Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig vs. Meat Church

Options
I used to see predominantly DP rub mentions on this forum but lately the vast majority of rubs I see noted are Meat Church.  Is there a difference or is it just something new?

Cuz I still have a lot of Dizzy Pig in the cupboard to work through...
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Same here, I' have a lot of DP to go through first.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Both good products. Both great eggheads 
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I like DP but I’m not above using meat church  just never purchased any. Like the fact that both are eggheads. Once I run out of DP I will purchase meat church 
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    For me, starting out my egging this past summer I was looking at both. The price point was better with Meat chruch for a 4 pack $33 vs $40. But I’ll more than likely try dizzy pig when these run out. Some of them sound very good 
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    We have a pretty good line up of both. I use the heck out of Holy Cow on anything beef. Red Eye Express gets used on just about anything, love that stuff.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I prefer MeatChurch 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Taste is a personal thing, but yes, there is a difference. 
    Happy tasting!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but I want variety. Lots of great rubs out there. Here's the current collection 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Hans61
    Options
    Yeah I do have dizzy pigs too :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I use them both extensively along with Lanes and others. What I appreciate most about Dizzy Pig is the extensive variety of flavor profiles. Everyone has a good or even great BBQ seasoning, but few have ones I consider out of the main groove so to speak. I love that they have so many unique and different varieties. That is their greatest distinction. Always fresh and quality product too. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I use DP more for grilling seasonings.  I make my own rubs for pork butts, briskets, ets.  But DP's variety are some that can never be duplicated on taste or quality.  Each one is very unique.  Buy the sampler pack and give them all a try on some chicken breasts, pork chops, or blade steaks.  You'll get the full spectrum of what you can do with them.

The big thing with DP is the ingredients are (in this order):  Spices, THEN salt or sugar.  So many others are:  Salt, Sugar, Paprika, THEN spices.  That's want commands the higher price......salt and sugar are CHEAP (except in DP where it's sometimes Maple Sugar--NOT cheap).

• ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    I use both, however for my Brisket i use meat church holy cow
    O-Town, FL

• CarolinaQ
    Options
    I've found Meat Church Holy Cow is the best beef rub I've ever used. I never put anything but S+P on strips or ribeyes but I now put Holy Cow on almost every time. So good. 
  • Hans61
    Options
    Anyone use the meatchurch gourmet garlic and herb?
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    I was introduced to DP rubs here and there are a few that are my go-to favorites.

As far as rubs go, there are SO many out there to be sampled.

Right now, I'm currently digging the Oakridge line and Myron Mixon's rubs. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Great feedback folks, thanks.  I did not know if there was a big differentiator or if it was just a new player and people liked having the variety.  I suppose Holy Cow is the one I hear mentioned most, so I'll try that one first.
    The big thing with DP is the ingredients are (in this order):  Spices, THEN salt or sugar.  So many others are:  Salt, Sugar, Paprika, THEN spices.  That's want commands the higher price......salt and sugar are CHEAP (except in DP where it's sometimes Maple Sugar--NOT cheap).
    Now THIS is good intel.   I also like when rubs list the exact ingredients as opposed to some that get away with just saying "spices" ...that cracks me up.

I do always look at the ingredients and value the ones that don't have Salt listed first. I mean, really... we can add extra salt if we want it.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Hooter
    Hooter Posts: 134
    Options
    Taste is a personal thing, but yes, there is a difference. 
    Happy tasting!
    Chris

Hey Chris, good to see you!  Long time no speak.  Hope you are well!
  • Hooter
    Hooter Posts: 134
    Options
    Both DP and Meat Church are great rubs.  But don't forget to consider how long Chris (Nature Boy) has been a supporter of BGE, this forum, and so many people who have learned to cook right here.  Thanks Chris! 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I’ve yet to meet Mr Meat Church, but Chris came to one of our Eggfests in Omaha a couple years ago.  Super nice guy, and he gave my deep dish pizza a thumbs up.  Plus, Dizzy Dust is what I use for pulled pork.  It is phenomenal.  

That being said “Meat Church” is such a great brand name.  He could have crossed the sacrilegious line by going by Brisket Messiah or BBQ Jesus, but he hit the sweet spot.  The name alone makes me want to buy his product.  And a T-shirt.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I use both plus some others, they all have their individual flavors. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    One thing I now for sure is that there are plenty of great ones (on the advice of many) I have yet to try, but that's part of the fun.
    Stillwater, MN
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Had the pleasure of drawing a Texan this past year for the Rub exchange. I have enjoyed Meat Church rubs and have enjoyed them. I love some DP rubs as well....Pineapple Head and Mole are a couple of my fav’s. Bottom line....they are both excellent. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • HurricaneT
    Options
    I really like meat church rubs. Haven’t tried out dp, but definitely will give them a try soon.
    XL BGE
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    MHP wnk gasser

Miami, FL
    Go Canes
  • vcool
    vcool Posts: 26
    Options
    I've got an extensive collective of both and continue to buy both.  The wife finds the DP flavour profiles between the rubs alot "further apart" than the Meat Church rubs.  Not that the Meat Church ones are all similar, but just the different DP rubs are very very unlike one another, and its great.  Lots of innovative flavours and just a high quality amazing product.  We're big fans of the Tsunami Spin, Dizzy Dust, Swamp Venom among others.

On the other hand the Meat Church is a more uniform gind, which can be helpful sometimes, and the Holy Cow is amazing on all things beef (Holy Cow meatlof!  Holy Cow burgers, you name it!).  And the Honey Hog Hot is great on wings and popcorn and nuts and.... well alot of stuff.

Basically they're both great and you can't go wrong with either one.  The best option is to get both, and try them all then resupply the best ones, as there are some that have some overlap in taste or purpose.
    Ottawa Canada, Cigars, Hunting, Fishing and Egging
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I use both brands, recenty I have been using Honey Hog on Pork Butts with great results.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I might be one of the few on here that hasn't used any rub from either of these companies.  I never got any from the sauce/rub exchanges, but the rubs I did get were top notch.  Plowboys yardbird is an amazing rub for chicken, and I bought a 5lb bag of it on amazon once my initial large bottle ran out.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • pgprescott
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I might be one of the few on here that hasn't used any rub from either of these companies.  I never got any from the sauce/rub exchanges, but the rubs I did get were top notch.  Plowboys yardbird is an amazing rub for chicken, and I bought a 5lb bag of it on amazon once my initial large bottle ran out.
    I have literally used a hundred different rubs and have yet to use one that I think is poor. Some have a bit too much salt and if you know that and apply lightly are just fine. Yardbird is a great rub. I tend to gravitate and focus on some of the brands that offer different and diverse flavor profiles these days. That is not to say I don’t use the ole standbys. 
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Love them both also. DP is my got to for Butts. Both for wings. I like DP on Chicken. But John Henry's Texas Chicken Tickler is awesome on chicken too. I like John Henry also. Plowboy's great on chicken. I have so many brands my wife hates my rub addiction.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL