Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: paperwhite kindle

Options
Who has one ? Is the device able to store books like iBook? Likes / dislikes

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,042
    Options
    I like the paper white for reading in the dark.  It doesn't bother my eyes.  Yes, it can store hundreds of books.  I miss the page turn buttons though.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    I've had a bunch of Kindles from the very first one. The most recent one I bought is the Voyage last summer.

The E-Ink readers are great for outdoors. Indoors I seem to use one of my tablets more often.

You can install the Kindle app on most phones and tablets so perhaps you might give that a try and see if you like reading books on a "gizmo" before spending the bucks for a dedicated reader.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I’ve had quite a few Kindles over the years. I like the Paperwhite the best. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I like the paperwhite for reading, and love how it's smaller and lighter than an iPad.  My wife reads all the time on her iPad and loves it, but I think the print is easier on my eyes on the paperwhite, and the huge thing for me is just that it's small and light, easy to hold.  I like it.
  • RememberTheAlomar
    Options
    My kids have these. They are great, they retain books, your can read outdoors, and at least for them for about 4 bucks a month, they have unlimited reading material. Only issue is I wish it was a little quicker with it's touch response, as I see them hitting it twice to make it turn a page and then it'll turn two pages. 
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I love the paper white because it's small and the text is easy on the eyes compared to an iPhone/tablet. 

The only thing I don't like is the inability to easily/quickly thumb through the book. I am weird, and always flip to see how much I have left in a chapter, etc. You can technically do this on a paper white, just not the same. 

If you're an avid reader, I'd say go for it. Worst case you're out $100 or so. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I have an earlier version of the Kindle.  Reading on a Kindle is much easier on the eyes than on an Ipad or Windows laptop.   LIke @distanceman, I miss page numbers.  You only have the percentage of a book you have completed.  That makes it difficult to go back to a particular page to refer to something you read earlier or to figure out how much of (say) a story or a chapter remains to be read.  These are minor quibbles.  The amount of free material available for a Kindle is enormous, particularly if you count electronic versions of books available at public libraries.  A Kindle is a lightweight way to carry around your own library. Battery life is quite extraordinary as well.  You can read for 30 hours or so (or more depending on the version of the Kindle) without recharging.  I strongly recommend the device.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I just looked at the Paperwhite specs on Amazon.  It appears that the Paperwhite has a "time to read" feature that indicates how long it will take you to finish the chapter.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    The app had that feature too.  Paperwhite is great where there is existing ambient light, especially in direct  sunlight. In cases where you like your phone screen, like reading  on a dark airplane, a phone or tablet works better.  Both have uses, if you are an avid reader a paperwhite and the Amazon app  on a tablet make a great pair.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.