Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Amazon Lump sale

Options
Northern New Jersey
 XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Thanks for the heads up.  I liked it, but it needs to hit 10 to make me jump.
    Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    The $10/box was the sales at Lowes last year wasn't it? I notice they don't even list it anymore so I guess we won't be seeing that price again.

I noticed when checking to see if Home Depot carried the center cut lump  (they don't) that Kamado Joe is selling their Big Block in a 20# box on the HD website for $25.

Wonder if any other lump makers will be selling their stuff in a box. I'm guessing there must be some advantage to a box. Maybe?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Wonder if any other lump makers will be selling their stuff in a box. I'm guessing there must be some advantage to a box. Maybe?
    The advantage is to market it saying, "Ours is in a box, so it's better".

But when you can't sell because it's too expensive (because you have to pay for that box), and the consumer doesn't see any advantages of that expensive box, then you're kind of SOL.

Thus, why no one else sells charcoal in a box.

That being said, "If you want me to dump [charcoal] in a box and mark it guaranteed [and jack up the price], I will--I got spare time."  :)

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    HeavyG said:

But when you can't sell because it's too expensive (because you have to pay for that box), and the consumer doesn't see any advantages of that expensive box, then you're kind of SOL.

That being said, "If you want me to dump [charcoal] in a box and mark it guaranteed [and jack up the price], I will--I got spare time."  :)

You do sell it in a box - that's how it comes every time I buy.  I guess that makes you the original.  In fact, I've seen whole threads talking about your fancy boxes.  We even had input.

You need to up your prices and send me a check for a marketing consult.

Phoenix 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    1. Cut a hole in a box.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Edit: 2 put your lump in the box 

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The box is a pain in the butt but the charcoal is pretty good. Think it got to just under $9 a box on Amazon last year.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    blasting said:

You do sell it in a box - that's how it comes every time I buy.  I guess that makes you the original.  In fact, I've seen whole threads talking about your fancy boxes.  We even had input.

You need to up your prices and send me a check for a marketing consult.

That's true!!!  I can just cut the three bags, dump it in there and raise the price.  Those are expensive boxes too!
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    You could sell "Premium Boxed RockWood" by building boxes using computer aided design for each piece of lump and fitting them in your shipping box.  Need to get some robotic packaging machines using something akin to the Tetris algorithm to fill the shipping box. Charge by the total box count! I might even become a PBR convert :)
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Just wondering if the stuff packed/sold in a box gets to the retail outlets in any better shape.

I still think vacuum packed is the way to go to minimize the jostling of the lump.

Vacuum sealed...in a box! :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Just wondering if the stuff packed/sold in a box gets to the retail outlets in any better shape.

I still think vacuum packed is the way to go to minimize the jostling of the lump.

Vacuum sealed...in a box! :)
    It wouldn't......it's still going to break down with every bump in the road.

I suppose vacuum pack would work if you could contort it into a shape when it even fit in a box and had plenty of surface area touching the box rather than riding on just a few pieces.

But as far as bagging it, it's not going to work since the bags can't nest together.  The jostling allows the bags fit together like Legos and ride with plenty of surface area.  Without that, very single bag would have the charcoal poking through and/or ripping the bag.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    All you guys that complain about small lump just box up your unusable and send it to me for my mini and small. I’ve used nothin but RW for the last 3 or so yrs and I always have to bust it up if I’m using new lump for either the mini or small.  I’ve even ask @stlcharcoal to run over a few bags so it would work better in my smaller eggs.  

What gives?   

#icookonmyeggs 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Is today Friday
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Lit
    Options
    All you guys that complain about small lump just box up your unusable and send it to me for my mini and small. I’ve used nothin but RW for the last 3 or so yrs and I always have to bust it up if I’m using new lump for either the mini or small.  I’ve even ask @stlcharcoal to run over a few bags so it would work better in my smaller eggs.  

What gives?   

#icookonmyeggs 
    This stuff really is the best lump you will find for your mini or small. Nothing bigger than a baseball and it’ starts really fast and also burns very fast. If it hits $1 a pound I will buy a couple hundred pounds for my mini and MM. It’s the most carbonized lump I’ve ever used by far the 10lb box fills as much area as most 20lb bags but it’s burns quick since it’s so carbonized. I’ve never checked but I’m pretty sure a half pound would fill the mini. Wouldn’t pay $15 a bag though.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    @Lit - where’s it made?

analyze adapt overcome

• Lit
    Options
    @Lit - where’s it made?
    I think Russia 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Lit said:
    @Lit - where’s it made?
    I think Russia 
    C'mon, it's Croatia.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I think your math is a hair off there but I agree completely. Much rather give my money to a forum member than someone in Croatia. But to each their own as they say. 
    Snellville, GA

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Even if it got down to $10 per 11lb box it’s still over $1.10 per lb.  I will gladly stay with something that is St Louis, America made for $1.25ish on the high side per lb. For me $0.15 is well worth keeping my money somewhat local(3hrs)  in the hands of of a small business.  
    It’s $10 a box on the Charbroil website. Naked Whiz says all of the boxes are light. 

No Chernobyl lump for me...
  • Lit
    Options
    Even if it got down to $10 per 11lb box it’s still over $1.10 per lb.  I will gladly stay with something that is St Louis, America made for $1.25ish on the high side per lb. For me $0.15 is well worth keeping my money somewhat local(3hrs)  in the hands of of a small business.  
    Not gonna argue about lump once I run out of OO I will be using RW for my other lump needs but the char broil works great on smaller eggs.
  • Lit
    Options

bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    @Lit - where’s it made?
    I think Russia 
    C'mon, it's Croatia.
    So Canada?
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Lit said:

bgebrent said:
    Lit said:
    @Lit - where’s it made?
    I think Russia 
    C'mon, it's Croatia.
    So Canada?
    Xactly.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Lit said:
    Not gonna argue about lump once I run out of OO I will be using RW for my other lump needs but the char broil works great on smaller eggs.
    Understood.  Thanks for the suggestion tho.  

analyze adapt overcome

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Those guys told me it's made from birch.  The cut the trees down, debark them, then use the outer 2/3's for veneer.  Then the center gets sold off for charcoal.  Hence, "center cut".  It's not like lumber where you pay the premium to get that center board out of quarter sawn cut, this is the waste for this industry.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Those guys told me it's made from birch.  The cut the trees down, debark them, then use the outer 2/3's for veneer.  Then the center gets sold off for charcoal.  Hence, "center cut".  It's not like lumber where you pay the premium to get that center board out of quarter sawn cut, this is the waste for this industry.
    You do it right Jonathan.  Thank you for the quality product.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Thought I recall a warning label on the box saying it contains lead...?
  • HeavyG
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Thought I recall a warning label on the box saying it contains lead...?
    I heard it was made from trees that were downwind of Chernobyl.

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Vacuum packed would not work. While it might look like it worked when done, as soon as you open the bag, half of it would be small pieces or fine powder. The vacuum sealing would crush the charcoal. I've messed around and tried it with a fried dry snack before. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.