Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Fixing Mini Max

I bought a Mini Max to compliment my large.  The Mini Max is great but it got too hot, too fast.  I replaced the bottom grate which is just wire with the grate from the large.  Fits great (grate) and the heat is slowed.  It's still hotter faster than the Large but much more manageable.  Tango

TangoT2

><(((°> ><(((°> <x)))>< ><(((°>

Only dead fish go with the flow.

Comments

• YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 5,755
    Welcome and Nice setup.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• yljktyljkt Posts: 798
    This could be the 1st time I've heard of a MM heating up too fast. What grate did you replace? 
  • Glad its working better.  It seems if it was faster than your large, the large is the likely egg with the issue.  My small that the MM was based on was notoriously slow, and the MM is better, but still the slowest egg of all my sizes (Mini, MM, Med, L, XL).

John - SLC, UT

2 XLs, Large, Medium, MM, and Mini

• Direct my max goes pretty quickly, indirect, not so much. Very slow. HighQ grate
    Jason NW GA- home of carpet and Mexican restaurants
    LBGE, MM, BS (Blackstone and the other kind)
    One sorry Labrador

My chili did not suck. 
  • Here is a pic of the OEM grate.  I would get the temp up to what I wanted, tamp it down (close the bottom way down and top) and go get the meat and a beer.  Come back and it would be 600 and climbing.  There is no restriction on air flow with that grate!   

TangoT2

• Well.  Isn't that special!  For Sale - Kick Ash Basket.   =)

TangoT2

• Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 7,994
    TangoT2 said:
    Well.  Isn't that special!  For Sale - Kick Ash Basket.   =)
    Keep it for your high temp cooks.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • I use that kick ash basket on my MM. works fine, just adjust your vents differently. 

John - SLC, UT

2 XLs, Large, Medium, MM, and Mini

• tml1230tml1230 Posts: 220
    I use that kick ash basket on my MM. works fine, just adjust your vents differently. 
    I agree, mine works great with a little vent adjustment.
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • When the MM first came out, a cook at Eggtoberfest said the same thing. There is a slight learning curve. It only makes sense, smaller area heats up faster. I will tell you if you do a long slow smoke, a pizza stone on the plate setter worked well for me. I usually to those on the large though.