Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peanut Oil's (any oil's) shelf life

Options
With Christmas just a few days away I'm prepping for the big cook. Ham, leg of lamb, and of course a fried turkey for the nearly 30 I'll have at my place on Christmas day. I have over 20 gallons of lightly used peanut oil in the basement where it's always cool and dry. I have no idea which container was used when. Some is from last year and some from who knows. Other than the smell and taste test anybody know of any issues with frying in old oil as long as it smells and tastes okay? 

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone. 
Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    General thoughts are that used oil can be stored up to 2 years in a cool dark environment.

My thoughts... why experiment on your guests? :)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    If it is older than a year, I would throw it away and get new one.  Rancid oil can ruin a meal and peanut oil is one of the worse IMHO.

Options
    Use any containers that are mostly full. Its not just heat and light that causes rancidity, but oxygen also. Kind of like an opened bottle of wine. I'd be dubious about the oil if it was in plastic containers, as opposed to glass or tin. Seems those go bad after a few years.

In the short term, they don't cause health problems, just distaste.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    sounds like along time. i rescently tossed most of the oils in my house, they started smelling like window putty.  you could test some on  chicken parts now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it