Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatballs

Options
I am considering doing some meatballs tonight on the BGE, and then putting the smoked meatballs into pasta sauce and serving over spaghetti.  But I am wondering should I put some Dizzy Pig (or similar) over them? Any recommendations?  Would it distract from the flavor when added to the sauce?

I was thinking about cooking indirect.  Also, should I worry about the meatballs falling through the grate?  I don't have anything smaller, but should I cook them in some type of a foil pan with a few holes in it to allow the grease to drip through?

Thanks...
Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I would put the rub in the meatballs as you make them. And hopefully it won't washout in the sauce. A foil pan will work. Or a cooling rack well sprayed with cooking spray. With a raised Drip pan on the platesetter.

I use a perforated pizza pan when I make Scottie's Balls!

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    If you're looking for Italian simply season as if you were cooking them inside. BBQ meatballs with a pasta sauce doesn't sound appetizing to me. 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Here is one way I like to do them.
    Meatballs, Meatloaf, Beef, Pork, Venison, Richard Fl

Did a batch of meatballs 325F for 45 minutes indirect with rosemary wood for smoke.

1 Meatloaf and 52-2 Ozs meatballs
    INGREDIENTS:
    21/2 Lbs Venison, Ground for Chili
    1 1/3 Lbs. Ground Chuck
    1 3/4 Lbs. Ground Pork
    3 Whole Eggs
    10 Ozs Italian Bread Crumbs
    1 Large Vidalia Onion, Chopped Medium
    1/2-3/4 Cup Spicy Ketchup
    1/2-3/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
    2-3 Tbs. Dijon Mustard
    1-1 1/2 Pkg. Lipton Onion Soup Mix
    1 1/2 Cups Cooked, Broken thai Jasmine rice, cooked in beef broth
    1/2 Lb White Button Mushrooms, diced
    Coarse Peppermill Black Pepper, to taste
    *****Sauce, 1 Meatloaf*****
    1 Cup Spicy Ketchup
    1/4 Cup Dijon Mustard
    1/2-3/4 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
    2-3 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar
    1 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
    Ground Pepper to taste

PROCEDURE:

1. I did half meatloaf and 1/2 meatballs. Recipe works either way.
    Meat balls were cooked BGE indirect 325°F for 45 minutes and pulled around 160-170°F. did not add any sauce to the meatballs while cooking.

2. The meat recipe makes 2 nice 10 inch diameter loaves and they are about 1 1/2 - 2 inches thick. The sauce is for one meatloaf. The meat recipe may be halved or the other loaf frozen, which is what I do.

3. When mixing the meat and other ingredients, mix about 1/3 saltine crackers and 2/3 Pepper Ridge stuffing, do in 1/4 -1/2 cup portions so as not to dry out the mixture. (Optional) used just bread crumbs this time.

4. Covered with the sauce at the beginning of the cook.

5. You want the sauce to be thick. if necessary thin with water or more vinegar. Slather all over! Nice to have a little sauce left over, to serve with.

Yield: 1 Meatloaf and 52-2 Ozs meatballs

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Meat

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2006/09/05*
    Web Page: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1092712&catid=1

Author Notes
    2008/09/14--Richard Fl--did this one this weekend and placed about 1/3 pound provolone cheese in the middle.  Great Cheese Meatloaf.
    or turkey

Turkey, Meatballs, Ground, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    2 Lbs Turkey, Ground
    1 Large Onion, Chopped Small
    2 Whole Eggs
    1 Cup Favorite BBQ Sauce
    1 Pkg Lipton Onion Mix
    "OR"
    1 Pkg Knoor's French Onion Soup Mix
    2-3 Tbs Dijon Mustard
    1-1 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
    1-2 Cups Italian Bread Crumbs To Bind
    BBQ Rub of Choice

Procedure:

1. Mix all ingredients except turkey and bread crumbs. Then mix in turkey. Slowly add in portions of bread crumbs, careful not to add so many that the meatballs will be dried out. Make meatballs about 1-1 1/2 inches in diameter. Sprinkle with your favorite BBQ rub.

BGE:

1. Set up BGE for indirect cook at 350°F and add some smoke of choice. I used apple. Place meatballs on rack with a smaller grid pizza rack to keep the meat from falling into fire. Cook about 35-45 minutes. Can be frozen

2. Will probably make great turkey burgers & meatloaf. If meat loaf pull at 150°F.

Yield: 3-4 Dozen

Recipe Type: Appetizer, Main Dish, Poultry, Side Dish

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/10/24**
    Web Page: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1034293&catid=1
    A variatrion:
    Turkey, Sausage, Meatballs, Ground, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    3 1/2 Lbs Turkey, Ground
    2 Lbs Sausage, Hot, Tennessee Pride
    2 Large Onion, Chopped Small
    4 Whole Eggs
    1 Cup Bacon Bits
    2 Cans Water Chestnuts, Chopped coarse.
    2 Cup Favorite BBQ Sauce
    2 Pkg Lipton Onion Mix
    "OR"
    2 Pkg Knoor;s French Onion Soup Mix
    2-3 Tbs Dijon Mustard
    2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
    2-3 Cups Italian Bread Crumbs To Bind
    2-3 Tbs Black Pepper
    2-3 Tbs Garlic Powder
    tsp Basil, Dried
    Favorite BBQ Rub, I used Dizzy Pig Raging River

Procedure:

1. Mix all ingredients except turkey, sausage and bread crumbs. Then mix in turkey and sausage. Slowly add in the bread crumbs, careful not to add so many that the meatballs will be dried out. Make meatballs about 1-1 1/2 inches in diameter. Sprinkle with your favorite BBQ rub.

BGE:

1. Set up BGE for indirect cook at 350°F and add some smoke of choice. I used apple. Place meatballs on rack with a smaller grid pizza rack to keep the meat from falling into fire. Cook about 45-60 minutes. Can be frozen

2. Will also make great burgers & meatloaf. If meat loaf pull at 150°F.

Yield: 135

Recipe Type: Appetizer, Main Dish, Poultry, Side Dish

Source
    Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '08. Richard Fl*
    Web Page: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1034293&catid=1