Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal grate covered under warranty .

Options
my xl grate is cracked badly . Dealer said it wasn’t covered under warranty .
I thought it would be ?

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    3. METAL COMPONENTS: METAL COMPONENTS: Metal, Stainless Steel and Cast Iron components of the EGG (including the metal bands, hinge mechanism, cooking grid, fire grate, upper vent cap and lower draft door) carry a Limited Five (5) Year Structural Integrity Warranty to the original purchaser. The Big Green Egg makes every effort to utilize materials that resist rust and to apply high temperature coatings on metal surfaces. However, metal materials and protective coatings can be compromised by surface scratches or exposure to substances and conditions beyond BGE’s control. Among other things, chemicals, chlorine, industrial fumes, fertilizers, extreme humidity, lawn pesticides, trinidad moruga scorpion peppers and sodium chloride are some of the substances that can corrode paint and finish on metal coatings. For these reasons, the Warranty on Metal, Stainless Steel and Cast Iron Components DOES NOT COVER RUST, OXIDATION, FADING, DISCOLORING, BLEMISHES or REPLACEMENT DUE TO ADJUSTMENT OR ALIGNMENT OF PARTS OR COMPONENTS, unless it also results in a loss of structural integrity or a failure of these components of the EGG.  Band and Hinge Alignment and Adjustment support is available from an Authorized Dealer.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    It’s warranted for five years 
  • kl8ton
    Options
    trinidad moruga scorpion peppers. . . Interesting
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options
    How long have you had your egg OP?
    Grand Rapids MI
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I had my fire grate replaced under warranty. 5
    years 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Your dealer must replace it if it is within the 5 year warranty period!
  • fairchase
    Options
    5 1/2 Year’s what do you expect 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Probably some folks here that have an extra one they would sell cheap.
    Options
    Looks like you're S O L time wise so why not just go with one of the several after market products available rather than replace with an original style? For me I love my Kick Ash Baskets!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I keep running my stock grate that's cracked. I had mine replaced just before warranty expired. I never ended up switching it out for the new one thinking about it. The grate is cracked and a little warped but it still does its job without any issue. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    Buy a kick ash basket rather than buy a new grate and you'll save money.  That plate is $85 MSRP!!
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Buy a kick ash basket rather than buy a new grate and you'll save money.  That plate is $85 MSRP!!
    That's crazy! Under $23 with free shipping on Ebay

Minnesota
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    WeberWho said:

An XL cast iron fire grate on eBay for under $23 shipped??  It would cost $20+ just to ship that thing.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    They don’t recommend using the KAB without the grate on the XL. FWIW.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:

An XL cast iron fire grate on eBay for under $23 shipped??  It would cost $20+ just to ship that thing.
    My bad. I was thinking it was for a large egg

Minnesota
  • stlcharcoal
    edited December 2017
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:

If his plate hasn't fallen apart, it will still sit in there.  With the weight of the basket above it, it will actually hold it in place.  Or just weld it back together.  It might not be good for putting charcoal directly on it anymore, but it's not destined for the trash can just yet.

It's like a cracked firebox, you can run it for quite a while as long as the firering is still intact.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Wouldn't see why a guy with a hack saw and a strap of metal from a big box store couldn't cut a piece to lay across the bottom to support the KAB. Wouldn't be hard to do at all IMHO.  =)
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    RRP said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Wouldn't see why a guy with a hack saw and a strap of metal from a big box store couldn't cut a piece to lay across the bottom to support the KAB. Wouldn't be hard to do at all IMHO.  =)
    It's not about support, it's about heat deflection.  KAB can support itself and not warp, but since the firebox is so shallow and wide on the XL, that's a lot of heat beaming down rather than up.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    RRP said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    It's not about support, it's about heat deflection.  KAB can support itself and not warp, but since the firebox is so shallow and wide on the XL, that's a lot of heat beaming down rather than up.
    Thanks for explanation! I did not know that.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Mine cracked a couple years ago.  The replacement is sitting in the basement waiting for the cracked grate to fail.  It still holds the charcoal and the grill cooks fine.  Only time I know it's not perfect is when I clean out the egg and see that it is cracked.

Unless yours has failed and does not hold up the charcoal, keep cooking and keep your money in your wallet. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.