Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smobot Thoughts after First Use

Options
Jcrosson
Jcrosson Posts: 29
edited November 2017 in EggHead Forum
Initial impressions after one use is I'm impressed.  I attempted my first overnight cook last night (6lb pork butt).  I started my fire at 9pm.  After 15 minutes, I turned the Smobot on and let it stabilize my temperature.  Bottom damper was open between 1/3 -1/2.  I had my set point temp set at 225.  Took an additional 30 minutes for the Smobot to get the temp to 225.  I put the meat on at 10pm and went to bed.  I probably checked my phone every 1-1/2 to 2 hours.  Most of the time the temp variance was 1 degree.  Looking at the graph this morning, there was a 1 time that it varied 6 degrees.  The butt stalled at 156 deg for 4 hours.  I got up at 7 and wrapped the butt in foil.  I pulled the butt off at 9:30 this morning at an internal temp of 203.  I really like being able to set the temperature and forget it.  I was a little cautious last night not being familiar with the Smobot, but will be able to sleep like a baby next time.  I hope when the app is released it includes a meat temp alarm.  I had to check my phone throughout the night to make sure I didn't over cook the butt in case this particular one did not stall.  No regrets on buying my Smobot.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Thanks for your comments, @jcrosson.  I smoked a brisket for TG, didn't think my SMOBOT would arrive on Friday but it did.  I'll be eating leftovers until next year so I'll get to try mine out then.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• pinballLooking
    Options

Thanks for sharing your first cook. I get mine on Monday I look forward to using it.

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    According to the graph you wrapped the butt at about 7:08  =)
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Jcrosson
    Jcrosson Posts: 29
    edited November 2017
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Haha.  I edited my original post. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Thanks for the info. 
  • SSQUAL612
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Jcrosson said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Haha.  I edited my original post. 
    That violates forum ethics.  Where’s the Buffalo when you need him.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    You pulled the butt at 930. How long did you FTC?
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    Wait till everyone has one and it crashes the server  =)
  • Jcrosson
    Options
    Gym said:
    You pulled the butt at 930. How long did you FTC?

No. I just finished pulling the butt. I should have said I pulled it off the egg at 9:30.   By the way, what is FTC??
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Foil Towel Cooler 
  • flexfusion
    Options
    VERY GOOD REVIEW.....LOOK FORWARD TO USING MINE.  HOPEFULLY NEXT WEEKEND WITH A BUTT.  FOOTBALL HAS DOMINATED MY WEEKENDS.  WAR EAGLE!  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • Verndog
    Options
    Great review! Waiting on mine, it should be here by Thurs. I plan to use my Smoke to monitor low and Hi temps.  You might want to add one of those to your arsenal. 
  • piperpilot
    Options
    Thanks everyone for support of our Thanksgiving sale.  We are trying to get everyone's orders shipped as quickly as possible, but the sale response was much higher than we anticipated.  We should have all orders shipped by the end of the week in a first in first out order.

Glad to see all the successes!

Curtis
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Congratulations.

• jeponline
    Options
    Got mine late last night, about the latest mail has ever been delivered to my house.  Couldn't resist trying it today, so I currently have some chuck short ribs running.  Temp has been holding awesome so far.

One question for everyone, I've never used temp monitors or controllers before, but all the wires are definitely a bit out of control.  Any recommendations for how to keep them clean and easy to move where need them during a cook?
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    jeponline said:
    Got mine late last night, about the latest mail has ever been delivered to my house.  Couldn't resist trying it today, so I currently have some chuck short ribs running.  Temp has been holding awesome so far.

One question for everyone, I've never used temp monitors or controllers before, but all the wires are definitely a bit out of control.  Any recommendations for how to keep them clean and easy to move where need them during a cook?

I always run my wires through the back of the Egg. It is a lot easier, and I do not have to fight with them everytime I open the Egg or adjust the meat.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • NavalAV8R
    Options
    Just placed my order for one. 20% off through 11/28
    North Augusta, SC
    LBGE, offset smoker
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    jeponline said:

I run mine out the side towards the back, probably about 2 o'clock position (my BGE is on left side of table). What I focus on is running the wires over the leg of the platesetter to try and avoid direct heat on the probes/wires.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Botch
    Options
    The Man In The Brown Shorts™ brought me my new rechargeable battery pack today, so I hooked it up to SMOBOT and started playing.  My 5 GHz router didn't show up, so I went to the website and posted a question (which was already half-answered in the Q&A section).  My laptop was running out of juice so I turned off/unplugged everything, went into the den and fired up my iMac, and SMOBOT's Curtis Pope had already answered my question via email!  
    Kudos to these guys, I'm sold and haven't even used the item in a cook yet!  :triumph:

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Botch said:
    The Man In The Brown Shorts™ brought me my new rechargeable battery pack today, so I hooked it up to SMOBOT and started playing.  My 5 GHz router didn't show up, so I went to the website and posted a question (which was already half-answered in the Q&A section).  My laptop was running out of juice so I turned off/unplugged everything, went into the den and fired up my iMac, and SMOBOT's Curtis Pope had already answered my question via email!  
    Kudos to these guys, I'm sold and haven't even used the item in a cook yet!  :triumph:
    That was about the response time I had to a question when I was setting up for the first time. Very prompt, and thorough.
    Stillwater, MN
  • jeponline
    Options
    Worked awesome for a quick 4 hour cook yesterday. I’m going to do another quick cook tomorrow for some wings at 375, then I’m really going to test it out this weekend with an overnight pork butt. 

Also improvised a case using the smobot box for the controller, anker battery pack I bought and cables and probes. 

Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Jcrosson said:
    Initial impressions after one use is I'm impressed.  I attempted my first overnight cook last night (6lb pork butt).  I started my fire at 9pm.  After 15 minutes, I turned the Smobot on and let it stabilize my temperature.  Bottom damper was open between 1/3 -1/2.  I had my set point temp set at 225.  Took an additional 30 minutes for the Smobot to get the temp to 225.  I put the meat on at 10pm and went to bed.  I probably checked my phone every 1-1/2 to 2 hours.  Most of the time the temp variance was 1 degree.  Looking at the graph this morning, there was a 1 time that it varied 6 degrees.  The butt stalled at 156 deg for 4 hours.  I got up at 7 and wrapped the butt in foil.  I pulled the butt off at 9:30 this morning at an internal temp of 203.  I really like being able to set the temperature and forget it.  I was a little cautious last night not being familiar with the Smobot, but will be able to sleep like a baby next time.  I hope when the app is released it includes a meat temp alarm.  I had to check my phone throughout the night to make sure I didn't over cook the butt in case this particular one did not stall.  No regrets on buying my Smobot.
    Thanks for the feedback.  Impressive that you were able to "set and forget" on your first cook with the Smobot.  That certainly was not the case with my controller.  :blush: .  When you say that your bottom damper was opened 1/3-1/2, do you mean 1/3" or 1/3 open?  I am really wondering how it will hold up with the black gunk that will build up over time.  I am slowly buying into the concept and design and the ability to control using only the daisy wheel.  I have some experiments planned to see if I can control temp by opening the bottom vent 100% and throttling temp with the daisy wheel.  My learning curve years ago included both.  Thanks again.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options
    Jcrosson said:
    Thanks for the feedback.  Impressive that you were able to "set and forget" on your first cook with the Smobot.  That certainly was not the case with my controller.  :blush: .  When you say that your bottom damper was opened 1/3-1/2, do you mean 1/3" or 1/3 open?  I am really wondering how it will hold up with the black gunk that will build up over time.  I am slowly buying into the concept and design and the ability to control using only the daisy wheel.  I have some experiments planned to see if I can control temp by opening the bottom vent 100% and throttling temp with the daisy wheel.  My learning curve years ago included both.  Thanks again.
    Not the original OP, but the bottom damper is normally run 1/3- 1/2 open (not in inches).  Also, I have at least 60 hours of cook time on the smobot and the damper is not all that gunked up.  I just make sure it has free movement before plugging it in.  There is a short video on their website showing how to free up the damper if it is stuck.
  • lowandslow
    Options
    Had every intention of buying one last night from the Thankgiving sale, but instead, I passed out on the couch in front of the TV and missed out.  Hopefully they have a Christmas sale!

Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • Botch
    Options
    jeponline said:
    Worked awesome for a quick 4 hour cook yesterday. I’m going to do another quick cook tomorrow for some wings at 375, then I’m really going to test it out this weekend with an overnight pork butt. 

Also improvised a case using the smobot box for the controller, anker battery pack I bought and cables and probes. 

Nicely done!   I noticed that my battery pack would fit in the SMOBOT box once the damper was removed also, and am "borrowing" your idea to glue in a divider.  Perfect!  

• Jcrosson
    Options
    dsleight said:
    Jcrosson said:
    Not the original OP, but the bottom damper is normally run 1/3- 1/2 open (not in inches).  Also, I have at least 60 hours of cook time on the smobot and the damper is not all that gunked up.  I just make sure it has free movement before plugging it in.  There is a short video on their website showing how to free up the damper if it is stuck.
    Yes the bottom damper was 1/3 open not inches.