Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck Help

What to do with this? Two vacuum sealed bags of duck parts? Help!!!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

Comments

• If you go on the search forum for wild duck a couple of solid recipes should pop up. 

If you’re not a wild game eater, I would suggest a buttermilk bath and either a gumbo or ABTs. Cream cheese and bacon can make anything delicious. (That’s what we do at hunting camp for those that don’t really enjoy wild game)

If you’re just froggy about making a plated dinner, you will not go wrong steering toward roasting with oranges, garlic, and root vegetables. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    this was Ripnem's recipe from years ago. works with most birds. great on toasted sourdough or on a baked potato

Pheasant Neuberg

A pile of egged Pheasant, shredded with forks (not cut up)
    A bit of cooked and diced bacon (buckboard is the best)
    Sliced mushrooms of your choice (jar type shrooms work fine)
    Sliced Pepperacinis
    Sliced Green olives
    Franks Hot sauce
    Heavy Whipping cream
    Cream of Chicken soup
    Cream of Mushroom soup
    Feel free to add anything that sounds good to you

Combine it all in a Dutch Oven in your egg indirect at about 250-300 for 1 1/2-2 hrs.
    I serve it over almost any starch. But the favorite is over eggs and hashbrowns.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Buttermilk bath with plenty of hot sauce like Texas Pete, 4-6 hours, probably could do duck overnight. Then to the egg for Duck tacos. Mighty good eating. It is possible to assemble them into a roll and tie and go with a low and slow. Take your choice which way you want to go with the tacos. Southwest, BBQ, Asian. Then make your toppings go with your ethnic choice. Now I made myself hungry, will have to root around the freezer as I think I have some duck breasts.
  • GrillSgt said:
    Now I made myself hungry, will have to root around the freezer as I think I have some duck breasts.
    Hahaha. @GrillSgt I literally just did the exact same thing. I was sitting at my computer sending and email and went, "dangit, now I want duck for dinner. Let me go see..."

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Duck meatballs. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Thank you fellas. They are two years in the freezer so hopefully still edible!

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• @kweitz if it doesn't have freezer burn on it, it's probably ok. 

Worst case scenario is it's lost some flavor and texture, and if it was a diver duck, that may be a good thing.  =)

South of Nashville, TN

• kweitz
    Just opened the packages. No freezer burn and there are 18 breasts. Does that change anyone's opinion of what to do with them? I would REALLY hate to screw up that much meat...

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• kweitz
    They are also skinless with fat cut off. 

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Duck casserole 
    Dyersburg, TN
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I stand with the tacos. Freeze in separate portions for duck tacos all year. 
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Breasts are so good cooked on the EGG. Here is how we do them. Whatever you do, don't over cook them :) Cheers. Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    If  they’re puddle ducks, my go to is Hank Shaw’s jagerschnitzel. It moderately easy and VERY good. In fact, if you’re cooking fowl with any regularity, his cookbook, is almost a necessity. Check it out. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1607745291/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515545544&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=duck+duck+goose+cookbook&dpPl=1&dpID=61RDnIvUsDL&ref=plSrch

• CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    CornfedMA said:
    If  they’re puddle ducks, my go to is Hank Shaw’s jagerschnitzel. It moderately easy and VERY good. In fact, if you’re cooking fowl with any regularity, his cookbook, is almost a necessity. Check it out. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1607745291/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515545544&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=duck+duck+goose+cookbook&dpPl=1&dpID=61RDnIvUsDL&ref=plSrch

Oh, and if they’re divers or sea ducks, make sausage or feed them to the dogs. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    CornfedMA said:
    Oh, and if they’re divers or sea ducks, make sausage or feed them to the dogs. 
    This. ^^^^^+++++^^^^^^
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • vcool
    vcool Posts: 26
    edited January 2018
    kweitz said:
    Thank you fellas. They are two years in the freezer so hopefully still edible!
    Likely just as edible now as they ever were.  I grew up on duck chicken fingers.  Not the best but with enough dipping sauce you can over power the duck.

Since then I've been on the search for a good wild duck/goose recipe, since they're so much fun to hunt.  Lengthy marinades are your best friend here I've found orange juice/citrus are the most common and they work great.  I have a friend who leaves them in red wine and italian dressing for a few days.  We've done Duck A L'Orange sausages which were tasty (but I think shoe leather could still be made in to a workable sausage with enough spice and pork cut in) as were Goose Summer Sausages.  Duck stir fries have been hit and miss depending on the other ingredients and sauces used, duck curry can be good, but its alot like a sausage in that anything can be made in to a workable curry.    Those duck tacos with duck marinated in Texas Pete sound awesome!

It's the norm that it comes without the skin, in most cases (at least around these parts) people don't fully pluck ducks, they just cut the breasts out and skin them off as this is generally the only meat on a wild duck (within reason).  Wild duck is alot like most other wild meat in that there is very little fat on the edible meat.  Careful not to overcook it and I wish you the best in your duckly endeavours.

*Note: You may love wild duck just roasted up as is, some folks do!  I don't.  Maybe its just brings up memories of the diver fingers I had as a kid?  I don't know!

Ottawa Canada, Cigars, Hunting, Fishing and Egging
  • kweitz
    Cooked one up in CI pan, high heat, DP Red Eye Express, to temp on 130*. Not bad, pretty strong flavor. Shout out to Chris at DP for the phone consult. Will Egg the rest this evening. 

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• kweitz
    The lineup!

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    One of our favorites is to simply soak the breasts in cold water for several days.  Change the water out regularly.  Work the breasts with your hands to get out more blood.  Remove from water and then marinate in Allegro marinade for several hours.  Remove from marinade, season with your choice of rub, wrap a piece of bacon around each breast and then grill like a steak.  I pull them off between 145- 150.  Any more rare and the family won't eat them but any further cooked and they start getting a livery taste.  Have had many people eat these who do not like wild game, never tried duck, etc. and they have all really liked them and were surprised at the taste.  I am liking the buttermilk and hot sauce idea to help remove the gaminess.    
    XL BGE