Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help a new guy out.

@Eavasquez81  - ask you question on the forum.  The wall doesn’t get much activity. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• Nice of you Matt. How did you happen to find that?
    Snellville, GA

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Click on the activity button.  You have to be on a computer or tablet.  It doesn’t show on the phone 

analyze adapt overcome

• Thank Matt! sorry newbie here
  • Mattman3969
    No problem.  Get that turkey question in the public so we can help you out.  

analyze adapt overcome

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Um, bump?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969
    I’ll start it here since @doubleegger posted the question for turkey 

@Eavasquez81 - if you are going for presentation (whole bird) I would rub between meat n skin with some herb butter then EVOO with salt n pepper on the skin.  Cook about 325 indirect.  

If presentation doesn’t matter spatch the bird and rub with rub of choice.  I’m partial to coffee rubs for this style of turkey. I’d cook either at 350-375 indirect or 375-400 raised direct.  

Cook both way till breast hit 150-155 and thighs hit 180ish.    BTW with either way of eggin put the legs to the back of the egg.   If you use smoke use very little because poultry takes on smoke very easily so it’s easy to over smoke  

analyze adapt overcome

• I’ve never cooked a turkey on my egg but still wanted to bump your thread. 

Little Rock, AR

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Oooh this is my favorite.  Soften a stick of butter and mix in a big handful of your favorite herbs.  Thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper.  Set the egg up indirect, no drip pan or water pan or anything, smoke with 2 chunks of fruit wood.  Or whatever wood you have.  Cook until internal temp of 165.  Pull it and let it rest as loooong as you want.  You can go all crazy "mad max" and such but dang that's a lot of work.

MOST importantly don't trust anyone around here name Matt.  Or Brent.

No wait, most importantly, that's a cute kid you've got.  Merry Christmas!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • My vote is to Spatchcock it. Whatever way you choose have fun!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    If you run with a non-spatched bird indirect at around 325-350*F figure on around 12 minutes /lb but always go with the finish temp.  Spatched depending on the bird size, raised direct the whole cook should take around 100-120 Mins.
    So what is spatched-here's a link (focused on chix but good for all poultry):
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 3.75lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400/425 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook Turkey to temp (not time) breast @ 155/160 and thigh @ 165.
    Cook Chicken to temp breast 160.
    Rest both 10 mins.

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
      Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Love the hospitality here, everyone has been so nice and willing to help. I love my BGE, I have cooked everything from chicken, fish, burgers, steaks and veggies, and everything has turned out great. This is my first time cooking something this big and of course there are so many ways to prep the turkey. Just looking for great ideas and what works best for everyone. Was thinking of putting the turkey (18lbs) in a brine today (early this morning) and start cooking early Sunday. Love the way you cooked your turkey Mickey, I never heard of doing it that way. I will post pics once its all said and done. In the meantime, please keep all the suggestions coming, I will probably pick from some and add a few touches of my own as well. Thanks again lousubcap, don't egg on me, blind99, and thanks again for all the help Matt!