Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cherry smoked "Game On" spatchcock chicken ... great colour

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,104
edited December 2017 in EggHead Forum
Cooked an extra large chicken raised into the dome. Rubbed with Dizzy Pig Game On rub and smoked over cherry, the colour on this was fantastic. I've never had a chicken go this colour before though, guessing it's something to do with cherry smoke.

I cooked it raised to crisp the skin up (this worked a treat) and also to get drippings from gravy. The gravy had a slight smokey note to it, which was a pleasant surprise. No plated shots, was too busy eating it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    That is a seriously great looking bird! 

Well done, @Stormbringer:)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Fayborg
    Options
    Nice job,  looks fantastic!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,534
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Great cook and you are correct.  That deep colour is the cherry wood.  The trick is to balance the quantity of cherry smoke wood with the colour/smokiness of the poultry you are cooking.  Play around with it-you can ramp it up, especially  with a turkey and end up with true magazine quality food pron.  FWIW-
    Edit: color(...ur)  spelling corrected to reflect OP's preference.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks outstanding. That chicken must have looked like Kim Kardashian. Thighs are so thick the chicken is bow-legged. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Stormbringer
    Options
    Cheers, folks.

@lousubcap - good to know and haha. :)
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk