Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham Choice (Brand)

Options
I realize that asking this question is a little like asking.....how high is up, or how low is down, but here goes....I plan on doing a double smoked ham for Christmas dinner. Likely it will be just my wife and I, but we like leftovers. Does anybody have a ham brand that they just can't live without, or one that you would like to suggest for me to try?  I live in western NY so regional products may or may not be available to me. I'm not trying to brand bash, but I have found that every Smithfield product that we have tried, is just too salty for our taste. Others may find that they are perfect for them. Oddly enough, for as long as I've had my BGE, this will be my first ham, and I would like it to be a success....Thank you all!!
Franklinville, Western NY

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Cooks brand is the ONLY one I will buy and egg now for many years! Trouble is that company along with another or two was purchased outright a year or so ago by some Chinese conglomerate. While the Chinese have decided to carry on with the secret recipe and I have purchased a couple since then I always wonder when that may change.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    Smithfield owns the cooks brand and produces the hams and Smithfield is owned by a China company.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I’ve done a Cooks brand ham (shank) almost every year for the past several years. It was hard to find that brand this year, for some reason. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    Kentucky Legend

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• CornfedMA
    Options
    A good, semi-local choice for you would be Harrington’s out of VT. Never had their ham, but their bacon is on point. Also a big fan of Edwards in VA. Currently have a whole 1/4 of their “Surryano” ham. Unbelievably good. Wife and I will spend Xmas eve with that, good cheeses, great bread, and of course, bourbon. Good Luck. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Cooks is fabulous and very affordable.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Cooks for years and years
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ima_good_egg
    Options
    Aldis has a ' never any' ham that is terrific. Kinda their organic brand. It's not too salty, and the flavor is great.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    everybody is going to bash the aldis ham but its the mildest in regards to salt and i look forward to when its in stock, its not year round.  second choice is cooks or corando. the very best is calefs but its in store pickup only in nh or shipped.  really, try the aldis ham
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Kirkland's Master Slicer is excellent. Unfortunately they only come in 1/2 hams now.
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options

Aldis Ham is pretty good. only meat I will buy there though!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I've been buying the Smithfield Reserve hams lately and they are good.
    I haven't been double smoking them, just a simple reheat in an oven bag in the oven. I reheat to 125 degrees internal temp and glaze with brown sugar/coke cola.
    The hams are well received at the table. always moist.

I do expect to find a fortune cookie in the ham package any day.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Cooks fan here also.....have done many of them. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    <shuffling feet in the corner>  I bought a $7 John Morrell at the Commissary today, will be following this thread the rest of this season.

I have purchased a few hams from Harrington's, as @CornfedMA mentions above, and they are delicious; completely forgot about them this year.  

Regarding Smithfield hams, I though I had read years ago that they needed to be soaked a couple times before you heated them up, perhaps that's why they were too salty?  (I've never had one)  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Eggscuses
    Options
    Kayem triple m buddaball.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Just saw a Boarshead whole ham advertised on the tube. They do make a good product. Anyone had one?
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    Botch said:

Regarding Smithfield hams, I though I had read years ago that they needed to be soaked a couple times before you heated them up, perhaps that's why they were too salty?  (I've never had one)  
    The Smithfield's that would need to be soaked are the country hams. The country hams are the ones that don't need to be refrigerated.

The common variety that you get in the refrigerated cases don't need to be soaked.

I keep meaning to order a Harrington's, but I always think about it too late to get one in for the holidays.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Just saw a Boarshead whole ham advertised on the tube. They do make a good product. Anyone had one?
    Never bought a whole ham, but I always buy 20 - 24 freshly sliced pieces of Boarshead Tavern ham from the deli and then wrap them individually in foil and freeze. Great tasting ham for sandwiches - even fixed some grilled ham and cheese sandwiches yesterday!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options

Boars head Sweet Slice is delicious...but pricey!!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Duuane
    Duuane Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everybody. I couldn't find the Cook's brand locally. I bought a local brand, Sahlens, that I never gave a thought to, because we only ever bought their hot dogs. and they are very good. I love ham, so I plan on trying some of the other brands suggested.   Merry Christmas!!    Cheers!!

Franklinville, Western NY