Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boos block question

Options
a little elf leaked some information. Apparently I’m getting a boos block cutting board  for Christmas. I’ve always wanted one but I don’t quite know how to best care for it. Is there anything I need to do before/after using?  Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    It will come with care instructions. 

But it I've had mine over 15 years and stopped oiling it years ago and it's still in great shape. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i use an oil wax on mine once every winter but the first few years maybe every other month.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I'll wax mine every few months. I use mine strictly for veggies. I have a seperate cutting board for meats. Don't feel that you need to only buy Boos waxes. You can pick up waxes at big box stores for much cheaper 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • steel_egg
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I'll wax mine every few months. I use mine strictly for veggies. I have a seperate cutting board for meats. Don't feel that you need to only buy Boos waxes. You can pick up waxes at big box stores for much cheaper 
    Should I keep meats off this board?  I was planning on it as a multipurpose cutting board?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    steel_egg said:
    WeberWho said:
    Should I keep meats off this board?  I was planning on it as a multipurpose cutting board?
    No need. I just like to keep them seperate. I don't like the idea of all that juice soaking into the block. Clean up is easy with the no meat rule. Not really necessary though. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    steel_egg said:
    WeberWho said:
    my boos is the whole counter, 42 inches wide, everything gets cut on it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    You can go to any corner drug store and get some Laxative Lubricant.  It's just mineral oil and is cheaper than buying block oil, which is the same thing.  I used to melt a little paraffin wax into some mineral oil on occasion for extra protection.  Got lazy, so it's usually just oil now.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I want one, almost got one several times, but I keep thinking it may be a pain to maintain.
  • steel_egg
    Options
    Thanks for the help. 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I have one. You just need to put mineral oil on it for the first couple days/weeks.
    Mountain View, CA
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    stompbox said:
    I want one, almost got one several times, but I keep thinking it may be a pain to maintain.
    Nope. Pretty easy, really. The occasional oiling and/or wax, and otherwise simply wiping it down after use. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yep, I smear a good coat on before bed, and it's mostly absorbed in the AM.  The board will let you know when it's thirsty, it will have a grayed over, dryed out look.

I did the beeswax thing for a while, but mineral oil soaks are the most important.

Have cut many different animals, and bushes, on the same board, zero illnesses.  The self-absorbing microbiotic properties help.  

The more anti-bacterial products you use, the quicker your board will dry out.  Flour will dry it out too.

I do a light scrub of Dawn occasionally for stuck on crusty stuff, but mostly it's damp paper towels to get the bits, followed with a dry paper towel.

Mineral oil is cheap at your local pharmacy.  I picked some up at Wally World recently.

Coat all sides when you oil.  And like CI, maintenance is ongoing, not just for 2 weeks.  It's not bad at all.

My board is one of the better, if not the best,  foodie purchases I've made.  It is the focal point of the kitchen.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Focker said:

Coat all sides when you oil.  And like CI, maintenance is ongoing, not just for 2 weeks.  It's not bad at all.

I was about to mention to coat all sides, but Focker beat me to the punch line. 

If you don't, one side will swell with moisture and the other won't.  The board will be come concave on one side and convex on the other and will be ripe for splitting.  So apply the mineral oil/wax/whatever on both sides every time.  If you have an end-grain that's like 6-18 inches thick, this won't matter because the glue joints are so large.  But most are thinner. Importante!
    Thanks folks. Once again, the right place for answers. I appreciate all your input  
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    I'm about to pull the plug and purchase one of the Boos islands. Will I be able to get to the underside to oil it as well? Rethinking my purchase. 

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    My Boos block was one of my best purchases ever.  I use it way more than I thought I would.  I pretty much use it every day and I cut anything and everything on it.  It never leaves my kitchen counter.  At first, I was all freaked out about maintaining it and avoiding cracks, but you will ease into a routine that requires no thought.  Wipe it down with a damp, hot cloth after each use.  Every couple of months or so give it a good rub down with this.  Hit all sides and edges evenly.  One bottle will last you a couple of years. 
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia