Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best accessories for medium?

Options
asking for a friend. I know CGS is pretty limited, but what are you favorite medium accessories?

Comments

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I have the woo with handles from the Cgs for raised direct and for a 2 tier option for cold smoking. Also the pellet tray for cold smoking. That seems to be all I need.
    I do have some CI I use, one larger that I cut the handle off
    Also have the green egg pizza stone

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    here is what you can find on ceramic grill for the medium:

indirect setups, convector or woo/stone(s)
    raised direct with woo
    easy way to lift out the set-up, add handles to woo
    all bge eggcessories
    dual temp zones with half stone
    woks
    smokeware cap
    kick ash basket
    electronic controllers
    drip pans
    multiple pizza stone sizes
    grillgrate 
    cast iron grid
    replacement felt
    spiders
    ash rake
    lump rake

Did this off my head, so may be missing something.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@Woodchunk nailed it.  One addition I'd make is a kick ash basket.  Personally I'd add a smokeware cap and call it good.

Phoenix 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    A separate cast iron grid. I put on on top of the fire ring, place 3 bricks on their sides on it, then the second grid on them. That gives me raised direct right at the felt line. Other than that a Looftlighter and Thermapen plus the platesetter that was in the original purchase.
     I just bought a 6.5 inch cast iron skillet a few minutes ago. Not ready to recommend it or not just yet.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    For sure a Woo and stone...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I recommend the 12” BGE stone over a 10” stone. The 2” of extra indirect area makes a difference. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I recommend the 12” BGE stone over a 10” stone. The 2” of extra indirect area makes a difference. 
    Agree 100% if it rests on the Woo cross bars. 12" is tight if you drop it down on a spider.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    A large 
    I will have to disagree with you.  

The medium gets the nod 80% of the time here. Short and hot cooks , the med shines. It also makes easy work from long cooks too though. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Really a raised direct setup and a indirect setup for one and possibly a KAB.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    A large 

The medium gets the nod 80% of the time here. Short and hot cooks , the med shines. It also makes easy work from long cooks too though. 
    I kid. I know, the medium is a beast. Probably the most underrated of the lineup. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    A large 

I kid. I know, the medium is a beast. Probably the most underrated of the lineup. 
    It’s probably close to 95% here. Awesome cooker. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    My medium does nearly all of the cooking here (XL, 2 L’s, M, MM, Mini). It’s my favorite egg by a long mile. I’ve boiled it down to two accessories that I use every time. The woo, and the kick ash basket. I do a lot of raised direct cooking and the medium woo is perfect. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    ah...well...ah...I have an idea...but if he REALLY is a friend then you already told him about a $10 expenditure that will last him for years for his Medium...but then what do I know?  :)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    we redesigned the medium woo couple months ago to fit the 15.75" new cooking grid.  Woo brings the stone up above the fire ring. Now the stone can be 13" dia. with 14" drip pan. Great coverage now. 

I'd go two 13" half stones to add dual zone capability and handles for easy in and out. 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • ptgraphics
    Options
    I have a medium that I have had for sonly a few months, bought it used. No accessories yet. Looking forward to checking out some of the recommendations listed above. My Medium Egg has the old style fire ring. Not sure about the cooking grid size.
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    CI pot with lid or Dutch Oven. I like my medium It is my only egg and I cook 100% of my egging on it. There are two of us and the idea of cooking anything bigger than will go on the medium sounds like the old cliche-two people and a ham=eternity. It handles a 14 pound turkey for Thanksgiving. The leftovers stayed at the grandkids' house.
    Cooking on the coast
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I did a 15.3 lb turkey spatchcocked. Now it was a tight fit but there were extenuating circumstances, namely it was the only non frozen one in the store with no time left to thaw out one of the ice bergs.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    A woo and a stone are necessities.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Options
    I have a medium that I have had for sonly a few months, bought it used. No accessories yet. Looking forward to checking out some of the recommendations listed above. My Medium Egg has the old style fire ring. Not sure about the cooking grid size.
    The old style grid was 15 inches, Not 15.75. If you get a newer style SS grid for it, it wont fit properly on the fire ring. It will fit on the woo however. Just a heads up. 
  • SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    Options
    I recently bought my parents a medium as an anniversary gift over a LBG. It’s their first egg, and they will only cook for 2 maybe 3 people from time to time. Any large holiday party/get together will be over at my house....(LBG and MM) so I figured a medium would be fine. They are assembling it tonight, already ordered a woo, stone and drip pan from CGS.  
  • ptgraphics
    Options
    Sundazes said:
    The old style grid was 15 inches, Not 15.75. If you get a newer style SS grid for it, it wont fit properly on the fire ring. It will fit on the woo however. Just a heads up. 
    Thinking about getting the newer fire ring. Would I have more options with the new one? Would my top grate work with the newer fire ring? I need to check out the accessories more because I really am not sure yet what most of these things do or how they work. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Sundazes said:
    Thinking about getting the newer fire ring. Would I have more options with the new one? Would my top grate work with the newer fire ring? I need to check out the accessories more because I really am not sure yet what most of these things do or how they work. 
    Give Tom a call at Ceramic Grill Store. A 2 minute phone call will yield you way more. And spend some time looking over his web site. There are lots of great photos.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Mine came with the platesetter so I added a custom made raised grid to cook at the felt line.  Ordered it from 
    http://michaelscustomgrillworks.com/products.htm

Nice heavy stainless steel grid and legs.  He probably still has the specs he used for mine to save you the trouble of measuring.

Otherwise I would go with the set-up @tjv posted.  I have the woo for my XL and use it all the time.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • dshaffes
    Options
    Here's my most useful medium accessories: Kick Ash basket, Cast Iron Grate, Smokeware SS Cap, Smokeware 4" Grate Stacker w/ 12" Grate, Cast Iron Placesetter, Grate Lifter, Pizza Stone, Ash Tool, Grate Rack, Small V Rib/Roasting Rack, Drip Pan.  All of these get used on most cooks or quite frequently.
  • gregroscoe
    Options
    kick ash basket, thermopen, baking steel (they don't crack), woo and of course bourbon

Medium BGE, Large KJ, 22 Backstone, vintage U.S. made Treager, 

Sioux Falls SD