Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Different hams

Options
I am thinking about doing a ham for Christmas and I was wondering weather going with a fresh ham is really worth it.

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Hams are cured.  Fresh hams are not.  Do you really want to try to cure it yourself? If your guests/family is expecting ham, they are expecting the cured product, not pork roast.  Home curing a ham can be rewarding, but decide if you really want to undertake that yourself.  You are also running short on time to get one cured by Christmas.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Abarnette
    Options
    Hams are cured.  Fresh hams are not.  Do you really want to try to cure it yourself? If your guests/family is expecting ham, they are expecting the cured product, not pork roast.  Home curing a ham can be rewarding, but decide if you really want to undertake that yourself.  You are also running short on time to get one cured by Christmas.
    Wow I didn't realize curing one would take that long but I guess the method of cooking that ann Burrell used isn't the same as a cured ham. That only took a 4 day brine and a 1 day cook. 
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    edited December 2017
    Options

We used to do Honey Baked hams at $50-$60 per ham.  I found this method several years ago and have done it ever since.  Everyone says it's as good as HB and about 1/3 the cost.

GLAZED HAM

Ingredients

·        2 cups brown sugar

·        1 cup Dijon mustard

·        ¼ cup apple cider vinegar

·        ½ tsp black pepper

·        Precooked, unglazed, spiral cut, bone-in ham

Place ham in roasting pan and sit at room temperature at least 30 minutes.

Combine all other ingredients. 

Preheat oven or grill to 325 degrees.  If cooking on grill, setup for indirect.  

Cook foil covered ham for 15 minutes.  Remove foil and brush with ½ the brown sugar mixture.  Continue baking uncovered and baste with pan juices every 10 minutes.  After 30 minutes brush ham with remaining brown sugar mixture and cook an additional 15 minutes.  Remove and let rest for 30 minutes.  

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    A whole ham (uncured) can be a delight. Like above...just know what to expect. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Abarnette
    Options
    I was thinking I would do one the ann Burrell way within the next week just to see how I liked it. I also saw something where ray lampe did one but I guess it wasn't a true ham because he didn't even mention a brine. 
  • jtcBoynton
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Time is determined by thickness of the meat.  The Burrell recipe may call for a relatively thin piece.  A large full leg will take a lot longer to cure.

added edit:  Burrell recipe is for a roasted fresh ham that has been brined.  It is not a cured ham.  Sounds like a great pork roast, but don't expect it to be a classic cured ham.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    To clarify terms. A ham is the rear leg of a pig. The shoulder is the common name of the fore leg. Both have the parts below what on a human are the elbows or knees cut away. Whole ham sometimes refers to the entire leg.

Commonly, a ham is cured, and smoked. What Ann Burell's recipe does is make a ham, brined. I've done that a few times for holiday meals. It is not what most people expect, but my elderly mother-in-law was delighted, and said "I haven't had a ham that good since I was a child." So, the result could be very good, but not what is now the standard for "ham.". But, low sodium, no cure, and if cooked leaving some pink near the bone, nice and tender and much more flavorful than a loin roast.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Here's my ham question:  a few years ago I bought a spiral-sliced ham.  I thought the cut went all the way to the center, allowing you to simply pull off a slice with tongs for an easy serving, even easier for sammiches.
    But, that cut only goes in about 1" or so; what's the purpose?  I would think that just allows the meat to dry out quicker.   :confused:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• jtcBoynton
    Options
    If you got a spiral-sliced ham that only had 1" cuts, you got a defective piece. The cuts do go down to the bone, if done correctly.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    ^^^ Thanks, that makes more sense.  Even the pictures I see of SSH, it looks like the slices go all the way through.
    Will try another one this xmas, methinks.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    And uncured ham makes a nice roast. We've done a couple over the years and the family loves them. I brine for a few  hours then roast like you would a beef roast.

But, a cured ham requires the pink salt in the curing mix and there's at least a million ways to mix you basics. I've used pink salt mixed with kosher salt in a box tilted to drain off the juice or, you could use the same salt mixture in a big ziploc bag and turn it from time to time for a week or two. Google it and you'll find a ton of ideas.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Webass said:

We used to do Honey Baked hams at $50-$60 per ham.  I found this method several years ago and have done it ever since.  Everyone says it's as good as HB and about 1/3 the cost.

GLAZED HAM

Ingredients

·        2 cups brown sugar

·        1 cup Dijon mustard

·        ¼ cup apple cider vinegar

·        ½ tsp black pepper

·        Precooked, unglazed, spiral cut, bone-in ham

Place ham in roasting pan and sit at room temperature at least 30 minutes.

Combine all other ingredients. 

Preheat oven or grill to 325 degrees.  If cooking on grill, setup for indirect.  

Cook foil covered ham for 15 minutes.  Remove foil and brush with ½ the brown sugar mixture.  Continue baking uncovered and baste with pan juices every 10 minutes.  After 30 minutes brush ham with remaining brown sugar mixture and cook an additional 15 minutes.  Remove and let rest for 30 minutes.  

Thanks, going to try that this year with a Costco spiral cut ham.  Honeybaked hams are now $70-$80 vs $25 at Costco