Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wauwatosa, WI

Anyone live near Wauwatosa, Wi?  The wife and I are thinking about moving up North from Dallas,TX to be closer to family in Chicago.  Just curious about the area and quality of life.
XL BGE
WSM 18.5
Currently live in Southern Oklahoma/ North Texas region
Born and raised in Chicago! Da BEARS

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Grew up near there, my sister has been in 'Tosa for the last 15 years and have a lot of high school friends there.  Dad was the school district business administrator for 20 years.

Good quality of life, good schools, taxes are a bit ugly.  do you need to be in the metro area or could you get away with living 30 to 45 minutes out of the city?
  • tferk
    tferk Posts: 34
    Have you ever lived in the nort? We can get all 4 season's in a week. We have a daughter and her family live close to there. Go Pack ;-)

• Im from Chicago, but have been in TX for the past 6 years after taking a job. I have family in Chicago and would like to move back in the general area. DA BEARS!
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Stay out of IL unless you cannot avoid it. Just up in WI offers much more bang for the buck. 
  • Thats why we are thinking WI vs IL.  Don't think ill ever cheer on the Pack
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • I would be open to living outside the metro area.  Can you make any suggestions regarding good cities within 30-45min driving distance?
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    We are more familiar with the west side of the state and Iowa. The same sort of dynamic exist. Things booming in Iowa and literally right across the river there is much less going on due to terrible political mismanagement for decades by the legislature run by Mike Madigan.  

I would love love to be somewhere outside (south or west) of Milwaukee. You would be able to enjoy both cities. Milwaukee is lovely IMO. Personally not up to speed on the particular communities. Good luck! 
  • I would take a look at the Oconomowoc/Delafield/Lisbon/Sussex areas.  Northwest of Milwaukee.  Depending on where you are commuting to, it will be around 30 minutes to downtown depending on traffic. 
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • I grew up in Oconomowoc, now live on the East Coast. I can say that Oconomowoc has boomed the last 10 years. You will definitely get that country vibe if you want it, or that urban vibe if you want to live closer to downtown...or if you can afford it, a place on the water. The city has 5 lakes.

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    I grew up and live about 35 minutes north of of the city, and work on the Northwest side of town.  There are many very nice suburbs in and around Milwaukee in addition to Tosa.  Oh, and even with the weather, grilling/BBQ season starts on January 1 and ends on December 31 in Wisconsin.

• rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Live in Milwaukee now. 30-45 minutes in any direction from downtown Milwaukee and you will end up in a farm field.  
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    TOSA is nice.  Be sure to eat at Ballistreris Pizzeria on 67th .  Cool old homes, really high prop taxes, get ready to love the Packers and Badgers....oh and winter...
  • Thanks for all the suggestions.  Looks like I will be heading North the weekend of the Jan 21st for a interview Monday morning in Tosa. I might just have to check out Ballistereris Pizza for a celebratory slice.  Da BEARS!
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    I would just say, live anywhere upstream of where Foxconn builds.  When they start violating environmental ordinances and polluting your water, the state officials will turn a blind eye.... just sayin..... ;)