Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gammon joint - best method?

TheToast
TheToast Posts: 376
I've bought a joint of gammon - never egged one before. What's the best method? I read I should soak in water to remove some of the salt. 

Sweet glazes I'm all for. 

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Just about any way you would do a ham.
    Depending on size, I would go 275-350 indirect. The larger, the lower the temp
    Egrets Ham is a sure winner and I think it would work fine for Gammon.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Wow... I'm getting an education today as I had never heard of a Gammon Joint!  Had to google and eventually, it appears to be a hind leg.  Right? :)

What I read says that it is already cured and really only requires re-heating or (burp) boiling.  Is this cured?

Thanks for helping with my food education.  Although I grew up pretty globally, I'm still not in the know on US vs UK terminology!  I did find this site to help me...

http://www.cottagecookbook.co.uk/top_tips/Pork_which_cut.htm

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Learn something new here dang near every day.  @The_Stache - thanks for the link.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TheToast
    @Sea2Ski I've never cooked a ham either! So perhaps I should rephrase - what's the best method for cooking a ham? Thanks 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    TheToast said:
    @Sea2Ski I've never cooked a ham either! So perhaps I should rephrase - what's the best method for cooking a ham? Thanks 
    we have two types of ham, ones cured for months,the other, more popular, is more a quicker brine/cure and precooked.  is there directions with what you have as i believe its wet brined and maybe even raw. if theres no label i would ask the place you bought it from for what temp to cook it too.  for the cook you're basically looking at 325 dome to about 140 internal, also boiled dinners is an option. roasting is as simple as studding cloves, brown sugar and a wetting agent like juice, bourbon, coke etc to make a glaze that sticks or can be mopped/basted
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    TheToast said:
    There are so many ways to go with this, it is really up to you.
    Remember that any recipe you can do in the oven, you can do on the egg, so just pick one that sounds good and go with it. Regardless of the recipe used, I will state with 99.9% certainty that you will be using a indirect setup.

With all that being said, Egrets ham is a popular favorite around here. The question is if your Gammon is already cooked.  If so, you might want to try it:

Maple-Bourbon Ham
    by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients :

Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 # cooked, ready to eat ham
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks

Procedure :

The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° (this should take about 5 hours). I, sometimes, inject with more maple syrup about one hour before ham is done.

Maple-Bourbon Paste

2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbls. Bourbon
    1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Paprika
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • TheToast
    @Sea2Ski @fishlessman Thanks. It's raw. This is commonly how ham and gammon joints are sold in the UK. I can follow the directions for oven cooking like you said - wondered whether there was a glaze that's particularly good. Thank you 

• TheToast
    @Sea2Ski That maple bourbon ham looks fantastic. So I may give that a go. Thanks!
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    @egret 's recipe looks like a winner!!!
    140 F (60 C) internal!!

Let us know how it turns out!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• TheToast
    All coated, injected and in the fridge for smoking on Sunday. 
  • TheToast

Forgot to post photos! Turned out fine. Didn't really have much of a maple flavour TBH - the meat was very moist but the rub made the outer taste a little sour. Don't know why. Maybe added too much Jack Daniels? I took one joint to a New Years party (was devoured quickly), the other for myself and family. 

Used oak and cherry wood. Thanks for advice! Will try again - much Moreno economical than buying sliced ham (my young son's favourite sandwich filling).  I also froze some slices. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Looks tasty.

I'd never heard of it called a Gammon so I started researching.  One of the reasons I love this site!!  Came across this YouTube video from GR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teAFQGg9Q-A

Thanks for sharing!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA