Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Pizza cook on my new BGE - Amazing

Options
2»

Comments

• tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    Welcome aboard, I only wish my pizzas looked as good as that! I learn things here every time I log on.... And I always enjoy the humor almost as much as the cooking tips.
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • run53
    run53 Posts: 121
    Options
    Well, thanks for all the inspiring comments folks........and some new ideas to try as well. Glad to have found this community as I learn how to use this new toy.
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • pinballLooking
    Options

Do you have a link to the recipe you used? Your Pizza looks great I want to give it a try.

• run53
    run53 Posts: 121
    edited November 2017
    Options

Do you have a link to the recipe you used? Your Pizza looks great I want to give it a try.

I'm flattered  =) 

I don't really have a link, but here is what I do...

The Dough:
    2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
    1 3/4 Cup Warm water (about 110 degrees)
    4 Cups Flour
    1 TBL EEVO
    1 TBL Kosher Salt

In kitchen-Aide mixer bowl (equipped with Dough hook) add the warm water to the yeast and stir it and rest until it starts bubbling (5-10 minutes). Then add the flour, salt and EEVO and mix on #2 speed for a few minutes until it forms into a mass. If it's too sticky, add 1 TBL flour at a time until it's only a little sticky to the touch. Take it out of the mixer and knead by hand a little to form a ball. Coat a bowl with EEVO and place the dough ball in and cover tightly to let it rise until doubled (about an hour or so). After the first rise, punch it down and cut into (2) equal pieces (makes enough for (2) 14-15" pies) and form each one into a ball. Place each dough ball into a EEVO coated bowl and let it rest for 15-30 minutes. Remove them from the bowl onto a floured surface and form it to a circle. You can use a roller but I use just my hands to stretch the dough...takes practice to get a nice round pie.  

If you don't have a Kitchen-Aide, you can mix and knead by hand...just takes longer...same result though.

After you get your round dough, place it on a pizza peel that has been coated with cornmeal. Brush some EEVO, salt and pepper on the dough and start to top it. 

For sauce, I just use a can of San Marzano tomatoes (I crush them by hand) and add some EEVO, salt and pepper to them. If you live near a Bertuccis' restaurant, they will sell you a cryovac bag of their tomatoes for $9.99 (they are really good). The bag will make about 8-10 pizzas. I add nothing to them.

For cheese, I cut slices of fresh mozzarella and put on top of the tomatoes. Then whatever topping you like. The one in the picture was half basil and half chicken/pepperonchini peppers.  I usually put fresh basil on top of the pie after I cook and cut it. Although when i went to Italy, they cooked the basil into their pie. Depends on how you like it.

The rest is all about the Egg.......

I preheated the Egg,Plate Setter (legs up), grill and pizza stone to about 550-600 degrees for about 30 minutes. Then I just slide the built pizza onto the stone and wait about 8 minutes or so. Remove with the pizza peel when the crust is golden. Of course cook time depends on how you like it. 

Don't build the pizza and let it sit too long while the Egg is warming up. Sometimes if I try to make them too far ahead of cook time, they get a little soggy and may stick to the peel. I've learned from experience not to get any liquids(EEVO/sauce/etc) under the uncooked pie or on the peel itself. 

Give it a try......and let me know how it comes out. 

Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @run53 Nice pie, some of us are still chasing the round pie.  

Welcome to the forum.

Phoenix 
  • pinballLooking
    pinballLooking Posts: 127
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thanks for the detailed instructions. There is hope for a good Pizza cooked on my BGE in the near future. I do have a kitchen-Aide and I will put it to work.