re trying to mount an Ashcroft or something similar, it may be overkill. 

It's just that I have to buy a new firebox, a platesetter, a new grid maybe a new hinge band, eventually a new firering, and a new therm. Plus i have to install a gasket.

Think about that...it's near-as-nevermind a complete refurb. I figure if I replace everything that needs replacing I'm gonna have six bills in it. $25-$30 dollars for a new therm doesn't seem like much to people who have a lot of ready cash to mess around with but I'm on SS and a fixed (and relatively low) income. I can probably afford $35.00 for the therm but it still adds up . And it begs the question--where do I begin? Obviously the firebox...but then what? the hinge band? the plate setter? the grid? the therm? They all seem fairly essential to me.

I was just exploring alternatives....possibilities. It's called "due diligence."

Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • DWFII
    Options
    Ron,

Yes! Thank you! I appreciate it.

I must say that there are some very generous people here, you foremost among them.

A tip of the hat.
    Instagram
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,930
    Options
    You are welcome! I was hoping you would take me up on my offer as I already have it boxed, labeled and sitting by the door to ship in the morning!
  • DWFII
    edited January 2018
    Options
    RRP said:
    You are welcome! I was hoping you would take me up on my offer as I already have it boxed, labeled and sitting by the door to ship in the morning!

Instagram
  • caliking
    Options
    @DWFII as to the parts you are looking for, don’t spend the $$ for OEM grid and platesetter. Weber grid and a terracotta platter from HD or Lowes will do just fine. 

• DWFII
    Options
    caliking said:
    @DWFII as to the parts you are looking for, don’t spend the $$ for OEM grid and platesetter. Weber grid and a terracotta platter from HD or Lowes will do just fine. 
    Thanks,

Yes, I am aware that grids can be had for less than what BGE offers them for. Same with plate setters. being aware of them (and having them bookmarked) is all part of the due diligence I mentioned. I can probably save 50% on the platesetter you don't get the lifetime warranty that BGE offers. Grids are almost beside the point I don't have to have a warranty on a grid.

Do you have a link for a Weber grid that will fit the LBGE?

Of course, it would be foolish of me to purchase a third party firebox if it were available. The BGE warranty is worth the additional expense. In fact, there is a third party firebox on the market but it is not significantly less money and only carries a six month warranty.

Same for the band hinge and the fire ring...probably wise to go with BGE parts.

I might get this all down to four hundred or maybe a bit less thanks to people like @RRP by going third party, but the better part of wisdom says that some parts have to be OEM ...or used, at a pretty good discount.
    Instagram
  • caliking
    Options
    DWFII said:

HD or Lowes should have the 18" Weber grids. I just checked, and it will fit the LBGE. 

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,168
    Options
    Which large face, high temp, short stem thermo is our recommendation, then?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• DWFII
    Options
    caliking said:
    DWFII said:

HD or Lowes should have the 18" Weber grids. I just checked, and it will fit the LBGE. 

Thanks I will check it out. But isn't the Weber 18.5 inches?

If so, Amazon has them for $14.00...might be less at HD.

Will an 18.5 fit the LBGE? (I see third party grids that are advertised as fitting a LBGE that are 18.5")
    Instagram
  • caliking
    Options
    DWFII said:
    caliking said:
    DWFII said:

Thanks I will check it out. But isn't the Weber 18.5 inches?

If so, Amazon has them for $14.00...might be less at HD.

Will an 18.5 fit the LBGE? (I see third party grids that are advertised as fitting a LBGE that are 18.5")
    Sorry, I meant 18.5". 

• DWFII
    Options
    caliking said:
    Sorry, I meant 18.5". 

Instagram
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,967
    Options
    the 18.5 fits a weber 18 and lbge. i made sure to measure my base first and to remeasure at home depot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    I used a masonry bit, that was 3 years ago, no issues. Same reason you are having. 
    VA Beach